Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Joe your high speed stability is more to do with the front end caster angle because of the nose down stance , lower the rear and get the car level . fit caster wedges to increase the caster even more and it will be a different car to drive .
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
Joe your high speed stability is more to do with the front end caster angle because of the nose down stance , lower the rear and get the car level . fit caster wedges to increase the caster even more and it will be a different car to drive .

Yes! I think the factory RAISED the front end in 65-66 or thereabouts to INCREASE high-speed stability...

IIRC the rear , with its massive round shape creates most of the lift, so the rear raises, and raising the front brought it all into alignment.

It's soo fun to ditch fully dropped "racing"street cars by blowing over speed bumps in a stock suspended VW....you glide over, and pow! ...they're in the rearview, having to deal with a panic stop and some apron and exhaust scratching...

A really good little lesson in aerodynamics can be had by carefully studying the difference in shapes with the 69/70 type 3s. It's just a lesson, not a course, but there's something to be learned. Also, the 1300/1303 changes. Unfortunately, ugly seems to work better Laughing .
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Freebug and Wreck, yes I have to get the caster corrected with the shims.

As for the dropped front end, Yep !! I am the guy in back. To me is looks so damn good, I have to be aware of the dangers and responsible for any damage

Yes i hit the brakes come to a dead stop and go sideways .
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

I thought i would be able to fit it between the frame horns and the deck lid hinge pedastols, but I can’t. So the hinge pedastols will have to go. I broke my rear window while removing it:(

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

As you can see it “fits”. I can get it in far enough forward to line up the axle outputs with the VW CV’s. I think I can even keep the Acura AC compressor in its stock location if I notch the frame horn a little. I think I’ll be able to close the deck lid too. But maybe I’ll have to tilt it out at the top or put a bulge in it to clear the throttle body. I think gearshift linkage won’t be too bad but the clutch is going to be worse than I thought.

I think my next task will be to install my 944t trailing arms and rear brakes. It will be more fun staring at 18” Turbo twists than those rusty VW wheels as I move along. I wanted to make sure I was going to clear the stock suspension before I did that swap
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

You really need to get an AC TIG for welding aluminum castings. You have very little control with a MIG, once you hit the trigger you are laying bead, you have no choice. Unless you preheat the casting the penetration sucks until the base metal comes up to melt temp. That can take some time with ally because it tranfers heat away from the arc at such a high rate. And as a result you have porosity. With TIG you just start the arc and hold it until you have a nice melt pool then you start adding filler. Unless you're doing a lot of sheet metal work a TIG is the way to go. It will do a much nicer job on anything once you get the hang of it.
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

I’m sure you’re right about that.

On another note, I’m concerned about cv axle angles now. This drivetrain is much wider than a VW trans and my axle outputs are now higher than stock I think. What is the distance the output cv flange sits above the frame horn on a stick irs car?
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

914turboford wrote:

On another note, I’m concerned about cv axle angles now. This drivetrain is much wider than a VW trans and my axle outputs are now higher than stock I think. What is the distance the output cv flange sits above the frame horn on a stick irs car?
Four inches lower than where you are in the pictures. You need to cut the frame horns away to lower the engine.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

914turboford wrote:

To be clear, the drive output should match the same height as the axle input shafts with the weight of the powertrain on the suspension, this is the shortest distance between the axles...then you will have equal travel up and down. ..you should install the powertrain as low as possible.
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
914turboford wrote:

To be clear, the drive output should match the same height as the axle input shafts with the weight of the powertrain on the suspension, this is the shortest distance between the axles...then you will have equal travel up and down. ..you should install the powertrain as low as possible.

You are absolutely right. I reached that same conclusion. The reason the VW trans sits lower is that it fits between the horns. My drivetrain has approximately the same distance between the cv output and the lowest point of the sump, but it’s too wide to fit between the horns so I will need to cut them and make a new wider subframe. I think I will still get to use my 944 TAs though. I will tie into the torsion bar tubes and then support with a tube perpendicular to what’s left of the horns and I will also tie into the bumper shock mounts. That’s the working theory for now.

Good news is that I’ll get a lower CG and I’ll get my decklid hinges back
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

My buddy is putting a supercharged gm 3800 in, but is also doing custom trailing arms in a baja. He cut pretty much out.

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Bumper support on a VW is not structural for supporting that kind of weight. ..you're gonna need to build a upper subframe off the torsion housing. ..everything on the vw is tied into the center frame not to mention that the VW trans weighs only 75 lbs with a 235lb motor. ..what you got there is like 600-750lbs, that is a big difference. ..if it were me in your shoes. ..I'd try to utilize the entire subframe and suspension from the donor power plant and tie that into the VW's frame...you might find it to be a little easier going that route. ..but if you insist on continuing the existing route. ..we're here for you too... Popcorn
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Thanks that’s a good attitude considering the ungodly things I’m doing to this relatively rust free California 1303. I don’t see how using my the Acura subframe would help with the essential problem of cantilevering that load off of the pan at the torsion bar tube. I agree the bumper mounts can’t take a tremendous load but I think they will help. I also plan to run some rectangular tubing down the side of the body along The shock mounts back toward the bumper mounts. Ferdinand’s design to support the whole drivetrain on those two little horns was, as you say, based on the fact that the drivetrain was very light. But I think a little support (the bumper mounts) out at the end of that otherwise cantilevered load will make a big difference. I think what will actually provide that support is the roof and the body shell.
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

I cut off the frame horns and removed the bar from the front of engine. I have the engine positioned about 2” above the car’s axle CL. I think that’s about where it will sit once the car is supporting the engine, but of course I can and will adjust the ride height

914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

What is the purpose of these rounded elongated holes in the horns? It will be convenient if I can cover them up. Do I need them to access the parking brake cables or something?
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Also, does anyone know how much the rear of a super rises after you remove the 1600DP and trans?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Fuel lines

how much does it raise? I assume it is on the stops.
The down stops are not really very consistent. So, can't really say.
Assume ride height= the spring plates about level.
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

I already found the fuel line. It came out of a spot further back. I'm talking bout the elongated holes. They were covered by tape on this car.
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: