Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Starter Issues Reply with quote

Finished an Okrasa build for my 59 bug. I am setting up the engine for its first startup and having issues with the starter. I tried using a remote switch ( just a wire running from the solenoid to the battery with switch in between) and was not successful. When I short across the solenoid and starter with a screwdriver the starter spins over, but when using the remote switch I just get a click sound on the starter. Don't understand what the issue might be. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Bruce

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

Sounds like your remote start switch or wire isn't passing enough power for the solenoid to operate.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
When I short across the solenoid and starter with a screwdriver the starter spins over,

Only the starter, and not the engine turning over with the starter??
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

Hi. Follow this video and see if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXENKujYtc&t=28s
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

When using the remote switch the engine either does not turn over or it may spin it for a half revolution. Even though the starter will spin the engine over I think it is still spinning too slow. All connections are good and I have clean grounds. I suspect either a defective starter or possibly a weak battery. The suggested video was great and very informative.
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

Skip the remote switch for now. Go back to the basics and check that you can start it without anything fancy. Check the battery with a voltmeter.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
MeeferMadness wrote:
When I short across the solenoid and starter with a screwdriver the starter spins over,

Only the starter, and not the engine turning over with the starter??

Any answer to the above??
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

Recently been slammed with family stuff. As soon as I find the problem and start the engine I will reply with the solution. Again thanks for all the suggestions!
Bruce
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

Just went through a starting issue on my wife's 64.
After cleaning all connections and replacing the starter, it still would give me cranking issues.
At sometime in this cars life, the battery cables were replaced with 6 gauge cables. It all ways cranked slow, but being 6 volt, I thought it was normal.
I replaced those cables with 2 gauge ones( seems overkill) and this thing spins over like any other car now.... can not believe the difference!!
One more thing, Make sure your battery is FULLY charged
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

I double checked all connections for good metal contact, then removed the battery and starter and took the to my local flaps. The battery checked out better than new so I purchased a rebuilt starter. After installing the starter everything works much better although it still seems to crank slow. It could be the brand new engine with a little higher compression ratio, and performance cam. All in all very much improved. Will now also add some fuel and see if I can fire this puppy up!
Bruce
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
The battery checked out better than new so I purchased a rebuilt starter. After installing the starter everything works much better although it still seems to crank slow.

Bruce - did you install a new starter bushing with the new starter ????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Issues Reply with quote

Yes I did, the rebuilt starter came with one.
Bruce
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: