Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator refresh '85 Quantum
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edselsouth1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Alternator refresh '85 Quantum Reply with quote

I'm going to replace the regulator in the alternator on my '85 Quantum, 1.8 (again). I know how to do it (straightforward), but need to know how one would refurbish the surfaces that the regulator brushes ride on. Don't want to dis-assemble the alternator if at all possible. Possibly use brass bristle brush inserted into the area where the regulator mounts? Charging is intermittent, possibly from an unclean surface on the armature where the brushes ride. Suggestions? Thanks.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator refresh '85 Quantum Reply with quote

There is nothing you can do without a complete disassembly. The contact rings are probably grooved a bit, but like brake rotors, the pads will eventually seat themselves in.

I'm one of the few shops in the area that replace voltage regulators instead of selling alternators. I could make more money, but I have enough of that. I have never had a client come back with a charging issue. I sometimes replace the brushes only when I cannot get a regulator [usually Valeo built units].
edselsouth1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator refresh '85 Quantum Reply with quote

Butcher...... Thanks for your reply.
Glad to hear of your standards of work for your clients. Very few shops today with that kind of integrity. When I had my shop (now retired after 30 yrs.) , we did what was necessary and proper for our customers.
I replaced the regulator probably a year ago, and the charging rate appeared to be close to 14v. Last week I checked it (low battery after a few days of non-op), and the rate was only 13.45v. New battery, etc. checked out ok.
Looks like I'll be going into the alternator. I'm not up too well on the electrical on these cars. Any special tools, etc. needed? I'll try freshening up the rings before I go for any new parts. It's only time.

David.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator refresh '85 Quantum Reply with quote

Most shops no longer attempt to fix parts because customer get upset and demand a free fix if it does not work. So by replacing everything, the odds of a free fix are diminished. It's my experience that clients have forced this on themselves. Yes, many shops are just modern day pirate ships.

I educate the client and tell them that I could make a lot more money by replacing the complete part vs repairing it. I also say that if it does not work, they must pay for the complete part, but I will take care of the labor. Once they understand that I'm going to make less money they appreciate that I'm not trying to rip them off. They also understand that I will be working for free if the repair does not work so it's in my best interest to be right.

There are a few clients that I will not offer that service because they have selective hearing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: