Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
I need advice how to transport a Vanagon from Texas to New York
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: I need advice how to transport a Vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

Hi Folks i have just purchased my first vanagon. There is some sort of a long distance relationship involved. I am in NY and she is in...Texas. I am flying down there in few days to bring her home. I really can use some advise here. I am somehow calm and collected since i have tackled few similar things before but i need to plan this carefully. Here is the sellers description about the condition of the westy:
-non-accident, clean title, currently registered.
- last time its driven was over two years ago so it will definately need fuel change and oil change.
my situation

I have no experience with vanagons, i become familiar with the location and basic layout after watching plenty of youtube videos but thats all.
Would it be possible to drain the tank and put fresh gas, change the oil and drive home?

Or is it too much of a risk taking considering i will not be going through the vehicle completely, brakes, fuel lines etc.
I dont really have much time to sit around in texas and get her road ready. I need to get back in 3-4 days because of work.
I have no garage in TX to perform any type of work.
I will have to pay to get the job done.
I may have to sort out temporary registration
rules and regulations if i decide to drive her home.
OR
i will forget driving the van home and look into towing options. Maybe a small uhaul truck and a tow dolly or budget truck one way. I aim to keep the cost low as possible, while not compromising on common sense and basic safety.

What do you think? Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member


Joined: February 08, 2009
Posts: 1511
Location: The Old Pueblo
AZ Landshaper is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

Tow it or have it shipped by an auto transport company. You will be able to get some referrals from the samba. No experience and no time and not running today!! Have it towed after you inspect and purchase. Fly home and wait for it or you will likely be in a bad tow situation within 500 miles of the point of sale. Its the low stress option and likely the cheaper.

I had a Vanagon hauled from AZ to Mass for $575 a year or so ago. As a point of reference.
_________________
Wash Rinse Repeat. 2020

Licensed Realtor in Tucson Arizona.
-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Tow it or have it shipped by an auto transport company. You will be able to get some referrals from the samba. No experience and no time and not running today!! Have it towed after you inspect and purchase. Fly home and wait for it or you will likely be in a bad tow situation within 500 miles of the point of sale. Its the low stress option and likely the cheaper.

I had a Vanagon hauled from AZ to Mass for $575 a year or so ago. As a point of reference.

Thats really a good deal. i probably will spend over 300 just for the gas for the tow truck. Another 1k for rental fees and such. Do you remember the company u have used?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: May 02, 2016
Posts: 1062
Location: VA
elizer is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

That is a long distance to take a van that you don't really have personal experience with. Forget the uhaul option. Flight + rental (miles) and gas will put you over the top.

Go to USHIP. Various auto transport companies bid on the shipping.
We have a mini cooper coming from San Antonio to D.C. for about $500.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member


Joined: January 24, 2017
Posts: 855
Location: Martha's Vineyard, Ma
Multiman mv is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

I bought a van over two years ago and paid to have it inspected by a vehicle inspection company. After receiving a lengthy report on overall condition along with 60 photos of every possible angle of the van's interior, exterior, undercarriage and even from above, I decided to purchase the van. I would highly recommend a vehicle inspection service such as lemon squad. They might not be Vanagon gurus but they can give an unbiased opinion on the condition of a vehicle. Well worth the $200 fee. I used Auto Shipping Group to have the van transported on a car carrier from Vancouver Washington to Massachusetts. I would definitely recommend the car carrier route especially for a van that has sat for two years. You don't want to discover any short comings while on a maiden voyage. Ship the van to your home and use it around town for a length of time to shake out any possible problems. Much easier to deal with issues while around town instead of on some highway without cell service. Good luck with the van. I hope you found a good one and keep us all posted. Post photos whenever you can. Best of luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev Premium Member
Samba Moderator


Joined: September 30, 2007
Posts: 24904
Location: North West New Jersey
djkeev is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

Parked for two years isn't all that long of a time.

See if it starts, if it does, change the oil, check the tires and brakes and go home!

Dave
_________________
Stop Dead Photo Links how to post photos

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
That is a long distance to take a van that you don't really have personal experience with. Forget the uhaul option. Flight + rental (miles) and gas will put you over the top.

Go to USHIP. Various auto transport companies bid on the shipping.
We have a mini cooper coming from San Antonio to D.C. for about $500.

Thank you i will check it out. The price you mention sounds good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
I bought a van over two years ago and paid to have it inspected by a vehicle inspection company. After receiving a lengthy report on overall condition along with 60 photos of every possible angle of the van's interior, exterior, undercarriage and even from above, I decided to purchase the van. I would highly recommend a vehicle inspection service such as lemon squad. They might not be Vanagon gurus but they can give an unbiased opinion on the condition of a vehicle. Well worth the $200 fee. I used Auto Shipping Group to have the van transported on a car carrier from Vancouver Washington to Massachusetts. I would definitely recommend the car carrier route especially for a van that has sat for two years. You don't want to discover any short comings while on a maiden voyage. Ship the van to your home and use it around town for a length of time to shake out any possible problems. Much easier to deal with issues while around town instead of on some highway without cell service. Good luck with the van. I hope you found a good one and keep us all posted. Post photos whenever you can. Best of luck!

Thank you i didn't use any vehicle service. Looked at some pictures and spoke to the owner. He sounded like a stand up guy, told me about the rust etc. on the body. Since i don't mind the way it looks as long as it functions, also can't really come up with decent chunk of cash so i agreed to buy it. I ll be flying down to meet them in few days. Fingers crossed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member


Joined: July 30, 2013
Posts: 4931
Location: Floating around.
Steve M. is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

1st. Does it start and run so that it can driven by a stranger, the trailer driver/operator, to drive it up onto the trailer?
_________________
This free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member


Joined: July 30, 2013
Posts: 4931
Location: Floating around.
Steve M. is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

Well I'm bewteen jobs right now, you could hire me to drive it up to N.Y.
(Really I need to pick my 15mm Zeiss wide angle lens I left on Long Island!)
Serious idea.
_________________
This free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.


Last edited by Steve M. on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 05, 2014
Posts: 13015
Location: NYC/Upstate/ROW
Abscate is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

2 hours/$200 might be a good PPI for a modern car but for a Vanagon or earlier VW it's a 4 hour/$400 process to vet.

Plan on a $2000 budget post purchase to get steering, brakes, and engine to daily driver condition.
_________________
.ssS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Parked for two years isn't all that long of a time.

See if it starts, if it does, change the oil, check the tires and brakes and go home!

Dave

He said that he wanted to start recently, after the van sat over 2 years and detected smell of gas. Not wanted to ruin the injectors or fuel system, he decided to leave it.
He suggested that the gas probably is stale and needs to be drained ,as well as other fluids you would normally change periodically.
Once i inspect it by person i probably get a better idea. I see vanagons starts on youtube after sitting 20 years..with little work. Will see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member


Joined: August 13, 2013
Posts: 1263
Location: Austin, TX
kourt is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

Texas is big--tell us where the van is in Texas. That might get you better advice.

kourt
austin, tx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
1st. Does it start and run so that it can driven by a stranger, the trailer driver/operator, to drive it up onto the trailer?

It may but do you think it would be ok to try that. With stale gas sitting in the tank over 2 years? What if we cause a bigger problem. I am not an expert at all just wanted to bring it up that point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

westina wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
1st. Does it start and run so that it can driven by a stranger, the trailer driver/operator, to drive it up onto the trailer?

It may but do you think it would be ok to try that. With stale gas sitting in the tank over 2 years? What if we cause a bigger problem. I am not an expert at all just wanted to bring it up that point.


oo ok i see what you mean. if it can be started and driven on to the trailer, using vehicle hauling services are out of question?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Well I'm bewteen jobs right now, you could hire me to drive it up to N.Y.
(Really I need to pick my 15mm Zeiss wide angle lens I left on Long Island!)
Serious idea.

Do you have a pick up truck or something that can tow the vanagon? If so, i might be interested. we can just rent a dolly for few hundred dollars and you tow her up here for fee. we can even team up and drive north together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
2 hours/$200 might be a good PPI for a modern car but for a Vanagon or earlier VW it's a 4 hour/$400 process to vet.

Plan on a $2000 budget post purchase to get steering, brakes, and engine to daily driver condition.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Texas is big--tell us where the van is in Texas. That might get you better advice.

kourt
austin, tx

Houston area. Huffman, Tx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member


Joined: July 30, 2013
Posts: 4931
Location: Floating around.
Steve M. is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

westina wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
1st. Does it start and run so that it can driven by a stranger, the trailer driver/operator, to drive it up onto the trailer?

It may but do you think it would be ok to try that. With stale gas sitting in the tank over 2 years? What if we cause a bigger problem. I am not an expert at all just wanted to bring it up that point.


Of course you need to check that. The biggest problem is the condition of
-Fuel lines
-the gas tank empty or 1/2, 1/4 tank - then I'd be looking for water in the gas tank from condensation
- old gas turning to varnish in the injectors and clogging them. As well as fuel system in general. I mean how long was that gas put into the tank before it was last run? They may of put gas in 6 months before parking it!

If the gas smells the slight whiff of varnish which it has a good chance of smelling like that, but if the fuel pump works you could use that to pump it into a container as long as it is less then 5 gal., a full tank would be more of a problem. Pumping it you have more control over it as opposed to draining it.

Somebody said there was the smell of gas so right there that needs to be checked by somebody who knows the risk of what that means and not phoo-phoo it. If they smelled gas then it might not be varnish yet. It wiĺl certainly be stale gas!
Then again if it is only a few gallons of gas then you could put fresh gas in the tank that would mix and be able to start and run poorly, but you could get it running.
_________________
This free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Beacon/NY
westina is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: i need advise how to transport a vanagon from Texas to New York Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Texas is big--tell us where the van is in Texas. That might get you better advice.

kourt
austin, tx


Houston area. Huffman, Tx

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Can't wait to see what is waiting for me under that lid Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB