Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: 1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone had any input on the 43' Type 60 listed in the classifieds today? It appears the seller is selling a chassis and possibly a 52' body as well. But im not sure of the chassis; it looks like it has the correct rear shocks, "none" body mount towers, etc.; However it clearly has later floor pans, later 49/50 front axle, and appears to be missing the choke tube near the shifter? I am not an expert on the type 60 by any means. No VIN has been posted so far. Just seems very interesting to discuss. At $42K asking price seems steep...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds Reply with quote

Definitely a '43 Typ60 chassis Wink
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thebubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds Reply with quote

Its a real 43.. Some parts are not correct, but he has the correct front beam and lots of parts for it.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds Reply with quote

Thebubblehead wrote:
Its a real 43.. Some parts are not correct, but he has the correct front beam and lots of parts for it.

cool. I wasnt trying to nit pick the ad, just very interesting. So it must have had later floor pans at some point. He should post the VIN and pics of the other "correct" parts he has. Curious for anyone more knowledgable than me, what is different about a type 60 chassis compared to type 11 post war?
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds Reply with quote

The link on the ad takes you to his post of the history and pics of all the parts with the car. Its a very cool story. It says that the body was badly damaged from "many" accidents and was discarded, possibly buried under a public road! He has most of the parts needed to restore the car, it would make an interesting project for sure. Im curious of how many differences there are in a type 60 body to a pst war beetle. If someone were to tackle this project, and using the 52 body as a donor, how much changes would be needed? Other than the obvious front trunk area, etc., etc. Are there any other body differences compared to say 46-48??

PS There's a 43 engine in need of resto listed for sale on TS now too....someone can complete the puzzle.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds Reply with quote

Thebubblehead wrote:

"Some parts"? Almost every part on that chassis is a later part. Basically what you have is a '43 tunnel and a few bolt on parts that are correct. The front suspension, transmission and the floor pans are all later along with the majority of the other parts. I agree with Virtanen that this was probably one of the VW Factory reconditioned cars.

It is pretty ambitious to try to sell that as a '43 that can be restored.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Thebubblehead wrote:

"Some parts"? Almost every part on that chassis is a later part. Basically what you have is a '43 tunnel and a few bolt on parts that are correct. The front suspension, transmission and the floor pans are all later along with the majority of the other parts. I agree with Virtanen that this was probably one of the VW Factory reconditioned cars.

It is pretty ambitious to try to sell that as a '43 that can be restored.

Id have to say I agree with you Splitjunkie, you're basically getting a 43 tunnel and VIN # and a bunch of post war parts that could be bolted on. If there was a 43 body with the chassis even if it was totally roached the car would probably already be sold. But to pay that much for basically just a tunnel I'm not sure the sellers going to get that price don't get me wrong there are lots of cool parts there and I personally know how expensive parts can be to buy up. I think this goes back to the age old discussion of "how much of the original car needs to be there before it can be considered a restoration?" people have been weighing in on that for years....
but its surely whats left of a fricking ultra rare car.....
Type60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds Reply with quote

Hi.

As you all say. This is a KDF tunnel with a 1943 VIN. ( 1-0199XX) To change a later body to look like a KDF is a huge job. And it will never be a restored KDF. It will be a reconstructed , KDF lookalike..... But registered as a 1943 KDF. It will cost you a ton of money, and a lot of time.
If you want to go all in. You could try to buy the body from the KDF that was found on the roof of a gas station in Poland some years ago . The body number on it is probably only 10 numbers off the number this car had.

This is not for the poor, or the faint hearted...... And if it is not for any of you. I will keep the car and maybe finish it myself.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds Reply with quote

Type60 wrote:
Hi.

As you all say. This is a KDF tunnel with a 1943 VIN. ( 1-0199XX) To change a later body to look like a KDF is a huge job. And it will never be a restored KDF. It will be a reconstructed , KDF lookalike..... But registered as a 1943 KDF. It will cost you a ton of money, and a lot of time.
If you want to go all in. You could try to buy the body from the KDF that was found on the roof of a gas station in Poland some years ago . The body number on it is probably only 10 numbers off the number this car had.

This is not for the poor, or the faint hearted...... And if it is not for any of you. I will keep the car and maybe finish it myself.

Well said Sir, and I appologize if it sounded like I was trying to downplay the significance of what you have. I simply posted the topic because it is very interesting, and it is probably the first time a type 60 or even part of a type 60 has ever been posted for sale on the Samba that I can recall. As far as value, i know you probably have easily 20k in parts or more. Regardless, whether its a whole car, half a car, or 10% of a car, its still VW history and its worth someone doing something with it. Hopefully someone with the ambition will tackle it. Its just a fun interesting topic and thought it warranted discussion.
Type60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 KDF Type 60 for sale in classifieds Reply with quote

No offence taken Telephunken. Laughing

I just consider this good publicity for the ad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: