Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autostick issues and options
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick issues and options Reply with quote

volkenstein wrote:
sb001,
Does your manual have all the pretty coloured piccies of the A-S system in action? I know 68Autobug has heaps of pics - but with the demise of photobastards - I know my piccies are not appearing.

Sorry my pdf copy of the autostick manual doesn't really show much of anything except black and white diagrams/ photos. Don't think there's anything in there that shows the system actually in action.

volkenstein wrote:

People say they can hear a "duck fart" sound when the solenoid is fired.

This happens on mine but not when I shift- it only does it when I shut the car off after driving and engine has warmed up (I guess pressure buildup and release?) It sounds like one of those moo-cans you turn upside down. The neighborhood kids get a kick out of it.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick issues and options Reply with quote

volkenstein wrote:
sb001,
Does your manual have all the pretty coloured piccies of the A-S system in action? I know 68Autobug has heaps of pics - but with the demise of photobastards - I know my piccies are not appearing.

Eviloval,
The CV connection from the right hand port of your carb just needs to provide 5 in/hg MAX to modulate the vac signal.

As per the diag sb001 posted - some additional info.

The inlet manifold creates vacuum (say 20 in/hg on a good day) that feeds the CV Inlet (just below Part 11). Parts 9,10,11 function so that when the CV/Vac Canister suction becomes equalized the valve (Part 9) gracefully closes off suction. The system stores enough vacuum to do 2-3 shifts.

When you are in cruise etc, you let off the throttle to shift. This creates the vacuum signal feeding the CV. Parts 16 thru 19 & 22 are in play.

Hand goes on the stick to change gears, No 1 fires pushing No 7 OFF it's seal. Vacuum activates the clutch servo diaphragm & you shift. Your hand goes off the stick and you hit the accelerator. Parts No 7, 16 thru 19 & 23 return to normal (SEATED) - Away you go in a new gear.

The only thing I have not been able to define is whether Part No 20 filters air INBOUND, or OUTBOUND (to normalize the clutch servo). People say they can hear a "duck fart" sound when the solenoid is fired.

Going back to my first statement. An incorrect Vac signal/timing is the main cause of "slamming". This is a problem when you start talking dual carbs or whatever. Cobey (Ghia forum) ran an auxiliary vac pump from a dual Kad IIRC) equipped 2276 he worked on. That was years ago. The Vacuum system feed can easily (sort of) be replicated. Drill/Tap/pipe or fitting work.
You can fab or move elsewhere the ATF & VAC tanls etc etc. You are only limited by dollars & ingenuity.

Why 100bhp at the brochure? 180mm clutch plate and the pressure plate isn't the strongest. That build I mentioned with Cobey did not let the clutch last. A fella in the UK turboed (Big Turbo with high boost pressure) his and fried the clutch in 3 burnouts. His plan was to go 4 speed anyway.

Drilling that port in the carb is perfectly fine. Just go for a stepped hole as per the post on vwar.org .

Volkenstein

*speldchekkd a bit

Volkenstein, thanks for this additional info and explanation. Looks like I was mistaken about a few things in my description. Very Happy
I think I finally have a thorough understanding--the only thing that still confuses me a bit is the operation of the reduction valve (#19.) Are you saying letting off the throttle allows ported vacuum in from the carburetor to operate that valve (thus the purpose of that smaller vacuum line from the carb)? And then while that valve is "unseated," you shift thereby activating the control valve's solenoid and allowing vacuum through from the tank to the clutch servo? Is this correct?

1600 SP engine
eviloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick issues and options Reply with quote

I've drilled the port in the carb, replaced the fuel pump and cleaned up the engine bay a little. I'll be starting it up next weekend after I finish repainting my pans and getting my fuel tank from the radiator shop (boiled out). I've got some simple bone head questions:

-I'm use to using a quick throw shifter....scat, hurst type. Can I use a quick shift kit (empi) or am I reduced to rowing the gears?

-That also leads to shift extensions....can I use one or will it be an issue?

And...this one is way out in left field. But, is there any parts from a Sportomatic (Porsche autostick) that are interchangeable with the VW? It appears the Vacuum tank is useable....but would need to be mounted above the transmisstion (like a Saxomat type autostick). But, ie can I use parts from the porsche control valve to rebuild mine (in a pinch)....or the servo, torque converter etc. Just trying to see options on parts if I need them in the future....and to give myself a larger resource.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick issues and options Reply with quote

eviloval wrote:
I've drilled the port in the carb, replaced the fuel pump and cleaned up the engine bay a little. I'll be starting it up next weekend after I finish repainting my pans and getting my fuel tank from the radiator shop (boiled out). I've got some simple bone head questions:

-I'm use to using a quick throw shifter....scat, hurst type. Can I use a quick shift kit (empi) or am I reduced to rowing the gears?

-That also leads to shift extensions....can I use one or will it be an issue?

And...this one is way out in left field. But, is there any parts from a Sportomatic (Porsche autostick) that are interchangeable with the VW? It appears the Vacuum tank is useable....but would need to be mounted above the transmisstion (like a Saxomat type autostick). But, ie can I use parts from the porsche control valve to rebuild mine (in a pinch)....or the servo, torque converter etc. Just trying to see options on parts if I need them in the future....and to give myself a larger resource.

I am not familiar with the quick shift kit but I don't think it will work in the autostick, at least not without some serious modification:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287157

I don't see "rowing" the gears as much of a big deal in the autostick cause you are only shifting once in the entire speed range! (From Drive 1 to Drive 2.)

Not familiar at all with the sport-o-matic or saxomat, however if the control valve appears similar to the regular autostick one, I don't see why not.
Here is a thread I posted sometime back on disassembly of the control valve if it helps:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658404&highlight=

1600 SP engine
eviloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick issues and options Reply with quote

My 1st drive was good, just around the block a few times...not great since they're issues. Car wants to slam into all gears. So, I'll need to adjust the control valve a little to get the shift to be smoother. There's a lack of power but that could be a list of issues and I need to go thru the motor and clean /tune it up. But, I'm happy so far....even if there is some work to go. But, here's how its looking at the moment (don't mind the background the neighbors are rebuilding their house from a fire).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But, here's a question that may require some thinking out of the box. In regards to the quick shift it won't work without modifications either to the shifter wire or to the kit itself. It sits right where the wire would be....so that idea is gone. But, has anyone used a different shifter other than the stock one? I've looked a few ideas using my old dragfast shifter with either a push button to manually control the clutch to seeing if the porsche microswitch from a sportomatic could be modified to work. Or, to keep it simple using the whole shifter from the sportomatic in place of the stock one. I understand this isn't the stock/purist approach but this is just a matter of taste since I've never been a fan of the stock shifter (4-speed or autostick). Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

Also, has anyone used a later transmission with a "park" option in an earlier car? While I have an ebrake I'm kind of iffy with it since I'm not 100% confident that the car will stay in place on its own.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick issues and options Reply with quote

Never had any experience with the sport-o-matic, didn't even know it had an electrical switch in it what's that for? Is it motin-controlled like the regular contacts in the base of the autostick shifter? --i.e. it needs to ground out when the car is in gear and complete the circuit back to the control valve when moving the selector.
Also no first hand experience with the later autsoticks with the "park" feature, sorry..you may ask over on www.vwar.org someone on there will probably be familiar with it.

1600 SP engine
eviloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick issues and options Reply with quote

Still trying to figure that out myself. I've joined with vwar.org so hopefully can gain more info there. Here's pics of the sportomatic shifter and contacts:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: