Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Thing generator replacement
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hogwildrestorations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: VW Thing generator replacement Reply with quote

Do you have to pull the motor to get a generator out of a thing??? any good references anybody, about how to do it? Thanks for any advise
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Thing generator replacement Reply with quote

It can be a tight squeeze, but I think it can be done.

Take of the carb and the distributor for extra work room. Take the screws out ot the side of the fan shroud, loosen the strap around the generator and push it forward.

The whole thing should lift up about an inch and you can try to tilt and wiggle it out.

If it won't fit, you can take out the four bolts that hold the fan in the shroud, push the shroud forward as far as possible after lifting out of the cylinder tin and pull the fan and generator toward the rear of the car.

Still won't come out...remove the generator stand and the intake manifold...should be easy then.

Best to have a helper...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Thing generator replacement Reply with quote

You can pull a generator by reach around to the front of the fan shroud and removing the nut that holds the fan to the generator the generator can then be pulled away from the fan shroud. Maybe this would work with an alternator as well? If you do this don't drop any parts and make sure you get the washer back on correctly when you put things back together.
hogwildrestorations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Thing generator replacement Reply with quote

Thanks for the help goning to tackle it in the morning appreciate the help!!
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Thing generator replacement Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You can pull a generator by reach around to the front of the fan shroud and removing the nut that holds the fan to the generator the generator can then be pulled away from the fan shroud. Maybe this would work with an alternator as well? If you do this don't drop any parts and make sure you get the washer back on correctly when you put things back together.

Yes you can do this too, but I find it hard to get the 36mm socket on with a breaker bar to get enough leverage on the bolt in that much space.

Wait...drill a hole through the firewall so you can put an extension on and just work from inside the car....just kidding...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: VW Thing generator replacement Reply with quote

Here is a video on how to do it with engine in. I have done this on my beetles, but I’m not sure if this works on a Thing, since it’s more difficult to reach behind the fan shroud.
https://youtu.be/4ewXkdPgsa4
Good luck and please keep us updated.
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW Thing generator replacement Reply with quote

hogwildrestorations wrote:
Do you have to pull the motor to get a generator out of a thing??? any good references anybody, about how to do it? Thanks for any advise

I've done it. Kind of made it up as I went along. Generator to generator replacement. Not sure what it would be like if an alternator was involved. I do remember removing the carburetor for more clearance. Got the 36MM fan nut off by using a breaker bar on the back and turning the generator shaft. I was afraid the shaft would break, but it didn't.

There will be some shims and a wavy washer behind the fan nut. Make a note of their configuration. There's a fan to shroud clearance that needs to be set using those washers. I used a camera afterward to check the clearance.

Good luck

This old (and searchable) thread will might help
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: