Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.

Which seat is best?
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
EMPI
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Corbeau
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

I have been taking my 63 Beetle to autocross events lately and been having a blast. One small niggle, even though I am cinched tight in my harness, the stock seats do a very poor job of keeping me in place. Hard turns leave me going slowly while desperately grasping the steering wheel to keep in place. Bad for lap times and for safety.

As such, I have a conundrum. Which seats would be best suited for autocross fun while still seamlessly coalescing with the early 60's cool of my Beetle.

I currently have a tattered pair of 914 seats that are in need of recovering. However, seat covers in the gray vinyl I want seem non existant. So I would have to make seat covers myself.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next choice would be the EMPI Roadster seat. But again, no gray. I would have to dye the seats the color I want. But at around $200 each, not bad.

Final choice is the Corbeau Low-back suspension seat. They come in the gray I want and are priced at $199 each. But how would a suspension seat act on a street driven vehicle?

I am equally torn across the three. Maybe less so on the 914 seats as the side bolstering is not quite as deep and the extra work of making new seat covers. But it would be cool to keep things in the family.

Thoughts, experience, and opinions are welcome. Please help me make up my mind!!!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

Maybe you could find one seat that fits you well, mount it to a stock frame to use the stock sliders, install it when you race, and reinstall stock seat when done?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

The plan for any one of these it to mount them to the bottom half of the stock seat frames. I also would not mind the look of a late 60's period racer. I would really like to have some seats that could be installed long term and not just for racing.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

914 gets my vote.

Empi is Empi- they are not in the business of making racing seats.
Corbeau's are super nice, but so are Recaros. Mastercrafts, etc. All modern and all boring- and far from period.

Thinking of it another way, the 914 was the first production car to be reportedly able to pull a "G" in the slalom, Not bad for early 70s. I can't prove it, but I'd bet they used a factory 914 with factory seats for the testing.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

Not a big modern day EMPI fan, but I saw and sat in a set of their seats at my friends shop and they are pretty nice for the price. Real close in look to the Outlaw Speedster seat
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat. I have Recaro's in my 61 now but want to go back to low backs when I put the car back together. Was thinking about adding bolster to stock seats or doing the Speedster style
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

Another member was looking for seats for their dune buggy and came across these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/311941074748?dispItem...noapp=true
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Another member was looking for seats for their dune buggy and came across these.

These ebay seats are seriously tempting. Especially at $250 for a pair! I am just not too sure about the grommets, They have another option with less grommets. However, as they only come in black, I would have to dye the seats and the grommets might make it a little harder to dye.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

Yep. Especially since they come with sliders as well. I have a dunebuggy I’m redoing and these are in serious play as an option.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

Wow- those are a nice looking best-of-both-worlds choice. Odd they have JDM" in the name- when they look like European knockoffs from the 60s. I guess like OEM, JDM is a catch phrase used to sell all kinds of stuff.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

See I didn’t even catch onto the JDM thing. Guess it’s somewhat ironic with JDM and then the nod to Germany with the use of “werks”.
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's input. However, I have made a decision that has gone against the consensus.

Two things influenced my decision:

1. I had a coupon

2. My lady's expert opinion

I purchased the EMPI Roadster seats. They are quite nice! Comfy and they look like they will keep my back side in place during spirited drives.

CIP1 had a coupon deal so I took it. I also purchased some vinyl dye so I can match them to the rest of my interior. I am going to clean them up tonight and start spraying them tomorrow. I will post pictures once the color change is complete.
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

*AHEM*

Pics of your Beetle auto-xing? I miss the auto-x life.
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

I don't have any pics, but I have an onboard video.

Link

You can sort of see how hard I am gripping the wheel to keep from sliding around.

Last edited by WesleyGarrard on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

Wow! That looks fun! Oh yeah, looks like you're holding on for dear life. I hope the new seats help
Cheers!
Mike
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

Mr. Mike wrote:
Wow! That looks fun! Oh yeah, looks like you're holding on for dear life. I hope the new seats help
Cheers!
Mike

That's a blast! 2nd gear and keeping the tach needle close to lunch time the whole way! Why would anybody want to drive in a straight line after doing that?

Lest we forget the big thing here- A thread whereby the poster puts his money where his mouth is! Cool

R-E-S-P-E-C-T !

FU#5
Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

That. Is. AWESOME!
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

As promised, here are photos of the EMPI Roadster Seats after they have been dyed.

I am quite pleased. I am eager to get them in the car.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

Do you have a build thread or anything? I'm curious what all you've done to set the car up for autocross use.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Best Seat Choice for Autocrossing a 1963 Beetle Reply with quote

I do not have a build thread that highlights everything I have done.

The car does have widened wheels. I run 195/60R15 Goodyear Eagle GT tires.

I have lowered the rear to get a few degrees of negative camber.

Added Superior Control Bars to the rear.

The engine is a 1600cc Single Port. Dual Solex 34PDSIT Carbs, Engle 110 cam, 1.25:1 Rockers, Stainless Sidewinder 1.5" Exhaust.

The interior is mostly gutted. I removed the rear seats, rear side panels, and the headliner.

So it has a little more grip, a little more power, and a little less weight.

I did not really set it up for autocross. We just hopped down the rabbit hole recently when we had an event locally. It showed me what limitations the car had. So far, my butt staying in the seats have been the only limit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: