Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch/Flywheel for 1.8T Engine Swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rehoward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:54 pm    Post subject: Clutch/Flywheel for 1.8T Engine Swap Reply with quote

I am in the process of doing a Vanagon engine swap using a Passat 1.8T engine. The Vanagon is a 1985 Waterboxer with a 1.9 engine.

I have been bartering for the necessary bellhousing, input shaft, oil pan, etc. I have been told that he (the seller) has a new flywheel for the 1.8T engine that will accept a stock Vanagon disc, pressure plate, and diesel starter. My first thought was, "Will the stock Vanagon clutch handle the power of the new 1.8T engine"? That seems sort of iffy to me but I could be wrong. Can I safely use his flywheel and a stock pressure plate and disc? What has been successful in past engine swaps using the 1.8T and manual transaxle?

Thanks for any and all suggestions,

Randy
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Flywheel for 1.8T Engine Swap Reply with quote

Kennedy Engineering info

KEP 228mm VW PRESSURE PLATES (9")
Fits '76 and newer VW Bus, Vanagon, Hewland DG, Fortin, and Mendeola transaxles using the KEP 9" flywheel. Torque capacities using a stock disc are shown below.

9" STOCK
200 ft. lb.
Stock 228mm VW Bus pressure plate. Suitable for engines under 3 liter for street use.

9" STAGE I
223 ft. lb.
This pressure plate works well in Porsche 911 powered 914's or V6 camper vans. Enjoy good holding power and easy pedal effort.

9" STAGE II
273 ft. lb.
This is the one used by winning unlimited class off-road racers. Also very popular for use in V8 powered 914's under 400 HP.

9" STAGE III
378 ft. lb.
This pressure plate is designed to handle 500 HP on an organic disc. Good for street or race applications with lots of power.

9" STAGE IV
420 ft. lb.
This pressure plate is designed to handle the larger V8 engines over 500HP.

Post achievement Twisted Evil
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Flywheel for 1.8T Engine Swap Reply with quote

Most use the Kennedy Stage I Clutch set up, it has a stock feel and handles the power fine as long as you are not riding the clutch rock crawling or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Flywheel for 1.8T Engine Swap Reply with quote

I'm running a single mass TDI flywheel, stock Vanagon clutch disk, and a VR6 pressure plate.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Flywheel for 1.8T Engine Swap Reply with quote

This is a pretty informative thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I have since upgraded to a Dual Mass Setup and would make you a deal on the low mileage Single Mass Setup I removed. Read through the thread I linked. If you want to use the TDI disk, Christopher at T3 used to sell the beefier input shaft. It’s the correct length and easy to install while you are swapping the bell housing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: