Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

The definitive history on the Volkswagen development, Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber, has been out of print for a long time, and prices have risen accordingly. This is one of the more reasonable offers I have seen in quite some time. A sizeable piece of cash, but still not near those ridiculous 2 k offers I have seen.

The book is amazing, and I am not selling my copy. Just thought someone might be interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Birth-Of-The-Beetle-By-Chr...0290.m3507

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy... Shocked ! I am almost tempted to let my copy in perfect condition go for that amount...almost.. Very Happy ! Interesting; my feeling is that not many other printed VW related items like brochures and other books are showing the same increase in value.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I don't remember how much I paid for mine but it was right after the number 6 thread started. I think I paid around $50. Glad I got it when I did.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Same here Smile.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Great price relative to recent offers. Thanks for the notice.

Amazon shows several used at or near this price, plus a few much higher, and new... Shocked nearly $1000!
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Amazon shows several used at or near this price, plus a few much higher, and new... Shocked nearly $1000!

I actually saw a couple at above 2k! The most expensive on amazon now is $600.

This is one sad result of Amazon and Ebay making items like this available to the whole world at the klick of a mouse. Supply and demand. Yesteryear, you had to scour every catalog of antique bookshops, and if you were lucky you could find it after a year of search. But the price used to be less than new for such new editions. I cannot remember seeing newer books like this go through the roof in the same way.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I bought my first beetle books from the oldest and most respected (and still to this day, the only) automotive-only bookstore in Milan, the Libreria dell'Automobile, whose owner (Mr.Giorgio Nada) also runs a motor-themed publishing house. It was an emotion to enter there and let my eyes run on the wooden shelves along the books, rigurously placed in alphabetic order by marque. I remember Alfa Romeo and Ferrari had quite a lot of space, but any marque was there, and if there still wasn't a book on it, Mr.Nada was always about to publish one.
I bought there my now prized 80s VW-museum catalog in german language as well as many other books on other car marques of my interest.

well "birth of the beetle" was the first I bought online. Because it was something like 5 euros cheaper. I don't think it's for the good or the bad, it's just a new way to sell. This year I found the complete "Der Kaefer" series (a NOS series can go for thousand of euros), as well as the last edition of "volkswagens of the world" both for human-being fitting prices, after literally years of scouting on ebay.

the internet lets people know that a book is around so demand rises up quickly, but you still have to do that sleuth work to find out-of-print editions. and when "volkswagen of the world" arrived at my door from an english bookshop, as soon as I unwrapped it I smelled the typical "old bookstore fragrance" I used to smell as a kid in the Libreria dell'Automobile.

technology tweaks our lives a bit, but we are still humans.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Why is this book better best than the several historical takes I read out of several book over the last couple decades?

More in depth? Just curious to know why you guys think its great.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Complete and thorough telling of the story of the early prototypes and following them through the years, actually following the car numbers and what happened to them. Detailed information on the tests, and the who's and what's.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

No other book even comes close.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I still have the copy my mom bought me when I was a kid.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

This is one sad result of Amazon and Ebay making items like this available to the whole world at the klick of a mouse. Supply and demand. Yesteryear, you had to scour every catalog of antique bookshops, and if you were lucky you could find it after a year of search. But the price used to be less than new for such new editions. I cannot remember seeing newer books like this go through the roof in the same way.

Sort of but mostly there are sellers on Amazon that list things for stupid amounts to see if they sell. I've seen this with several other books too and found them from other sellers or elsewhere for a fraction of the price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
allsidius wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Perhaps unrelated, though I followed the link and (finally) bought myself a copy of this landmark book...Only to be later dismayed by the ensuing sellers' message: "I'm sorry but the book sold on another web site 17 minutes before you purchased the book. I was away from home when this occurred and had no way to remove this listing. I will immediately refund your payment. Once again I am sorry. Thank you for your understanding. Embarassed
For whatever it's worth; she did issue a refund as stated...though still a lost opportunity...so, the hunt continues. Arrow

Birth Of The Beetle By Chris Barber 2003 Hardcover"

Sort of but mostly there are sellers on Amazon that list things for stupid amounts to see if they sell. I've seen this with several other books too and found them from other sellers or elsewhere for a fraction of the price.

What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Grant Reiling wrote:
Perhaps unrelated, though I followed the link and (finally) bought myself a copy of this landmark book...Only to be later dismayed by the ensuing sellers' message: "I'm sorry but the book sold on another web site 17 minutes before you purchased the book. I was away from home when this occurred and had no way to remove this listing. I will immediately refund your payment. Once again I am sorry. Thank you for your understanding. Embarassed
For whatever it's worth; she did issue a refund as stated...though still a lost opportunity...so, the hunt continues.

Birth Of The Beetle By Chris Barber 2003 Hardcover"

That is truly disappointing. I would raise a complaint against the seller on Ebay, I do not think this is allowed, unless clearly stated in the description. I have found the Ebay claims service helpful sometimes, although real tricky to get in touch with. I assume Ebay wants their sellers to deliver what they offer. You will probably not get the book, but he will possibly receive a warning from Ebay.

MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
....This year I found the complete "Der Kaefer" series (a NOS series can go for thousand of euros).....

Seriously? You mean the series by Etzold? I have all 4 and bought them about 25 years ago. If I do a search now they come up for 20-30 euros each not thousands...would have been a good investment though Wink!
Mif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152740480219

I spotted this on eBay uk yesterday if it’s any help to anyone?
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Mif wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152740480219

I spotted this on eBay uk yesterday if it’s any help to anyone?

Yes indeed; thanks for posting this mif; bid placed...wish me luck. Exclamation Cool
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks for that Mif, now everyone on here knows about it, it's sure to stay a baragin lol!
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

favguy wrote:
Yeah, thanks for that Mif, now everyone on here knows about it, it's sure to stay a baragin lol!

Precisely why I got it elsewhere. Wink Arrow
Misaru Emoto
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I have an unopened German copy if anyone has an unopened to very good English version to trade. Smile

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: