Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers Reply with quote

Yes, I know this has been covered and I have read many posts but I wanted to verify a couple things since I have read some answers or opinions that seem to conflict.

Looking at CB Performance rear disc brake conversion with parking brake for a 1974 KG Coupe. Plan is to keep the front discs and add discs to the rear.

My questions:

1. What master cylinder? I will be getting a new one – stock size or go the larger 20.6 mm as I have seen recommended?

2. Do I need a Residual pressure valve? The CB Performance website says: "Vehicles with four wheel disc brakes using a 67-later master cylinder are recommended to install a 4 lb. Residual Pressure Valve." I have seen other answers on this site that seem to conflict...

3. Wheel bearings? Which to use? I haven’t heard this addressed yet and CB Performance should have a recommendation. Just thought I’d ask since I was here…

Thanks,
Matt
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers Reply with quote

yes, get the larger master, you will need it to move enough fluid for the larger pistons on all 4 wheels.

Yes put in a valve, it will help keep the pedal firm, you can run without and they will work fine, but the pedal will feel spongy all the time.

I prefer FAG or KOYO bearings, anything but white box cheap stuff.

brad

Last edited by slalombuggy on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers Reply with quote

Click on the link below and about halfway down is another very good option for 4 wheel disc brakes.

http://www.coolrydescustoms.com/coolstop-brakes.html

This MC will work with right hand drive or left hand drive cars since the ports exit upwards.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers Reply with quote

Slalombuggy - thanks. Any advice on where the best location for the valve?

Also, I try to buy FAG bearings when I can. My dad worked for FAG for years. They might have put me through college. Smile

Lo Cash John - 23.8mm MC, that's a pretty big increase over stock, isn't it. Would that lock up the brakes pretty easily? Too easily?

Matt
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:

Lo Cash John - 23.8mm MC, that's a pretty big increase over stock, isn't it. Would that lock up the brakes pretty easily? Too easily?

Matt

Everything else staying the same, going to a bigger MC will create a stiffer pedal feel, but will actually require more pedal effort to stop the car.
This is a common occurrence on the 914, when people swap the stock 17mm MC for a similar-era 911 19mm MC and keep the stock 914 calipers.

However, the coolrydes brake kits are 4 piston front and 4 piston rear (stock VW are 2 piston front), so you'll need a sizable increase in MC to accommodate that.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers Reply with quote

Don't waste your money. 70% of braking is done by the front and adding rear disc is not needed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Don't waste your money. 70% of braking is done by the front and adding rear disc is not needed.

Agreed, but I thought it was 80%

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Especially not needed on a car this light! That coolrydes stuff is insane overkill for a stock engine car. I think his stuff is more geared toward people with subaru conversions or high hp motors.

My only temptation for even considering rear discs would be reduced maintenance. Maybe some people don't mind, or possibly might even enjoy, adjusting drums...but if I never had to do it again I definitely wouldn't miss it.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
Slalombuggy - thanks. Any advice on where the best location for the valve?

Also, I try to buy FAG bearings when I can. My dad worked for FAG for years. They might have put me through college. Smile

Matt

Put the valve at the rear before the "T" and it makes for a nice clean install. Put it just off the master if you're worried about access. Either will work.

Once you've gone to 4 wheel disks you'll never go back to drums. At least that's my personal experience on the 3 cars I've built.

brad
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion - seen conflicting answers Reply with quote

Yeah but rear discs look cool as hell! My question is the lug pattern. 4-lug, 5-lug porche or wide 5?

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: