Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

Was a time established yet?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

Shall we shoot for 2 PM on Sunday, 10/28?

Station 26 Brewing Co.
7045 East 38th Ave, Denver, CO 80207

Looking forward to it!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nepawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

See you then.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

Bumping the thread as a reminder. We're still on for Sunday.

First one to diagnose my oil leak gets a free beer.

(I mean it's obviously coming from the rear main again, but I can't tell if it's the oil pan gasket or the seal itself.)

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

(I mean it's obviously coming from the rear main again, but I can't tell if it's the oil pan gasket or the seal itself.)

It's the rear main seal. It's always the rear seal. The oil pan gasket would be just too easy.

I'll take a nice tall cool Amber Ale.

Hoist one for me
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
joetiger wrote:

It's the rear main seal. It's always the rear seal. The oil pan gasket would be just too easy.

I'll take a nice tall cool Amber Ale.

Hoist one for me

You got it!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Dabbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

Sure wish I hadn't missed the last one in my hood. Have to be in Denver already Sunday so I'll try to make it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

Gonna have to sit this one out. Wife got a fancy new carbon fiber 5" mountain bike yesterday so we will be playing with that on Sunday!!!
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

A little off-topic so sorry... I finally went to do emissions on my Syncro with EJ25 Subie swap today.

1. I sent it through decoupled (2WD)... should I couple-up and send it through the 4WD lane for any reason?
2. I didn't get that far as it was deemed untestable due to the oil light not working. Is there anything particular about the Subie swap that could affect this? Could it be as simple as a bad bulb? I haven't taken the gauge pod out yet so I have no idea what spookiness lurks behind the dash.

My Pennsylvania (where I purchased it) in-transit temp. tag expired on the 23rd (me being a smart guy didn't realize this until today and was waiting to sell an old vehicle for the plates)... so if I can make it out Sunday I will probably be in my Ghia to avoid any possible run-in with The Law.

Sorry to go off-topic, just figured it was applicable to the folks watching this thread being in Denver with Vanagons and some with Subie swaps.

Thanks.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

rpureber wrote:
A little off-topic so sorry... I finally went to do emissions on my Syncro with EJ25 Subie swap today.

1. I sent it through decoupled (2WD)... should I couple-up and send it through the 4WD lane for any reason?
2. I didn't get that far as it was deemed untestable due to the oil light not working. Is there anything particular about the Subie swap that could affect this? Could it be as simple as a bad bulb? I haven't taken the gauge pod out yet so I have no idea what spookiness lurks behind the dash.

My Pennsylvania (where I purchased it) in-transit temp. tag expired on the 23rd (me being a smart guy didn't realize this until today and was waiting to sell an old vehicle for the plates)... so if I can make it out Sunday I will probably be in my Ghia to avoid any possible run-in with The Law.

Sorry to go off-topic, just figured it was applicable to the folks watching this thread being in Denver with Vanagons and some with Subie swaps.

Thanks.

1. From Samba user BavarianWrench in my Syncro thread after I posted about going to emissions:

was the Driveshaft in when they did the etest? If it was, and you had it decoupled, thats not so good? The decoupler was not designed to have the front output flange held stationary while the decoupled shaft spins at 60mph. In most on road situations the front wheels are moving at close to the same speed as the rears. Some decouplers only have a bushing to support the shaft and no decoupler has a very large oil supply going to it to cool it. I always run mine 4wd in the 4wd dyno lane. Your photo shows you're in the 2wd lane. Just a heads up for two years from now.

2. I've never heard of a nonfunctional oil light being a reason to fail, but it appears that it's a thing! Learn something new every day. I think this question deserves its own thread...There are plenty of 2.5 Subie guys around who can probably provide insight but who won't be looking in this thread. I have a few guesses but my Subie is a 2.2 into an '85, so pretty different wiring.

Bring the Ghia!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

Good to know of #1, thanks. I'd thought I'd seen something on this before but couldn't find it again. I guess I will couple it and go through the 4WD lane next time.

I'll post up in the Vanagon topic about the oil light. I don't know how to test it or if I even can. I wanted to figure it out and go back to emissions then to the DMV today... but, you know... gotta work to pay for these things.

My wife is pregz, she's been crazy busy at work and Sunday is her only day off... so she's not interested in hanging out at a brewery when she can't drink to talk about cars she's only mildly interested in. So... if she doesn't guilt me into spending time with her I hope to come out for a beer or two to meet you folks. Since the Syncro won't be street-legal I'll be the one in the Ghia that probably can't get into the parking lot without scraping... you know, smart guy with a practical car.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

rpureber wrote:
Good to know of #1, thanks. I'd thought I'd seen something on this before but couldn't find it again. I guess I will couple it and go through the 4WD lane next time.

I'll post up in the Vanagon topic about the oil light. I don't know how to test it or if I even can. I wanted to figure it out and go back to emissions then to the DMV today... but, you know... gotta work to pay for these things.

Actually, you should move this to a dedicated Colorado emissions thread like the one below one or start a new thread with a strong title that has links to all the best info you can gather. That way, two years from now, some other newbie can easily find, benefit and add their new experience to the collective knowledge on the topic. Hiding good emissions info/experience in this beer-drinking social thread just confused the newbies and makes it harder for them to find the info they are searching for.

Here's a good thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8200881&highlight=emissions#8200881

You may learn something about testing a decoupled Syncro in Colorado here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6816635&highlight=emissions#6816635

Anymore, I just do this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8826533&highlight=emissions#8826533

Quote:
My wife is pregz, she's been crazy busy at work and Sunday is her only day off... so she's not interested in hanging out at a brewery when she can't drink to talk about cars she's only mildly interested in. So... if she doesn't guilt me into spending time with her I hope to come out for a beer or two to meet you folks. Since the Syncro won't be street-legal I'll be the one in the Ghia that probably can't get into the parking lot without scraping... you know, smart guy with a practical car.

This is a different matter entirely and far more serious.

If I learned anything from 33 years (and climbing) of marriage that included raising a pile of kids, it is in your best interest to avoid putting her in a position of having to guilt you into doing anything because you will both eventually resent it. You know that she wants to spend her one day off with the love of her life and father of her soon to be child. This is an absolute no-brainer, make it happen. Put your complete focus on her. Take her out, treat her like royalty and make sure she knows that you consider her to be the most wonderful thing in the world.

If it's her first child, she's probably scared of what's to come, feels like her body is being taken over by an alien, knows that the only way out of this situation YOU created is for her to painfully pass something roughly the size of a halfway deflated basketball and convinced that she's turning into a big ugly Zepplin. It's your job, nay, your duty, to convince her otherwise and that you love her even more because of all of the above. This is when she needs you the most. And, most importantly, don't show her the first sentence of this paragraph.

You have had your fun Very Happy, now it's your time to shine for her. Whatever you do, do us all a favor and DON'T spend her one day off away at a bar talking vans with a bunch of old pharts you've never even met. There will be plenty of time for that when you show up with her beaming and your beautiful kid in tow.

Now, what were we talking about again?

I think I need a beer...
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
rpureber wrote:

Actually, you should move this to a dedicated Colorado emissions thread like the one below one or start a new thread with a strong title that has links to all the best info you can gather. That way, two years from now, some other newbie can easily find, benefit and add their new experience to the collective knowledge on the topic. Hiding good emissions info/experience in this beer-drinking social thread just confused the newbies and makes it harder for them to find the info they are searching for.

Here's a good thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8200881&highlight=emissions#8200881

You may learn something about testing a decoupled Syncro in Colorado here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6816635&highlight=emissions#6816635

Anymore, I just do this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8826533&highlight=emissions#8826533

Quote:

This is a different matter entirely and far more serious.

If I learned anything from 33 years (and climbing) of marriage that included raising a pile of kids, it is in your best interest to avoid putting her in a position of having to guilt you into doing anything because you will both eventually resent it. You know that she wants to spend her one day off with the love of her life and father of her soon to be child. This is an absolute no-brainer, make it happen. Put your complete focus on her. Take her out, treat her like royalty and make sure she knows that you consider her to be the most wonderful thing in the world.

If it's her first child, she's probably scared of what's to come, feels like her body is being taken over by an alien, knows that the only way out of this situation YOU created is for her to painfully pass something roughly the size of a halfway deflated basketball and convinced that she's turning into a big ugly Zepplin. It's your job, nay, your duty, to convince her otherwise and that you love her even more because of all of the above. This is when she needs you the most. And, most importantly, don't show her the first sentence of this paragraph.

You have had your fun Very Happy, now it's your time to shine for her. Whatever you do, do us all a favor and DON'T spend her one day off away at a bar talking vans with a bunch of old pharts you've never even met. There will be plenty of time for that when you show up with her beaming and your beautiful kid in tow.

Now, what were we talking about again?

I think I need a beer...

Perfect. All of it.

Thanks!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

Might try to stop by, since I have to take something to DIA to ship for a trade show.
I'll be without a Vanagon, since it seems to be a mirage that I'll get my pile of accumulated parts and Westy on the road.
Since I just quit my current job to go on my own, it will probably be awhile longer.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dabbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

LMK if there’s a better place to post these. Great meeting you all. Till next time!
-Stewart

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

Great photos Stewart, thanks!

We had a picture-perfect afternoon yesterday and as always it was great to see old friends and to make new ones. We're going to make a serious effort to do it more often.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

I missed this one.
When is the next one!
D
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

Huh, is that green one (with early metal rear vents) a Syncro or did the early vans have the side lights offset rearward too? Like the color combo.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Huh, is that green one (with early metal rear vents) a Syncro or did the early vans have the side lights offset rearward too? Like the color combo.
-d

That's Nepawesty's '80 automatic with Subie 2.5. He did all the paint/body/interior himself; it is extremely impressive in person.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Vanagons & Microbrews (like Cars & Coffee, but tastier) Reply with quote

It was really nice to finally make one of these and even better to meet the people. As you can see, and impressive row of Vanagons. Thanks to whoever is responsible for making this happen.

My Westy was the white one 4th in line. Yes, I need paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: