Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baulking under load
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
d123456789p
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Not used my 1302 for a few weeks, started her up as normal, reversed out of the garage, went to drive up the road and it baulked as if trying to pull away in 4th
Give it a few revs and a bit of clutch slip and same again with some popping and banging.

My first thoughts were the advance retard in the distributer not operating as it ticks over sweetly.
I eventually got to the end of the road with it spitting and popping so decided not a good idea to go out so had to limp back it idle speed.

Im not sure if this is the problem and if it is, how to check it or fix it.

Any help would be gratefully received
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Can we have pictures of distributor and carburetor . What year is the vw . Also has it been tuned up and valves adjusted recently . Have you done any diagnostics .
d123456789p
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

The car is a 1302S 1971, the car was running fine 3 weeks before this point.

I can get pics etc if it will help.
There has been no tuning that i am aware of and I would not know where/how to start diagnostics!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

did you have it in the right gear? might be deal motor mount or shift joint....could be wet ignition, dead plug,bad wire,funkey carb, funked up carb.vac leek.oil on clutch.
rayvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

I agree with Mark. Are you sure you are actually in first gear? May need to adjust shifter.
d123456789p
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Just tried to go out in it again to make sure I was not missing anything.

Definitely in 1st gear
Ticks over well so I don't think its a plug or lead
Carb ticks over sweetly
Oil on clutch would still rev mine just baulks down and pops/bangs/farts!!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Not sure I understand the issue very well, but it sounds like the engine cranks, starts, but when you go to move forward the car dies.

Cars left out to sit for long periods of time, with the ebrake on can rust the brake shoes to the drums. This makes the car impossible to move. If that is the case you would need to break that bond with a big hammer or complete disassembly and reassembly of the drum brakes.

Had to deal with that several times.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Don't laugh- but did a critter move into and build a winter nest in your exhaust?
I don't know where Teeside is- or that's a fictional place near the Tee.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5

Last edited by hitest on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
d123456789p
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

No, the issue is it starts perfectly, ticks over, I reverse it out of the garage then when I pull away but the engine bogs down as soon as you put decent load on it, similar as if I was to try and pull away in 4th gear (not that you would)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Parking brake?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

d123456789p wrote:
No, the issue is it starts perfectly, ticks over, I reverse it out of the garage then when I pull away but the engine bogs down as soon as you put decent load on it, similar as if I was to try and pull away in 4th gear (not that you would)

I assume that everything is recently new and was dialed in well.

I would start with a very good visual inspection. Broken hoses, loose intake manifold, loose carb, loose points, chaffed wiring, bad plug wires, corroded plug wires, bad coil high tension lead or socket, etc. A GOOD VISUAL INSPECTION. Look for a vacuum leak, a plugged fuel filter, a partially blocked carb inlet, or anything wonky or out of place.

Next, valve adjust.

Then compression check.

Does "ticks over" mean turns over, like the starter can turn the engine when in the crank position?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Cracked distributor cap?
Points closing up?
Bad condenser?
Bad coil?
Plug wires breaking down?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Quote:
My first thoughts were the advance retard in the distributer not operating as it ticks over sweetly.

Have you actually verified that the distributor is advancing properly with a timing light? The engine can sound fine revving it with no load and still have a timing problem that shows up under load.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

I bet "Ticks over" is an automotive term many of us are not familiar with. Wink

The solution to your problem is probably in the first reply to this thread. When was the last tune up?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

"Ticks over" is pretty much the same as saying fires and runs, so "ticks over well" would mean it runs smoothly without evidence of misfire.

From the description my thoughts would be either the distributor isn't advancing correctly, the condenser is suspect or grounding out as the advance kicks in, excessive spark plug gap, weak spark due to bad coil/rotor/cap/leads/etc, or there is a speck of crud partially blocking a carb jet or passage.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
"Ticks over" is pretty much the same as saying fires and runs, so "ticks over well" would mean it runs smoothly without evidence of misfire.

From the description my thoughts would be either the distributor isn't advancing correctly, the condenser is suspect or grounding out as the advance kicks in, excessive spark plug gap, weak spark due to bad coil/rotor/cap/leads/etc, or there is a speck of crud partially blocking a carb jet or passage.

And a full tune up would likely fix any of these problems.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Another vote to see if the distributor is advancing. Maybe the vacuum canister dried and and blew. It would certainly fall on it's face if that happened.

Pics of the engine and a listing of the carb model, make and distributor and number of it would help.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d123456789p
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Hi guys

Teesside is in the North East of England.
'Tick over' is the same as idle
The car was running fine then this problem.
My first thoughts were the advance retard, it revs while in neutral but when in gear and trying to pull away.
Is a timing light the only way to prove/fix it.
If it is this......how would i fix it?
I can check the plugs in the meantime but I'm sure they are fine. Service was done in April
d123456789p
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Baulking under load Reply with quote

That's an SVDA distributor. Single vacuum dual advance. What brand is it? The screws say it's an aftermarket, either a Mexican Bosch 034 or worse, Chinese copy of the 034. Yes, a timing light will show you if the distributor is advancing and how much it is.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: