Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blinker Indicator (not functioning)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Class_gas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Blinker Indicator (not functioning) Reply with quote

My '66 Beetle was restored & converted to 12 volt by the PO.

All lights work perfectly but the blinker indicator will only flash when the emergency switch is engaged. So I know the bulb works & it's getting power. It will not function at all when the turn signals are engaged.

Could it be the relay is bad?

Would it have anything to do with the fact that the turn signal switch/arm is loose on the column? When pressed too hard up or down the whole mechanism rotates on the column a little.

When the switch/arm is engaged to either the left or right signal it only clicks once. When returning the switch/arm to the off position it does not click.

Advice & recommendations appreciated!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Blinker Indicator (not functioning) Reply with quote

First of all, you need to adjust and tighten the switch on the column. With the wrong gap and clocking, you can break it internally.
You want maybe 4mm gap between the steering wheel and the switch. Make sure you tighten it with the steering wheel level and also the switch arm level.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You tighten the switch to the column with that single screw that is probably on the left side of the switch.

Once this is done, please send photos of the relay(s) used on the other side of the dash. There are several ways to wire it, so before we condemn an expensive 9-pin box maybe it's something else.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Blinker Indicator (not functioning) Reply with quote

Just a note, the correct gap spec is 2.0 to 2.5mm for the turn signal switch to steering wheel.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Blinker Indicator (not functioning) Reply with quote

Well, the Workshop manual says 1 to 2 mm...

Now, if the turn switch isn't staying put on the column tube I hope it's not because the "contact plate" at the end of the switch's set-screw is missing. If it is, it will gouge the hell out of the tube! A few examples of switches having the contact plate intact:

Now, the 9-terminal relay has a dedicated contact for the dash warning light. I think it's odd that it works for E-flashers and not for turn signals, but a way to make the turn signals work again is to relocate that wire from kBl to a 49a (you'd need a "piggyback adapter to do this)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Class_gas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Blinker Indicator (not functioning) Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it's odd that it works for E-flashers and not for turn signals, but a way to make the turn signals work again is to relocate that wire from kBl to a 49a (you'd need a "piggyback adapter to do this)

I've run across this suggestion in my research. I'm just learning about wiring. Do you know the reasoning behind why this works?

Former love affairs- '65, '69, '74 Beetle, '74 Thing, '78 Westy.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Blinker Indicator (not functioning) Reply with quote

Yes, that is exactly how VW wired it when they changed from a 4 to 3 terminal flashers in 1963 and again in 1971-2.

(Terminal "S" , going out to the Switch, is the same as DIN terminal 49a used later on)

What happens Is the dash light ends up grounding through the fairly low resistance of the turn bulbs - so the dash bulb lights up opposite of the fender lights.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Class_gas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Blinker Indicator (not functioning) Reply with quote

Quote:
What happens Is the dash light ends up grounding through the fairly low resistance of the turn bulbs - so the dash bulb lights up opposite of the fender lights.

Thank for taking the time to explain it for me, glutamodo.

My steering wheel is after market and the gap between the wheel and the turn signal arm/lever is at least an inch. So I know I've got an issue there. The turn signal arm/lever does not return to the off position automatically after the completion of a turn. Do you think this could also be a symptom of gap between the two? I haven't had a change to check if the contact plate is missing yet. Could that have something to do with it too?

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Blinker Indicator (not functioning) Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Well, the Workshop manual says 1 to 2 mm...

Where do you think I got the 2.0 to 2.5mm spec from?

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Blinker Indicator (not functioning) Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the 61-65 book. However this is a 66 model and I was referencing a 66-68 Book. Not that it really matters that much as all the bits are about the same.

Class_gas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Blinker Indicator (not functioning) Reply with quote

So I'm learning that this is a common problem when an aftermarket steering wheel is installed. Anyone out there know of a fix or workaround?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: