Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

oldovaldriver wrote:
Can anyone provide contact information to buy the German edition? I just checked on Bookfinder.com in Germany and nothing came up. What is the German title, Geburt des Kaefers? I'd consider selling my English version and trading for the German. Reading German is a kind of fun challenge for me, and certainly seems appropriate to the subject!

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Der-Kafer-Chris-Barber/162...SwWflaBwiN

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Forget a reprint, how about a revised edition? If you cull through the vintage photos in this forum, there are a wealth of new KdF-era photos.
I'm sure there's also new information that must have come to light in the last 15 years.

This photo alone would be worth a revised edition!

I totally agree, there was so much information that came to light in the restoration of VW 38/06 too, that could be used for such a revised edition. Also, there is an astonishing amount of unseen pictures posted on Facebook page Volkswagen prototypes, too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Here is one on ebay but the price is way up there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Birth-of-the-Beetle-by-Ch...Sw6GJZ8QnU
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
Here is one on ebay but the price is way up there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Birth-of-the-Beetle-by-Ch...Sw6GJZ8QnU

He will soon cool off, I don't think he can sell it at this price. The going rate lately has been just shy of 300 EUR.

For all Adam Smith fans, I am well aware of the workings of market economics, but I don't think many beetle fans shell out 550 EUR for a 30 EUR book without checking previously attained selling prices.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

The German version is a bargain.

https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_8_12?__mk_d...DPS74C08HY

https://www.ebay.de/sch/Bucher/267/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=chris+barber+k%C3%A4fer
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I see another one has popped-up on ebay.uk in time for xmas
ianlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I contacted Haynes today and they replied within an hour:

Hello Ian

Thanks for your email.

Haynes General Interest department are now just publishing colour manuals on a variety of subjects but unfortunately the approach of this title doesn’t fit the manual format.

We therefore wouldn’t be able to consider republishing it (and rights would now have reverted back to the author).

Sorry we couldn’t come back with more positive news.

Regards

Louise McIntyre
Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

ianlaw wrote:

We therefore wouldn’t be able to consider republishing it (and rights would now have reverted back to the author).

I think those are, indeed, good news - if we could contact the correct Chris Barber, and if he could be persuaded to try an e-book edition.

I have no idea on how to actually publish anything, but I suppose that not having to deal with printing and distribution could facilitate things...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

The latest, mint condition copy sold for £216 in the UK, that means that 3 copies have sold in the range of just under $300. No need to pay much more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192369138599?ul_noapp=true

Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I thought this book sounded familiar. I went looking on my shelf and sure enough.....I have one. Read it many years ago and put it next to my other cool VW books. Funny how things get old and expensive.....lol

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

For those of you still holding a library card and actually just want to read this book I found this Borrow list.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/birth-of-the-beetle-.../978072086

Although I know a lot of us like collecting rare items having to do with our favorite hobby. This might hold some of us over for now.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

How much will they charge you If you " loose" it?
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

^LOL

Interesting that if you follow the link it shows that Barnes&Noble still has it listed for $54.75 but "temporarily out of stock"...

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/birth-of-the-beetle-chris-barber/1112018862?ean=9781859609590

Luckily I have a copy already Cool
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:

Just your soul.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
usariemen wrote:

Just your soul.

Long gone.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Just throwing this out there... is it really that good a read?
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I've sold a couple of copies of this book during the past year in A1 condition for around £100.
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
Just throwing this out there... is it really that good a read?

Yes it is. I have about 20 to 30 vintage and newer VW books, and none comes even close. The level of detail, the accuracy is at a totally new level compared to any of those lesser books. C Barber has had access to countless original VW and Porsche memos and factory drawings, making him able to pinpoint crucial decisions regarding design choices.

The book precedes the Etzold book Der Kafer, which only deals with production development.

Questions asked by Birth of the Beetle are typically: How many other engine types were tested before settling on the flat four? Who made each and every prototype up til the construction of the KdF factory, in many cases the fate of each car is told up to scrapping.

Since the book was written, a mountain of new pictures have been released, and the VW38/06 restoration especially added a lot of inside info that completes the information in the BoB. I bet an even more detailed account could be written today. (Who knew all those quirky details about the headlight buckets of the VW38 series?) But overall, I would say it is a book not to be missing from any VW nut's bookshelf. It is the last one I would part with.

scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Even so, it's a recent book, and should not be so expensive or hard to get. It's not like it's a college textbook.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Even so, it's a recent book, and should not be so expensive or hard to get. It's not like it's a college textbook.

I couldn't agree more. That is one of the less fortunate effects of the world wide web, which has made any publication or other sellable item available to the whole world. Books that have recently gone out of print, but while still in demand, fetch ridiculous prices. I guess Amazon has something or everything to do with it. You can get any book at all, as long as you pay what we ask. In the days of the bookshops, you would have to scour all their catalogs for what you wanted, but the prices were not extortionate for recently out-of-print books. Later, you would join waiting lists by Email all over the continent for what you wanted. Still no price hike. Now, Amazon has a calculator that makes up these funny prices from supply vs. demand algoritms. I have seen Amazon asking 2000 dollars for it. My experience is that Ebay is still the best place for such purchases. Hope it stays that way.

Read the thread in full for a better view of the situation.

And by the way, you do know who just bypassed Bill Gates as richest man in the world?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: