Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Y'all have been asking
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Have been getting PM's and e-mails from fellow Samba bay owners asking how we are here. I am in the Sacto area and other than smoke and supporting folks working with OES we are fine.

I've added some photos from AP / Google showing a portion of the damage in the Santa Rosa area since it is near the Redwoods and wineries, and many of you have passed thru that area. As these fires progress some of our bay brothers and sisters will be affected by these fires. If you are, please share your needs, and stories here. This is awful. As of last night the count on homes and businesses destroyed in California these last few days was about 3500. Something like 560 people are unaccounted for. The count has to be larger today because the winds have kicked up again.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Stay safe dude.
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

omg...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Damn...thanks for posting! Be careful!......
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Steve, have the responding agencies been able to arrange the air drops with retardant? Seems like an unusually high amount of devastation.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Steve, have the responding agencies been able to arrange the air drops with retardant? Seems like an unusually high amount of devastation.

Since most retardant works by depleting oxygen, I doubt that you can drop retardant on inhabited areas.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:

Since most retardant works by depleting oxygen, I doubt that you can drop retardant on inhabited areas.

Yeah, not without evacuating completely first, hitting someone with 3 or 4 tons of fast moving liquid from the sky could kill them, imagine the outrage and court cases after that. There's also the problem of smoke making it unsafe to fly ahead of the fire where it would be most effective.
And the new 21'st century issue of idiots flying thier drones where the tankers are trying to work, a real problem near inhabited areas now.

Good to hear you are safe Steve, hopefully others can have similar luck.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Steve - those were my own thoughts. Cathy knows someone in that area from the local walk for cancer thing she sponsors every year. Apparently from the time the evacuation notice was given to the time the winds pushed the flames thru was something like 15 minutes.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Glad you're safe, SGKent. Scary shit.

My parents home in Santa Rosa is in the evacuation zone, and while they're fine and the house is fine, but quite a few people I grew up with live/lived in Coffey Park, Larkfield-Wikiup and other areas impacted by the fire. Hell, the Kmart that burned is where I bought my first bike with my own money...

What I've heard about the conditions Sunday/Monday makes me think of the night when the Oakland Hills fire started back in '91 -- warm, dry and hella windy. My Scout troop was camping in the hills east of Petaluma that weekend .. almost blew my tent down the slope. Rolling Eyes
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
What I've heard about the conditions Sunday/Monday makes me think of the night when the Oakland Hills fire started back in '91 -- warm, dry and hella windy. My Scout troop was camping in the hills east of Petaluma that weekend .. almost blew my tent down the slope. Rolling Eyes

i remember that, i was at a Public Enemy show in oakland and the hills behind it were all on fire...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Yes, very tragic. My buddies winery he works for burnt down. You all probably saw it, Signorello Estate. My two sisters and mom live in Napa. You can see the fires on the hill behind where they live. Cars are packed up and ready to go as the winds are forecasted to pick up. Be well all you folks in the area.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

That's just heartbreaking. In the last few years I have had 2 fires stopped just blocks from my house. That is unbelievable devastation. And many folks had very little warning. At least in my case we had a day to ready for evacuation on the big fire. That was the first time I had seen a jet airliner dropping retardant. It always used to be WWII refitted bombers before that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

I don't know if this link will work or not, but this was what I was asking about... it will be blocked by the network's Facebook login screen, but you can click 'not now' at the bottom of that, then play the video:

https://www.facebook.com/CBSSanFrancisco/videos/10155177759189436/

I wasn't trying to suggest a large dump of red snot on evacuees, but I suppose that could have been implied. The idea is to dump it on the location prior to the flames getting there, so hopefully people would have already left by that point.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Steve - we saw that air tanker leaving McClellan Field yesterday while we were on the way home. Huge 747 air tanker. Many of the large CalFire planes fly out of there.

from home tonight I was thinking about all this. I think we are spending too much money deciding how many trees are needed before one gets AG water, whether the home should have a lawn or decomposed granite in front of it, whether a bullet tip is cheating the magazine button law, whether we should arrest someone for saying he instead of she, too many laws determining who can pee in a specific toilet, while the city parking elevators are used for a toilet for the homeless - not to mention the hepatitis outbreak from it in San Diego, and not enough time planning for emergencies like this. I see a Katrina here where the state says nothing like this can happen here but it does. Some 90 year old man burned to death in a mobile home because there was no one to drive him away from the fires. He'd lived there a very long time. Can't believe the state feels it is more important to spend millions figuring ways to beat the 2nd amendment than build and maintain a database of folks who absolutely will need help in this kind of emergency. The reason it is a pattern to me is last winter we turned on the TV here in the Sacramento area and a warning flashed on the screen - "if you are in the following communities evacuate - Oroville dam is in the process of breeching and it is anticipated it will fail within the next 15 minutes - evacuate immediately. Seek high ground" Fortunately they barely got out of that one. Even now when one reads the engineering reports that have been published they are worried about a wet green area on the main dam. The roots that damaged the mail spillway were there for years and the inspection crews just wrote them off. The state is failing miserably to do its duty in leadership on these things. The party and guy at the top would rather spend billions digging tunnels than simply maintaining what is already in place. Look at what bay owners here have had to go thru with catalytic convertors and we still don't have an approval from ARB. I wrote them last week and they said we'll see if we can find someone to answer your questions - and........ I am still waiting for that someone to contact me - apparently so was the 90 year old in the mobile home but help never came.

Quote:
My buddies winery he works for burnt down.

Really sorry. Let us know how it turns out for him. Being out of a place of work and a paycheck would not be much fun.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

You would have plenty of money if you didn't have to bail out the rest of the states, for which we thank you.

God bless and stay safe/
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

GOD BLESS YOU
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
we saw that air tanker leaving McClellan Field yesterday .
You must live pretty close to me. I am on the east side of Folsom Reservoir off of Salmon Falls.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Amazing just how fast those fires are moving. Not much anyone can do to really stop them either. Stay safe!!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

static wrote:
SGKent wrote:
we saw that air tanker leaving McClellan Field yesterday .
You must live pretty close to me. I am on the east side of Folsom Reservoir off of Salmon Falls.

Near Granite Bay at the edge of Citrus Heights off Old Auburn Rd.

Randy in Maine wrote:
Amazing just how fast those fires are moving. Not much anyone can do to really stop them either. Stay safe!!

Not once they get going. The San Jose Mercury has written an article that downed power lines from PGE during the windy night started many of the fires. If so the State has oversight in enforcing this kind of issue, just like they did at Oroville Dam, and at San Bruno when the gas line blew up.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/10/pge-power-lines-linked-to-wine-country-fires/

Quote:
In all, according to a review of emergency radio traffic by the Bay Area News Group, Sonoma County dispatchers sent out fire crews to at least 10 different locations across the county over a 90-minute period starting at 9:22 pm to respond to 911 calls and other reports of sparking wires and problems with the county’s electrical system amid high winds.

airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Y'all have been asking Reply with quote

Shut off the electricity intentionally when there are so many reports of downed lines?

Im sure it's not that simple and it would likely take out a ton of homes that aren't in the direct path, but at this point the extreme measures need to be considered.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: