Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing liftgate lock cylinder
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
iplayultimate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Replacing liftgate lock cylinder Reply with quote

At some point a previous owner replaced the liftgate cylinder but did not pass along the key.

I've done some research on matching a lock cylinder to your existing key (By reordering the tumblers or filing them down)

Any one have experience doing this?
Will I be able to even get the cylinder out without the key?
Does anyone know if this part comes with its own key or tumblers?

part:
https://www.vwpartworld.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-l...wtdjYtZ2Fz
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing liftgate lock cylinder Reply with quote

I re-coded my door locks to a recently replaced ignition cylinder by switching around a few tumblers and leaving one out. Rip it apart and see what you can do. Even if you are a few tumblers short it's not like someone's going to try to pick your lock and it will work ok.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
marshy11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing liftgate lock cylinder Reply with quote

After finding out that my new ignition cylinder could not be re-coded, I took off my door handles and just took them to a locksmith and paid them to deal with the tediousness of getting them to match the ignition key. I was confident I could do it myself but didn't have the 1/16" punch or the time to sit down and figure out the tumblers.
There's a guy on ebay selling the little tumbler wafers, but read closely, the listing is for 4 of each size. You may or may not need more to do all 4 doors. Also, reinstalling the rear hatch interior trim is a PITA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Volks-411-412-Eurovan-V...2749.l2649
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: