Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

I am wondering if anyone has explored using a 1st or 2nd gen Acura Legend drivetrain in an air cooled VW. I am specifically thinking about this for a Super Beetle 1303. I think this trans is basically a 2 piece design, with the differential sitting next to the oil pan. The diff is sitting closer to the front of the car. I am sure you would have to do some cutting into the luggage tray area and make an access panel to service the front of the engine. Obviously you would have to make a whole new rear sub frame to support everything. I am wondering if it would fit under stock body work. It's a crazy idea, and I'm just wondering if it has been tossed around here before.

I have done several swaps in my life. My DD is an Isuzu pickup powered by an LS1, and that is pretty mild compared to others I've done, and yes, I know anything will work if you throw enough time and money at it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 914turboford on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

This looks remarkably like a BOPC bellhousing pattern.

I wish there was some readily adaptable late model transaxle for Buggy VW use that could handle some power. Unfortunately these are getting pretty old and aren’t going to be widely available much longer.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

You'd be mounting it "mid-engined"; I don't think the height of the engine is the issue, but I'd try to get a measurement from the output of the transmission to the back of the transmission...from the looks of it, I suspect you'd have to cut away the apron in order to fit the back of the transmission within the engine bay.

I don't think electrickery works that way
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Would the engine clear the output casting? Looks like it could be a close call.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Would the engine clear the output casting? Looks like it could be a close call.

If i'm showing the right parts, yes. I believe all of those parts are Acura. So they are designed to go together. The first picture shows a complete engine/trans/dif assembly.

And yes, I think the trans might hit the apron, unfortunately.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

just put it in like vw did, with the engine in the rear. then just flip the diff assy. just like vw Wink that would be sweet. a v6 even sweeter. Shocked Razz or is that a v6?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Here's a Bay build with a Acura engine.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516038&highlight=acura
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

it'd be cool, but an LS would be even cooler😈
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
it'd be cool, but an LS would be even cooler😈

Quote:
just put it in like vw did, with the engine in the rear. then just flip the diff assy. just like vw Wink that would be sweet. a v6 even sweeter. Shocked Razz or is that a v6?

I originally became interested in this because I thought flipping the dif would be possible. I don't think it would still fit next to the oil pan though. The driver's side half shaft does pass through the oil pan. But flipping the dif means flipping the whole thing around, which would make it protrude too far into the luggage area.

I went to the JY and looked at a 5 cylinder longitudinal setup from an Acura yesterday, because I couldn't find a V6, which is what is in the picture above.

I will try to find a V6 Legend at a differernt yard this weekend, but at this part it doesn't look super promising.
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Cleaned up the wiring harness. It might not look too clean, but it's a lot better than what I started with.
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Flipped the intake manifold around so that the throttle body will point backward and be accessible under the engine lid.

914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

More "progress", or at least more cutting stuff up. I have always had trouble making welds that are fluid tight. I only started welding aluminum (MIG spool gun) two years ago but even when I try to make something leak free with steel (MIG with Argon/CO2 mix) I always get leaks. On one of those housings I welded, checked, found leaks and repeated about 5 times. I am starting to doubt whether this was a good idea. With the amount of time I've spent on this so far, I could have crawled into the back seat to access the throttle body 20 times by now. Also, I fear that I'm introducing leaks that I'll have to chase down once the engine is in the car, and I'll end up crawling back there a lot for that too. I'm considering running this engine with a radiator on a stand before I put it in the car so I can find leaks before installation. Sounds fun, don't you think!

914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Here is the welder I'm using
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

I made a cart to roll the drivetrain in. It is height adjustable at three points. My next planned step is to remove the rear apron, roll the cart under the car and see where I need to cut.

Last edited by 914turboford on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

wow...this is going to be awesome. Do you know what type of power that engine will make?
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
wow...this is going to be awesome. Do you know what type of power that engine will make?

Thanks! If I finish it! (I actually do have a pretty good track record for "finishing" builds, i.e., getting them running and registered, but you never know.

It is rated at 230hp stock at the crank. I am planning to add a low boost turbo (5-6psi) and hope to be right around 300 at the crank.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

I have been doing conversions over the years and one thing leads to another. The engine and tranny will be a lot of body cutting, plus hoses etc that all is a given.

But bugs are just not high speed cars. My bug has front and rear anti sway bars, dropped front end, etc. and with my 125 hp with my 914 bug, above 80 becomes dangerous with the light front end.

That is what I mean one thing leads to another - steering at high speeds. With that engine we are talking High Speeds. Also getting to the high speeds is going to be real fast.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
I have been doing conversions over the years and one thing leads to another. The engine and tranny will be a lot of body cutting, plus hoses etc that all is a given.

But bugs are just not high speed cars. My bug has front and rear anti sway bars, dropped front end, etc. and with my 125 hp with my 914 bug, above 80 becomes dangerous with the light front end.

That is what I mean one thing leads to another - steering at high speeds. With that engine we are talking High Speeds. Also getting to the high speeds is going to be real fast.

Those are definitely concerns. I am concerned that with this drivetrain my CG will be moved back even further than a stock bug, exacerbating the problem. I am planning to move the battery to the front. And I will have a radiator and fans up front.

Do you have a front air dam? I think if I can keep air out from under the car that will help. I hope I don't need to resort to adding ballast to the front.

I honestly don't drive too fast. In my LS1 swapped mini truck I hardly ever see more than 80mph. But I do want this Beetle to handle well. I have 944t brakes up front and 944t trailing arms for the rear. I am using 911 18 inch wheels and big tires.

What are some other things I can do to add stability?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

You can have a extremely rear-heavy weight bias and still be totally stable.
It is not hard to do. Make the suspension work in such a way it's ok, tune the tires and sway bars and springs, no problem.

What is hard to do is get every last % of the potential grip out of the tires in every direction and have a good handling balance, on all variety of surfaces, and in pursuit of that then you need to have equal weight bias.

Larger wheels will, all else the same, make it less stable, but they look cool??
The larger and/or heavier the wheel, the more will accentuate whatever the flex is in the suspension.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Longitudinal Acura Legend Drivetrain in a rear engine VW? Reply with quote

Funny we are all guilty of " one thing leads to another " but we don't care!!
It is our art, we want to be different.

I dropped my bug 2 1/2" with dropped front spindles then went 1" more lower in front with a low profile tire. I got the look I wanted but my steering got dangerous over 50mph. Doing new Tie rods, ball joints and recommendations from this forum and from John of Aircooled.net need to use two sets of shims and have have an alignment. What I did throw it off.

I like Highways speed but also like the wow effect when people see the car. With cell phones everywhere. People can't stop taking photos.

Bugs get more attention then some high price Italian Sports cars. Kids to Grandpa's love them.

You will make it work I am sure, or you will not be happy!!

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: