Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter tires
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Winter tires Reply with quote

I'm looking to have some winter tires installed soon and was curious what everyone here does for snow/ice. I'm thinking about buying a set of tires and installing ice studs, has anyone else done that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter tires Reply with quote

drewbiedu637 wrote:
I'm looking to have some winter tires installed soon and was curious what everyone here does for snow/ice. I'm thinking about buying a set of tires and installing ice studs, has anyone else done that?

I think most would answer, not driving their cars in snow and ice with all the salt on the roads.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything

Last edited by CiderGuy on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter tires Reply with quote

I never put studded tires on my VWs before... But I do know that it a beetle with cables is like a dune buggy. Going up a mountain pass, everyone was passing me, but after I put cables on... I was passing all of them. Wink
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Winter tires Reply with quote

I had a set back in the 90s but I disposed of them since Wisconsin prohibits them (~10 states prohibit them outright and most have seasonal restrictions). They really tear up the roads.
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Winter tires Reply with quote

A lot of tires for our size are actually rated for Mud and Snow. Even my Corker White walls are M/S.

Studs? Sure! Why not. I'm guessing its not a trailer queen anyway. They drive fine in the snow with studs. I have an old set of studded that came with my car. not sure the brand
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Winter tires Reply with quote

Check on Tire Rack or a similar online retailer. There are several dedicated winter/snow tires available in 15-inch diameters. I didn't find any 165/80R15 or 165R15, but the are several available in 185/65R15.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Winter tires Reply with quote

There is a world, and I mean world of difference between a true winter tire and one with a mud and snow rating.

I've had studded tires on a few vehicles over the years and they are fantastic in the ice and hardpack snow. My Scirroco was like driving on paved roads with studded Haka's.

Even unstudded winter tires (which I use now on my 2WD Colorado) are a huge improvement over all seasons. In fact some provinces in Canada are now mandating winter tires from October till Maybecasue they are that much safer. When choosing a winter tire get as skinny as you can find that will be as close to the diameter you need. The skinny tire cuts through the snow and places more psi on the contact patch of the tire. Big lug, fat tires will do absolutely nothing in snow and even less on ice.

brad
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter tires Reply with quote

Same as most - dont drive the bugs in the winter, but you probably dont use salt in the roads there (at least hope you don't). I run dedicated winter tires on my Golf and its night an day over all season tires. If you can use studs, they are superior on ice. A set of radial "chains" is a great idea as well. Very limited on speed, but if you have some really nasty crap, they will get you where you need to go. Same deal, I keep a set in the Golf...Never needed them yet.

OH - Important - Wider is not better with winter tires.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: