Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto trans has different carby?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

I have stripped both carby's from an auto trans equipped Type 3 and found them to have a small valve on the throttle butterfly plate-which is not on the manual trans carby's.From the gasket kit,it's called a "valve-hot idle" It has a port which is below the butterfly.It has a brass plunger which has a spring plate(which is adjustable for tension) holding it-but it is loose.Has anybody seen these carbs? I can't find any info from a Type3 or late Bay workshop manual.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marvel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

I've got these on mine although it's a manual. Maybe the engine or gearbox was changed at some time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

I found a pic of them in a Bus Manual-but no reference anywhere in the carby section as to what they are or adjustment procedure.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

Nope, never seen that before. But then all USA models with AT came with FI.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

I have a set of carbs that have altitude compensators. They have this small valve at the base also. They are later versions with the diaphragm style choke pull off instead of the piston type pull off. No idea it they are off an automatic engine as I bought them at the swap meet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
I have a set of carbs that have altitude compensators. They have this small valve at the base also. They are later versions with the diaphragm style choke pull off instead of the piston type pull off. No idea it they are off an automatic engine as I bought them at the swap meet.

So maybe the part has nothing to do with the car being an automatic, but rather that it was ordered with some "high latitude" option?
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

If it's on the throttle butterfly, I wouldn't think it has anything to do with altitude. The mention of "Valve - hot idle" implies that it's there to help an automatic car maintain its idle speed a little better.

VW used a device to do that on the automatic transmission 1971 and on Type 4 cars, which used a vacuum-operated piston like so:

But that's different than the mechanism nbturbo posted. As Bob says, we never saw automatic transmission carbureted Type 3's here in the States.
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

Here is the set of carbs with the altitude compensator jets. These were used in higher elevations. I was mistaken as the have the piston choke pull off not the later diaphragm type that is held on with 3 screws. I have maybe 40 sets of factory dual carbs & this is the only set I have with the altitude compensator jets. Check the pics

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

WOW- that's something I have never seen before.I am assuming that the big alloy thing that's taken the place of the threaded plug to remove main jet,releases more fuel into the bowl at less dense altitude pressure to increase the fuel level in the bowl.I will never know if this engine has both original carbs,but 1 has the diaphragm choke pull off and the other has the piston type.I see both those have a brass fitting above the idle mixture screw,which has a check ball in it.We had the 12v solenoid here in that same hole, which from memory was to shut fuel from the idle circuit to prevent any run on after the ignition was turned off.Thanks for all the info and pics.I have also discovered that rod coming from the back of the choke housing is to adjust the fast idle while on choke.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

No, it modified the jet itself-- the gas flowing FROM the bowl, not TO it. It's a lot of mass to hang on a fine thread in soft metal!

I'm still wondering what that damn hot idle gizmo does... what's underneath it? Does it bleed a little more vacuum advance by allowing more suction into that port? Or maybe it affects the mixture in some other way by bleeding air in? I assume that's a bimetallic spring on it?
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

The parts book says that option M249 (automatic transmission) have different carbs.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
Here is the set of carbs with the altitude compensator jets. These were used in higher elevations. I was mistaken as the have the piston choke pull off not the later diaphragm type that is held on with 3 screws. I have maybe 40 sets of factory dual carbs & this is the only set I have with the altitude compensator jets. Check the pics

So, going off the original post, those carbs were for an AT car, since they have that "hot idle" deal on them too. That's a really strange combo. I've never seen both together like that. I think Tom Reay had a set with the altitude compensator before, as I believe he posted up some pics of them. But like I mentioned above, I've never seen the "hot idle" deal before.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

Yep -Those are what my 68 T34 Automatic came with. I wanted to put in larger main jets, and the altitude compensators have they jets built into them, so I went to standard carbs. (Among other reasons). It's also kind of hard to find floats for those. They aren't the same as a regular type 3 carb - I think 71 bus floats work.

They are actually pretty cool carbs. If they work for you, I'd definitely keep them. I'd love to see how the Altitude Compensators work. I basically live at sea level, so I never had a chance to test them.

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

I'm still wondering what that damn hot idle gizmo does... what's underneath it? Does it bleed a little more vacuum advance by allowing more suction into that port? Or maybe it affects the mixture in some other way by bleeding air in? I assume that's a bimetallic spring on it?

I agree that little device is a head scratcher. That is one of the problems with carburation and an auto trans, getting it to run right in all situations. Going down the road is easy, but getting the right idle and initial throttle response off idle can be an exercise in frustration. I am purely guessing, but I am thinking along the lines of KT. I believe that it is a bimetallic spring that allows air to bleed into the carb. Since as air temp goes up, the oxygen molecules decrease, for the same jetting, hotter temps will cause a rich condition. So if the spring were designed to open at a specific (hot) temperature, it would lean out the idle, and keep the engine from loading up while sitting in drive. Especially in an engine that would see a lot of high altitude driving. I know that when I added AC to my Squareback, I had to add an idle compenstator (electric) to kick the idle up when the AC is on.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

Another thread on the subject...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
And an image referenced there:

And from here...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173175

...it is said:
"The factory provided an cold enrichment device to the central idling circuit when cold and it also attached a "hot-engine idle valve" to the throttle bodies on auto-trans buses that provides additional idle air to the dual carbs when extra hot. These are both simple bimetals that have a little brass plug that "un-plugs" when needed. They only need to be clean to work. The cold enrichment device has a resistance heater with a wire attached to the box. The hot idle compensator is purely mechanical."

It still doesn't specify exactly how it works, other than "additional idle air bleed". I'm not familiar with the innards of any but the old 28 and 30 PCI and PICT carbs, so the later carbs with multiple idle adjustments work differently... I presume this device bleeds air into the more-complex idle air circuit on those later carbs.

My '71 FI automatic sometimes idled a bit low when hot and in Drive. Of course, being FI, it lacked this gizmo, but did have some temperature compensation built-in. I just shifted into N when it got bad.

I think this device was an early attempt at dealing with low/hot/Drive idle. Newer solutions involved a solenoid on the idle screw when in Drive, but I am speculating the compact Solex design along with the tight manifold spaces made that hard to implement, so they took the expedient of bumping idle speed when really hot with this gizmo. If someone could figure out just what passage this bleeds into, that would confirm it.

Also, these are listed in the instructions above as Bus carbs... were they ever stock on Type 3s?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

KT,

With the second thread link, you just revived some nightmares for me. When I first put the T4 engine in my Square, I tried to use the stock carburation. I even used that thread for trying to tune them. I guess that carb setup is like the Type 3 FI. When everything is right it works great. However, I found them to be the most convoluted pain in the butt to work with. The changing idle and off idle response drove me nuts, and I have never been more glad to get rid of them. I would much rather fix a PO hacked FI, then ever touch those things again, and I am a carb man.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

That may be why I went away from them as well. I couldn't get any response of of the air /fuel mixture adjustment needle. I think the air was leaking in the hot air valve.

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

Yes- thinking that it would be easier to just thread the hole and screw a bolt in there.Reckon that the small brass plunger would never offer a total seal anyhow.Fitting the auto and engine into a 63 Bus.Have nearly finished converting the engine to upright,after a new set of barrels and overhauling the heads.Got a lot of work on converting the Bus to IRS.
Variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

nbturbo wrote:
I have stripped both carby's from an auto trans equipped Type 3 and found them to have a small valve on the throttle butterfly plate-which is not on the manual trans carby's.From the gasket kit,it's called a "valve-hot idle" It has a port which is below the butterfly.It has a brass plunger which has a spring plate(which is adjustable for tension) holding it-but it is loose.Has anybody seen these carbs? I can't find any info from a Type3 or late Bay workshop manual.

Those are the hot idle valves. On the type 3, they were only fitted to carburetors for automatic engines. When the transmission is engaged, idling speed drops from about 1000 rpm, where the carbs were adjusted, to 700rpm and less due to drag from the torque convertor. Without them the air/fuel ratio would be too rich when the engine is idling at such a low speed. This happens especially when a hot engine has been shut down for about 20 minutes and then restarted. The carbs will be heat soaked and the idling very erratic with the transmission engaged. Flat spots will occur when accelerating from idle and the low speed downshift from 3rd to 2nd will be very harsh when the throttle is closed. You can operate the carbs witout them on a manual engine without issues. You can also get away without them on an automatic engine by adjusting the carbs and ignition timing in a specific way - as I have been doing for years with no ill effect.
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans has different carby? Reply with quote

/\ /\ That total makes sense! Thanks for the explanation!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: