Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running very poorly
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuusj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running very poorly Reply with quote

Hello,

First of all, English is not my native language, excuse me if something is unclear Embarassed

A few months back I replaced the worn out 1300cc F-engine in my Tunis Yellow Jeans Bug with a rebuilt 1641cc engine. The first 150-200km's it ran just fine, but then it began 'misfiring' while on a drive. Drove back home, next day everything was fine. A few weeks later the supposed misfiring came back again and went worse as km's went by.

At around 400km's on the engine I went to my mechanic and he checked the timing (which was off a bit), checked the spark plugs (which had the right brownish color), and checked the spark plug cables. Cylinder 3 wire had come loose. We pushed it in and it was so stuck it wouldn't come off again. Problem solved... At least I thought... 50km's went fine, and back was the hesistation when accelerating. Back to mechanic, and he replaced the sparkplug wires because cyl #4 wire was broken in half. I had a year old Bosch set of cables, now he put in 80 Euro Beru sparkplug-cables and new Bosch W8 sparkplugs just to be sure. Sure enough: problem gone. Until another 50km's.

This time we took apart the carburettor and checked jetting, replaced the distributor with a new one, and went ahead and adjusted the valves. Intake valvespring on cyl #2 was broken Sad Took 5 hours to replace that, but sure enough: the engine ran better than ever Smile Only to go on a drive a few days back and completely lose power after 6km's of driving. The engine could hardly keep itself going. Mechanic came to the rescue, we checked timing and that was all over the place while running idle (which was almost impossible in itself because when it finally started it wanted to die without extra throttle). Checked valveprings and they were all fine. When we repaired the valvespring we also did a oil-change. The oil had no metal particles in it.

Driving was near impossible because it would not increase in RPM much if given more throttle and ran like absolute sh*t so we towed it home.

Now we don't know where to search for the problem. I'm getting it towed to his workshop tomorrow and there he is going to run a cable directly from battery to engine to see if something in the electrics is broken. The battery charges fine. Carb gets plenty of fuel, my OEM distributor has both vacuum and centrifugal advance and when the engine was tuned up that worked perfectly. It had very good power when the valvespring was fixed. I'd say around 60-65hp.

Do any of you experts have any clue on what to look for? It's like it doesn't get the electrical power it needs to properly ignite. Coil measured 4 Ohm's. We did a compression/leak test on cyl #2 to check for damage because of that broken spring, compression was perfect. What puzzles us is that the problem went away every time we did something to the engine. I started it today and after 25 seconds of cranking it fired up running extremely poorly so I shut it off.

Engine specs; No expenses spared, most expensive fuelpump etc.
- Linebored AB AS41 case
- New 1641cc AA-pistons
- New EMPI heads
- New OEM crank
- New W100 cam
- New oilcooler/oilpump/distributor/high power Bosch coil/Beru -
plugwires/Bosch sparkplugs
- Completely revised 34PICT carb
- Couple years old Bosch 44A Alternator
- New fuel pump
- New high power Bosch starter

Thanks a lot for your input Very Happy

Last edited by kuusj on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

kuusj wrote:
A few months back I replaced the worn out 1300cc F-engine in my Tunis Yellow Jeans Bug with a rebuilt 1641cc engine.

Engine specs; No expenses spared, most expensive fuelpump etc.
- Linebored AB AS41 case
- New 1641cc AA-pistons (87mm pistons)
- New EMPI heads
- New OEM crank (69mm stroke)
- New W100 cam
- New oilcooler/oilpump/distributor/high power Bosch coil/Beru -
plugwires/Bosch sparkplugs
- Completely revised 34PICT carb
- Couple years old Bosch 44A Alternator
- New fuel pump
- New high power Bosch starter

Small engine displacement increase over stock (85.5mm to 87mm pistons) and small performance increase W100 cam.
To me, the only questionable items in this listing : Empi heads and ?? distributor?
The NEW Empi valve spring broke after 450km??? I see why people complain about Empi.
You mentioned a new distributor and it is SVDA, but can you ID the make and model#?

I've abbreviated the descriptions to keep this short and ID where the problems were...
kuusj wrote:
The first 150-200km's it ran just fine, but then it began 'misfiring' while on a drive. Drove back home, next day everything was fine. A few weeks later the supposed misfiring came back again and went worse as km's went by.
At around 400km's on the engine ... Cylinder 3 wire had come loose.

So we attribute this first problem to #3 spark plug wire.

kuusj wrote:
50km's went fine, and back was the hesistation ... replaced the sparkplug wires because cyl #4 wire was broken in half.... Sure enough: problem gone.

Second problem attributed to broken #4 spark plug wire.

kuusj wrote:
Until another 50km's. .. Intake valvespring on cyl #2 was broken ... the engine ran better than ever.

Third problem was the intake valve spring.

kuusj wrote:
Only to go on a drive a few days back and completely lose power after 6km's of driving. The engine could hardly keep itself going. Mechanic came to the rescue, we checked timing and that was all over the place while running idle (which was almost impossible in itself because when it finally started it wanted to die without extra throttle).
<...>
Driving was near impossible because it would not increase in RPM much if given more throttle and ran like absolute sh*t so we towed it home.

I'm not clear here... "Mechanic came to the rescue". Does this mean he fixed the problem with the timing jumping around at idle? What did he do? It was a new SVDA distributor (what make/model?) it should not have a problem with only a few dozen km on it. Check the condenser. A bad one could cause strange timing problems like you described.

All your previous problems were pinned down to specific failures. You could group them into a general category of "failed parts". You need to troubleshoot your most recent problem independently and not assume any previous fix is exempt from being considered.
First understand WHY your idle timing is jumping around. This alone would make it fail to idle.

Speedy Jim has a really good set of troubleshooting steps that you (and your mechanic) should follow to isolate where the problem is.
http://speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

Expert, I'm not, but I am curious.

What fuel pump did you buy? Brand and Model #. Are you getting 3PSI out of the pump? Your old engine had a Pierburg pump. Is that what you are using?

Also have you checked for clogs and debris in the fuel tank. Also check fuel filter.

Wow! New EMPI heads with a broken valve spring in 600km Evil or Very Mad I hate EMPI. Sorry kussj. What's the torque like currently holding on those heads. Just curious

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

Ashman may have mentioned the cure: the condenser.

I once had my timing mark going all over the place, and it turned out to be a rather new Bosch condenser which was faulty. When I mentioned this in another thread, others spoke of having problems with new Bosch condensers. I even wrote Bosch in Germany to complain.

These faulty condensers cause erratic impulses, which means this or that spark plug isn't getting spark. The engine will run like shit. Sometimes, you'll get an exhaust backfire, but not always.

Try another condenser and see if this helps.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I even wrote Bosch in Germany to complain.

Einfach verboten !!! Cooler - 20 days, for Tim !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

I'm also curious about which 'new' distributor you installed. Most of them now are all Chinese made and are poor quality. Sticky pivot plates, quickly blowing vacuum canisters, etc.. You can check this new distributor with a timing light. Fire it up and rev the engine. The timing light should show you if the timing is advancing on the pulley.
You could also install a hand vacuum gauge on the vacuum canister (if it has one). Pump it up and stop. Does the vacuum can hold the vacuum or leak down? If it holds, take the distributor cap off the distributor. Pump the vacuum gauge. Do you see the vacuum can rotate the breaker plate?

I recently installed a NOS condenser in one of my bugs. After finishing the tune up, the engine had a low grade miss under acceleration and load. The hotter the engine got the worse the hesitation got. It idled perfectly.

I changed the NOS condenser to a known good used one. It fixed the hesitation and the car ran fine again.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuusj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
kuusj wrote:
A few months back I replaced the worn out 1300cc F-engine in my Tunis Yellow Jeans Bug with a rebuilt 1641cc engine.

**cut**
<...>

I'm not clear here... "Mechanic came to the rescue". Does this mean he fixed the problem with the timing jumping around at idle? What did he do? It was a new SVDA distributor (what make/model?) it should not have a problem with only a few dozen km on it. Check the condenser. A bad one could cause strange timing problems like you described.

All your previous problems were pinned down to specific failures. You could group them into a general category of "failed parts". You need to troubleshoot your most recent problem independently and not assume any previous fix is exempt from being considered.
First understand WHY your idle timing is jumping around. This alone would make it fail to idle.

Speedy Jim has a really good set of troubleshooting steps that you (and your mechanic) should follow to isolate where the problem is.
http://speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm

Thanks for your comment. Well, I already thought I'd get a comment on those EMPI heads lol. I don't know the exact # and type my distributor is (it is currently midnight here so I'll check tomorrow). I do know that the one I got in my engine right now is a fully rebuilt one with 0 play. The one from my old engine was junk, so my engine builder (friend of mechanic) gave me one with a bit of play knowing he'd get another one that was like new. That 'like new' one has been taken apart and cleaned, has new points/rotor etc.

Buttt: I got a new condensor on that distributor with a bit of play. That same condensor has been put on my current distributor... That could very well be the problem then..

What I meant with "the mechanic came to the rescue" is that I had no one else to give me a tow and I was an hour of walking away from home. He brought a timing light and other tools with him to diagnose the problem on site, but after checking everything he could at that time he was out of ideas and gave me a tow.

Xevin wrote:

Expert, I'm not, but I am curious.

What fuel pump did you buy? Brand and Model #. Are you getting 3PSI out of the pump? Your old engine had a Pierburg pump. Is that what you are using?

Also have you checked for clogs and debris in the fuel tank. Also check fuel filter.

Wow! New EMPI heads with a broken valve spring in 600km Evil or Very Mad I hate EMPI. Sorry kussj. What's the torque like currently holding on those heads. Just curious

I bought the best one I could find in my country, which is a BCD one that costs 65 euro's or around 80$.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The old fuel pump was a Pierburg but was leaking fuel into the oil so that's in the bin too.
We checked flow on that thing and it's strong, carb gets plenty of fuel. Already took the gas-level-measuring thing (don't know the word) out and checked for debris in the tank: it's clean. Fuel filter was also changed just in case.

My mechanic also has a pretty popular parts store in my country and has sold quite a few of those EMPI heads with no problems. When we took a closer look on that spring a defect in the metal was visible. Just bad luck I suppose, just lucky it didn't smash the valve into the piston.

What do you mean by "What's the torque like currently holding on those heads"? I unfortunantly don't have the tools to build a engine (no torque wrench either, good ones are expensive) so I had that done. I'm 18 years old and every penny I could spare for the last 1,5/2 years went into that car (around 6000$ now, not including purchase of car itself). I hoped that I could enjoy my car a lot more, but that hasn't really been the case at all Crying or Very sad

wcfvw69 wrote:
I'm also curious about which 'new' distributor you installed. Most of them now are all Chinese made and are poor quality. Sticky pivot plates, quickly blowing vacuum canisters, etc.. You can check this new distributor with a timing light. Fire it up and rev the engine. The timing light should show you if the timing is advancing on the pulley.
You could also install a hand vacuum gauge on the vacuum canister (if it has one). Pump it up and stop. Does the vacuum can hold the vacuum or leak down? If it holds, take the distributor cap off the distributor. Pump the vacuum gauge. Do you see the vacuum can rotate the breaker plate?

I recently installed a NOS condenser in one of my bugs. After finishing the tune up, the engine had a low grade miss under acceleration and load. The hotter the engine got the worse the hesitation got. It idled perfectly.

I changed the NOS condenser to a known good used one. It fixed the hesitation and the car ran fine again.

I'm pretty sure my distributor is not Chinese made, it is not 'that' new. We took it apart completely and checked if everything moved freely. When we later installed that (after fixing the broken valvespring) we did a lot of tuning up and tests making sure that everything was perfect. The Ohm's of the coil, static timing, timing light (and seeing that it advanced properly), O2 sensor I think it's called, A/F ratio and just hearing that it ran beautifully smooth. I took it for a spin and it had very good power. Proceeded to driving another ~40km's that day and like 15km's the next day and it went fine. 2 day's later I finally trust it enough to go to school with my Beetle and that's the drive where I had to stop after 6km's and got a tow.

It runs so poorly I can't get it to rev past 2K without a fight, it just sounds awful and seems to be only firing 1 or 2 cilinders when giving throttle. Just letting it idle works for 15-20 seconds but doesn't run faster than 600-700 rpm and is wants to shut down.

Last edited by kuusj on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

Is this a fuel injected engine or carb? If carb, it sounds like you possibly have a spark plug wire crossed in the distributor cap.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuusj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Is this a fuel injected engine or carb? If carb, it sounds like you possibly have a spark plug wire crossed in the distributor cap.

34PICT carb. But if that was the case shouldn't it have ran like * from the moment of firing it up the first time after installing the new distributor?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

Id find another mechanic. sounds like your mechanic is simply replacing parts for no reason, why was the distributor replaced? did this mechanic build your motor too? why was the spring broken? were the motor parts properly put togther? what was the compression ratio set too? the builder should know this, unless the builder simp,y slapped the parts togther, look out.

the distribuator needs to match to the carburator at least.

old style pumps are rebuildable, new diaphram and they dont leak anymore, so save the old one. when a new pump is installed, the fuel,pressure MUST be checked and adjusted as need to 3 to 5 psi.

your mechanic found a defect in the broke spring metal? Im not buying that one, what did he say, the metal crystallized at the break? not,likely, what was this defect he found?

sound like you were sold a poorly made motor, and have a clueless part swapping mechanic who will help you empty your wallet. evidently not a full time mechanic if he runs a parts store.

what a mess Crying or Very sad

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

kuudj, would it be possible to post a few photos of your engine bay? With the list of symptoms you described being so varied, I doubt anyone could accurately diagnose whatever is going on (it sounds like about 4 different issues.) But I have often found it helpful when there are pictures to look at to determine a possible cause/ solution.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

The symptoms do sound most like a problematic condenser.
kuusj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Id find another mechanic. sounds like your mechanic is simply replacing parts for no reason, why was the distributor replaced? did this mechanic build your motor too? why was the spring broken? were the motor parts properly put togther? what was the compression ratio set too? the builder should know this, unless the builder simp,y slapped the parts togther, look out.

the distribuator needs to match to the carburator at least.

old style pumps are rebuildable, new diaphram and they dont leak anymore, so save the old one. when a new pump is installed, the fuel,pressure MUST be checked and adjusted as need to 3 to 5 psi.

your mechanic found a defect in the broke spring metal? Im not buying that one, what did he say, the metal crystallized at the break? not,likely, what was this defect he found?

sound like you were sold a poorly made motor, and have a clueless part swapping mechanic who will help you empty your wallet. evidently not a full time mechanic if he runs a parts store.

what a mess Crying or Very sad

The distributor was replaced because the spare one my engine builder had, had a bit of play. When he rebuilt another engine that got a 123 Tune a way better one came out of that engine so he gave that to me. The mechanic and I (I was there the whole day with that valvespring shitshow) took apart and cleaned that distributor. The only part that is the same on my old and new distributor is the condensor. So I'll tell him to replace that first.

The mechanic has a workshop and a parts shop. He does full restorations, and I trust in his ability. Besides, I don't know any shop near me that also specialises in air cooled VW's so I don't have much choice. I could learn things myself but it's just too expensive to experiment and possibly break stuff. If the problem is connected to the engine he doesn't charge me anything, I didn't have to pay for that valvespring replacement, new sparks/wires.

And that valvespring, as I was there that day and could take a look at that spring there was indeed some kind of defect visible. I don't know if those things are cast or pressed or whatever, but where it cracked the metal was noticably less dark.

I agree that this is a absolute mess, at times like these I secretly wish I'd just bought a 'normal' modern car.

I'll take a few pictures as it's daytime now.
kuusj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

Edit: *oops* Embarassed I thought I was editing my last post...

Here is an album with full resolution pictures: https://imgur.com/a/T8uYH
The car has been picked up by the mechanic an hour ago, I mentioned the condensor but he seemed convinced there was nothing wrong with that thing (It says "Olympic" on top of it btw) because the points were not burned severely. I'm no expert so all knowledge I have is either from reading forums/watching video's, I'm sorry if I get technical stuff mixed up. Tried to convince him but he insisted that the thing could not be faulty, but he said he does know that bad condensors can cause various problems Rolling Eyes As long as I don't have to pay for his working hours (50$ an hour) he can try everything he wants I guess...

I'll post some small versions of the pictures below with some comments:

It is currently filthy and greasy from working on it, but there are no oil leaks anywhere. I'm still using the ugly 1300F oil-bath air-cleaner. Other reused parts are the alternator-stand and the alternator itself (which is a 50A btw, I said 44A previously).

The best image I could take of the numbers on the distributor. I guess it's a 050 then? The VW and Audi stamps suggest it's not from China I suppose. It also looks like there is a Bosch logo between the 050 and Audi logo. Edit: lol, so after some searching it looks like a 050 is pretty 'rare', and not stock, but a genuine German Bosch part. Parts stores I looked up have a specific condensor for this distributor, and I'm pretty sure I don't have that one on my car...

This is the fuel pump. Like I said, we checked if the thing pumped good fuel and it does, the fuel 'chamber' of the carb was 3/4's filled which from what I've read is perfect.

Underside. I'm still using the 1300F stock exhaust because I'm not sure what aftermarket exhaust I want, yet. And again, it's dirty Razz
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

Easy to check, run the engine at night, see if you can tell if any sparks are jumping to engine metal. I can't tell by the coil in your photo, wire looks spliced with butt connector there. And #2 spark wire looks like it's touching hot intake manifold.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

Two questions:

1. From your photo it appears the positive "+" terminal on your ignition coil is on the right side (viewing from back of car) and the negative "-" terminal is on the left. I just want to make sure that the green condenser wire coming off your distributor is indeed connected to the LEFT (negative "-") terminal--kind of hard to see where it goes once it wraps around the distributor.

2. it looks like you are using an autostick intake manifold, it has that largish angled port coming off the neck of the manifold with a short hose attached. Can you please verify that that hose is blocked off with a bolt or some such object? If that hose is open or not sealed off completely it will cause a significant vacuum leak.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

1...I see that apparently the electric choke is not hooked up, no wire visible on its terminal. that is one problem, if it is missing. The choke terminal should be connected to the ignition terminal on the spark coil, terminal 15 on the coil. the other small terminal on the spark coil is number 1, it should have the wire that goes to the condensor (capacitor) attached to it. both the number 15 and 1 should be printed on the coil, often molded into the bottom cover, make sure the corrct wires are hooked up there, not mixed up. (may use a mirror to see the two numbers on bottom of the coil, molded into the plastic)

the igintion wire from the key switch goes to number 15, along with the electric choke wire and the antirun on valve (the antirun on valve is in on the left side of carb, with the red sheathed ended black wire on it make sure it is on 15 terminal on coil, the wire from the key switch should also be black, it too should be on the 15 terminal so there should be three wires connected the 15 terminal, the one from the key switch, one to the antirun on valve, and on to the choke, and all should be black.
on the # 1 terminal of coil there should be one green wire to the condensor, and one grey/Green wire that goes to the diagnostic plug, althlugh the motor will run just fine without the grey/Green wire.

2...There is apparently a wire from the spark coil, orange in color draped over the left side heater hose, pinched on the hose clamp, bad place for that wire, if the clamp cuts thru the wire. route it better, also no orange wire is supposed to be there, what is it for, do you have a tachometer installed? If you have a tachometer added, that might explain its presence.

Anyway, check out the wires, confirm what you have.

OR

Take another photo and post, make it a bit more close up of the coil, and remove the dizzie cap to get it out of the way so we can see the connections on the coil better.

Keep Buggin!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

kuusj wrote:
First of all, English is not my native language, excuse me if something is unclear Embarassed

kuusj wrote:
"1000km old engine running like sh*t"

Sounds like pretty good command of the language to me !!!

Yes, clear photos of the coil/connections and both sides of the carburetor please.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
kuusj wrote:

kuusj wrote:
"1000km old engine running like sh*t"

Yes, clear photos of the coil/connections and both sides of the carburetor please.

Distance is not a measure of age. "Old" refers to age, which is time based, rather than distance based. It would be more correct to state "1000 km of use on the motor". Also "running poorly" would be prefered over "running like sh*t", as "sh*t" is neither polite, nor professional.

Of course it would be correct to to state distance in miles also. Laughing

Good Luck, Bug On!

kuusj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Jeans Bug - 1000km old engine running like sh*t Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Two questions:

1. From your photo it appears the positive "+" terminal on your ignition coil is on the right side (viewing from back of car) and the negative "-" terminal is on the left. I just want to make sure that the green condenser wire coming off your distributor is indeed connected to the LEFT (negative "-") terminal--kind of hard to see where it goes once it wraps around the distributor.

2. it looks like you are using an autostick intake manifold, it has that largish angled port coming off the neck of the manifold with a short hose attached. Can you please verify that that hose is blocked off with a bolt or some such object? If that hose is open or not sealed off completely it will cause a significant vacuum leak.

1. The right side of the coil is indeed +, and condensor is connected to the other side. The orange cable is for my RPM gauge and is also connected to the - side.

2. I've been told this is a T2 bus manifold that has that neck for brake booster, it is plugged off completely.

bluebus86 wrote:

1...I see that apparently the electric choke is not hooked up

2...There is apparently a wire from the spark coil, orange in color draped over the left side heater hose

1. It is correctly hooked up, the choke works as intended. I've sat next to the cold engine warming up and seeing it slowly go to less and less choke.

2. That is for my tacho, it is a temporary routing of the cable Embarassed

I failed to mention I have already looked over all cables in the engine bay comparing them with wiring diagrams. The key switch has given some problems (not turning 'off' when turned to off position, luckily I have a mass-key. Took apart the lock and cut and redid all the connectors from the lock to the fusebox (4 cables, as shown in wiring diagrams).

The car is not at my home anymore as it sits in my mechanic's garage, he will start running down a list with a number of things to check what fixes the problem coming week. So I can't take new pictures unfortunantly Sad

cusser wrote:

Thank you Laughing

bluebus86 wrote:

Distance is not a measure of age. "Old" refers to age, which is time based, rather than distance based. It would be more correct to state "1000 km of use on the motor". Also "running poorly" would be prefered over "running like sh*t", as "sh*t" is neither polite, nor professional.

Of course it would be correct to to state distance in miles also. Laughing

Good Luck, Bug On!

True, and as for the sh*t part: I have thought a long time for better words to use, and I could not come up with better words. I believe in learning from mistakes, so thanks for stating them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: