Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing spindles on a Type 1
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Area 351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Thing spindles on a Type 1 Reply with quote

Thing spindles on a Type 1?

I know this is a common swap and I was able to score a set of Thing spindles today locally for $150.

I've heard that you run Type 1 ball joints on top, Thing ball joints on the bottom and swap lower trailing arms side to side.

I've also heard that you should swap the torsion bar 180° so that the grub screws are correctly oriented.

I've also read online that you have to grind the lower trailing arms slightly for the Thing ball joints, and some people say not to run the Type 1 trailing arms because no matter what, it messes up the geometry of the lower ball joint.

I've looked everywhere and can't find any info on modifying the trailing arm for the Thing ball joints.

Can anyone shed some first hand experience with me here?
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Thing spindles on a Type 1 Reply with quote

The lip on the thing balljoint is bigger than type 1. I just ground down the lip so it fit inside the bug trailing arms. No mods to my type 1 arms, other than lowers swapped side to side, don't need to mess with the torsions.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thing spindles on a Type 1 Reply with quote

Though I've not done Thing spindles, I'll second the torsions staying put. The grub screw holes are in line on the side of the spring pack.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: