Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problems with new Empi HPMX carb??
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fat Head Volxrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Problems with new Empi HPMX carb?? Reply with quote

Hello members of The Samba

I'm kinda new to the VW seen, and I just put the 1600 back in my Volxrod with a new 009 distributor and an Empi HPMX singe carb set up. When I start the car it only idles on #1 and #2. If I rev up the engine 3 and 4 will kick in but die off as the engine returns to idle. I read somewhere on this site that Empi was known for pour quality control so I striped down the carb, soaked everything in solvent blew it out and put it back together. But still the problem remains. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with new Empi HPMX carb?? Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba,

Can you post some pictures of your engine compartment? Your symptoms sound like a classic vacuum leak. Is this engine dual port?

You're also correct in that most EMPI parts are poorly made Chinese parts. In fact most people refer to EMPI as

Every
Mistake
Passes
Inspection
Wink

What distributor make and model are you running as well?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: