Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg center caps
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Wolfsburg center caps Reply with quote

I just got a set of these wolfsburg caps for my 5 spokes, and I was wondering if they fall off easy. There are some small allen bolts on the inside. Do they give enough pressure to stay on there?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you tighten those set screws good and tight or they will come off. I knew someone that kept losing those caps got fed up and he went as far as JB Welding them on. he never lost another one.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Thornton
EMPI Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of those once and they fit differently in every different 5 spokes i had, at the time i had 3 different sets
just make sure they are good and tight
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that they might fall off fairly easily. I might just JB them too to be sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
actorboy
Samba Bum

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have those on my car. I had to grind down the wheel bearing caps on the front to make them fit. Otherwise when I put the cap on the wheel, put the wheel on the car it would push the cap off. If you take the wheel bearing cap off the car and try to insert it into the cap you will see what I mean. Now that it is ground down the bearing cap will fit all the way into the center cap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have that bearing cap problem with mine. I think that my rims have enough of an offset that it doesn't matter. I did end up using some lock-tight in the threads, and they aren't going anywhere.
Fleisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those caps seem to sit tight enough inside the wheel that they almost act as a grease cap. I had an issue with the grease cap fitting and therefore don't have a working speedometer anymore but the tires are so much smaller that the speedo wasn't right anyway.
As far as the small hex screws go, I had to take off and put on the cap on one of the wheels a few times and each time, I had no problem with them staying on. I would be concerned that JB Weld would possibly cause an imbalance in the wheel.
To sum up, tighten the screws and they shouldn't fall off.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loc-tite
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: