Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the start of my new engine build - Big Bore 36hp
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: the start of my new engine build - Big Bore 36hp Reply with quote

Seeing as the engine is the only thing I haven't rebuilt myself in '56 Oval, I've decided to put together a new one. The plan is for a 1397cc 36hp, with dual Dellorto DLRAs. 80mm big bore kit, 69.5mm crank and WW Okrasa heads.
Currently collecting all the required parts, so thought it would be a good time to get some input and or advice.
I have already got the following:
Dec '55 case (from Mr Okrasa)
AA 80mm big bore kit.
WW Okrasa heads (still need to be machined for 80mm P/C)

Any suggestions on cam? I know WW has one, and Air Cooled Research carries a couple. I'm looking for the car to be a nice reliable driver with a little extra punch.

Cheers,

Jared

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Daniel hunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: the start of my new engine build - Big Bore 36hp Reply with quote

Hello reed .

Im building a very similar engine . Got the okrasa kit . 69.5 stroker counterweight crank . Preformance cam for wolfsberg west . 80mm piston kit for aa pistons . Fram oil fliter . 21mm oil pump. Ot crank pulley. Fan house oil cooler. Deep sump . H or i beam rods from aa pistons . Tho do to money and family issues my build is still in all the boxes . K & n air filters

I am however struggling with conpression ratio i want to know all the details even before ive had the machine work done.

So few questions have you managed to get your heads machined on? And if yes what compression chamber size do you have now . Is it still 43cc.

And also how you get your case looking like that. Mine is just the plan colour of metal haha.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: the start of my new engine build - Big Bore 36hp Reply with quote

Call Dema Elgin (http://www.elgincams.com/) (707) 545-6115

BTW, I really like the look of a Joe Ruiz coated case. Do you know how long this coating with last? Here's what my NOS case looks like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: the start of my new engine build - Big Bore 36hp Reply with quote

Daniel,
The coating was done by Joe Ruiz aka Mr Okrasa. He also did the machining on the case to fit the big bore kit, and align bored the main bearings. As for my heads, I haven't had them machined yet, so don't have any measurements of the chamber. I'm planning on a compression ratio of 9.5:1

Paul,
Yeah Joe's cases look awesome, but not sure on longevity of the coating, although if I'm correct it's not a coating at all but a chemical processing that changes the surface of the Magnesium. So it should last.
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: the start of my new engine build - Big Bore 36hp Reply with quote

Paul, I think your original NOS case looks awesome and definitely more "original"!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: