Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vw beetle 1969 randomly died on me (1900c)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony1210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: vw beetle 1969 randomly died on me (1900c) Reply with quote

I have a problem, i am a first-time college student who just daily drives a 1969 vw bug. I have a strong feeling that the problem is fuel isn't going up to the carburetor that well, but I'm not exactly sure how to solve it I love this car a lot. And it's been my daily driver ever since May 6th 2017. I really hope it's something minor. It died on me twice while leaving a friend's house PLEASE HELP Sad and today it didnt die on me while leaving college... but on the morning it wanted to turn off on me so im not sure whats going on EXACTLY
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: vw beetle 1969 randomly died on me (1900c) Reply with quote

I'll try.

Disconnect battery, remove air cleaner.

With a long med fine flat screwdriver running over the alternator/generator to the carb (battery disconnected) unscrew your idle (pilot) jet and hold the little holes up to the light. Soak it in carb cleaner in a bottle for a few minutes, blow it out, reinstall it just a hair over finger tight. Reconnect battery.

Did that work? Reinstall air cleaner.

Didn't work? Check valves and timing. Check idle cut-off valve clicks properly. What do the plugs look like?

Didn't work? Remove carb and take it to be cleaned. Remove gas tank for cleaning, blow through/change lines.

Just a few thoughts. Buy a 13m obstruction wrench for the back carb nut, among others.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: vw beetle 1969 randomly died on me (1900c) Reply with quote

What skills/tools/manuals do you have access to?

Can you check ignition timing?

Do you have a test light or VOM?

Do you have any local friends or VW clubs who can eyeball this for you?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: vw beetle 1969 randomly died on me (1900c) Reply with quote

You should check this website airschooled.com

Robbie lives in the San Diego area and is a good person to hire and teach you to work on your bug. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you don't have this book, buy it. The book can teach you to work on it and save your lots of money as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: vw beetle 1969 randomly died on me (1900c) Reply with quote

When it "died", did the warning lights for generator and oil pressure in the speedometer light? Just a quick & dirty check of the electrical part of the ignition system.

I'd get a can of aerosol starting fluid, and spray this into the air cleaner/carb next time it dies; if it then runs a few seconds, you have a fuel delivery problem.

Fuel pump output to the carburetor can be checked with a helper and a jar, if you're careful of flammability of the gasoline. Caution.

Spark can be checked using an under $10 inline spark tester, or to remove a spark plug wire, insert a screw, then hold the screw 1/8 inch away from engine bare metal as someone cranks the engine. If no spark, then suspect the points, or more often: an electronic no-points accessory that's dead.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony1210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: vw beetle 1969 randomly died on me (1900c) Reply with quote

Thanks guys the problem isnt there any more Smile i just changed the engine oil and it didnt have problems ever since (dirty check)
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: vw beetle 1969 randomly died on me (1900c) Reply with quote

Interesting. A self repairing VW. If they all did that, they'd still be in production I bet.

But I think the problem might just be resting, and will wake up and cause you grief at a most at a very inconvenient time. Mechanical Gremlins tend to behave that way.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: vw beetle 1969 randomly died on me (1900c) Reply with quote

Tony1210 wrote:
I have a problem, i am a first-time college student who just daily drives a 1969 vw bug. I have a strong feeling that the problem is fuel isn't going up to the carburetor that well, but I'm not exactly sure how to solve it I love this car a lot. And it's been my daily driver ever since May 6th 2017. I really hope it's something minor. It died on me twice while leaving a friend's house PLEASE HELP Sad and today it didnt die on me while leaving college... but on the morning it wanted to turn off on me so im not sure whats going on EXACTLY

Generally its either a fuel or spark issue. narrow it down and the problem is half as hard to solve. of course that assumes the motor is in good health. Have you kept up on regualr valve adjustements, say every 3 to 6 k miles?

often if the fuel,pump diaphram ruptures and leaks, gasoline will drain fron it into the crankcase, so pull the dip stick and smeel for gasoline, the oil should not smell gassey. if it has a strong gasoline odor, suspect the diaphram in the pump is leaking.

is the exterior of the carb leaky, dirty? if so that may suggest the carb needs to be rebuilt, and adjusted, not too difficult to do. if you remove the carb top (five screws) you can measure the fuel levl in the float bowl, and test fhe float. remove the float and comp,
letely submerge in hot water, it must be hot, and note if bubbles stream out, if bubbles stream out, float is shot.

inspect the four spark plugs, do they all appear the same or are some different in color than others on the tips? measure the spark gap, adjust gap or replace them, how about the breaker points, are they shinny and flat, or dull and pitted? the gap shpuld be.016 inch. set thedwell and timing. it cojld you simp,y need a basic tune up

how many miles since last tune up, and valve adjust?

tell us a bit more about the cars history and maintanence.

good luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: