Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW headlight switch on 63
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: WW headlight switch on 63 Reply with quote

Will do my best to keep simple,Beer with me here. Electrical stuff is my biggest learning curve and confusing.

Cleaning contacts on original round headlight switch on 63 bug 12V, a couple broke off. Did many searches, and ordered newer square 68-70 switch from WW, thinking an upgrade. It has the red jumper wire from terminal 30 to X terminal. When referred to Bug Me Wiring Vid. its a different 68-70 switch, with different terminals and no jumper used. The video mentioned adding 2 inline fuses because some lighting dilemma occurs. That really confuses me. No use of red jumper at all in vid.

Can someone clarify how to use the switch with jumper from WW in place of the switch in the video with different terminals. Andy you out there ?

I didn't check this or that cause i don't know what Im doing. Confuse more.

I do understand teminals and colored wire difference from one switch to
other. For electrical stuff I have a plug n play mentality.

thanks and good luck with those who try to explain
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: WW headlight switch on 63 Reply with quote

Using the later light switch with X terminal is still just a plug and play, each wire will still connect to the same terminal number as the original round switch -- BK/WT wire to the headlight relay goes to 56, GY/RD wire to the speedo light goes to 58b, and on down the line. The reason for the jumper from 30 to X is on the later switch power for the headlights routes through the ignition switch X terminal to the light switch so that the headlights can't be left on with the ignition switch off... without a jumper from 30 to X on your 63 with original style ignition switch your headlights wouldn't work.
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: WW headlight switch on 63 Reply with quote

mukluc, simple enough, can follow that. there is no 57 terminal on my new switch. The old round switch has a 57 with with 2 connectors. not sure what to do about that. this is just a wad of wires.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WW headlight switch on 63 Reply with quote

Terminal 57 is used for just the front two marker/parking lights, I believe it was for European markets. Basically what using 57 does is turn all four marker lights on when the switch is pulled to the parking light position, then when the switch is pulled to turn the headlights on it also switches the front two marker lights off. Since your new switch doesn't have terminal 57, you'll run those two wires to the output side of fuse 7 on the fuse block.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: WW headlight switch on 63 Reply with quote

It's an interesting oddity in wiring for different legistlations.

In Europe and Australia (probably other places too), it's common practice for all four park lights to remain on when the headlights are on. In the case of the bug, the front parkers are usually IN the headlight reflector (even after 68 when the USA went to sealed beams, the rest of the world stayed with bulb and reflector headlights with inbuilt park light holders. Incidentally, this made it REALLY simple to improve the headlights - a straight bulb swap for 55/60w halogens). This wiring method ensures that if you blow a headlight bulb, that light is still visible to oncoming cars so they know you aren't a motorbike etc. The parkers are also used as "city lights" in some places in Europe - you drive in the well lit cities with just the parkers on and no headlights - less glare I guess.

I've noticed that with some US sourced cars here in Aus, the front parkers do switch off when the headlights are on, but my bugs (Euro standard here in Aus) do keep the front parkers on with the headlights on.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WW headlight switch on 63 Reply with quote

Guess I got it backwards then, couldn't remember if the front markers switching off was a US thing or overseas.
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WW headlight switch on 63 Reply with quote

Yes, Its Confusing
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WW headlight switch on 63 Reply with quote

Any one use this WW 65-67 switch and can tell me how many terminals it has?
And what is meant by not having separate parking light circuit?? Would my park lights not work??

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211941531E
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: WW headlight switch on 63 Reply with quote

The "X" terminal, properly, is not only to avoid light on, the "15" terminal should make the same thing.

The "X" terminal instead is a terminal that is turned OFF during the cranking, so the starter receives the maximum energy from the battery because all accessories (except engine) are connect at the "X" and turned off while cranking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: