Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

Finally made it up the wait list for a tent from Ateliers PK. I've been waiting well over a year, maybe closer to two?...
Anyway, curious about a couple color choices and wondered if anyone has pics/reviews of the following installed:
Charcoal Grey 6044
Cadet Grey 6030
Taupe 6048
Spa 6473
Aspen 4668

Not really interested in reviews of the tent quality, installation, etc. I know they're good, just trying to decide on the color. It's hard to tell with the color samples on the website.
This is going on a late model blue Westy with grey interior.
I kind of like the Aspen but can't tell if it's more of a light sage green?
http://www.atelierspk.com/
Thanks!
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

Pierre will send you material samples for you to choose your colour.
Just send an email requesting which ones you want samples of...painless.
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

OK I'll give that a shot. Email sent, in the meantime anyone else have pics? Very Happy
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

Here is what my Aspen color Sunbrella looks like. I like it. I think I was trying to decide between this and Cadet gray which seems to be a popular color butmy van is white. This seems to match anything and gives the van a bit of personality.

You can also google the color name with Sunbrella and filter to just images and you will see other products done in that color like boat covers and awnings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

We did Linen(6033), I was able to dig up my old email order. If it was paint for a house I could also see it being called tan, beige or taupe. We went to a fabric store that had few sunbrella colors in stock, it helped us tremendously to hold the fabric up inside the van. Our westfalia has the grey interior and we live in the grey and rainy pacific NW. I wanted something to add some warmth to the feel of the interior. I would do the same color again.

Here is a cloudy day picture

Here is a mid-morning sun picture

Last edited by SSWesty on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

IMO it is also better to go with a lighter color/shade vs a darker one. I once had a pop top tent that was a beautiful red, and it got hot as hades in the sun. My current tent is a shade of light gray and does not really heat up. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

I thought lighter would be better too for desert heat but it does show smudges and marks easier. I have some where the lift arm folds and canvas stowed there rubs against it. Also in the front by the latch. I haven't tried to clean it off but a very light canvas might be prone to more dirt showing. In any case, it would be good to clean the top support bar and latch area before installing in case you have old grease or dirt built up there. Actually it is the perfect time to go crazy cleaning the top and repainting the metal parts.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

ditto on a light color to reduce heat. If we are camped in a dusty area I will wipe off the top of the body where the tent gets stuffed when the top is down. Dust and morning dew just translate to mud looking smudges on the tent. My tent also has a few small dark smudges from the hinge points of the lifting system and latch area.
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

Kinda liking the looks of the aspen. No word back from Pierre about the samples but I think there is a place nearby that works with sunbrella so I’m going to pop by and see what they have on hand. Anyone here have the charcoal?
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

Heard back from Pierre, he’s sending some samples near the end of the month. I’ll report back once received. Smile
jouko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

I went with Cadet Grey. I had thought of something more exciting, but worried about heat and the distorted interior light colour. Not the greatest pic, but it gives an idea of the “neutral” tone.

Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

Looking good jouko!
That’s what I’m thinking too, neutral and simple.

Side note, your ride height looks real nice. Smile
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

Got these over the weekend. I like the aspen 6068 and the charcoal grey 6044 but will probably go with the cadet grey 6030... Confused
Who opted for the removable netting?

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

Get the charcoal gray. It doesn't look that dark and the cadet gray will show dirt pretty easily. I doubt there is any heat build up (although I considered this when choosing colors). If it is hot and sunny, you will have at least one window open

http://www.sailrite.com/Product%20Images/Sunbrella...ric_35.jpg This is what sunbrella calls charcoal grey. I saw some vans with it and it looked nice.
http://www.sailrite.com/Sunbrella-6044-0000-Charcoal-Grey-60-Marine-Grade-Fabric

I did not get the removable side windows. I thought it that was unnecessary. I noticed the front removable screen is looser than the panel it covers but my side windows are perfect. If they were as loose as the front I would have been disappointed to have that. Anyway, I figure a seamstress can repair or replace a side screen if it ever needs to be. I have no regrets getting non-removable ones.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

Using Dave's source, here's Cadet Gray link to compare: http://www.sailrite.com/Sunbrella-6030-0000-Cadet-Grey-60 .

And here's my Orly Blue van with Cadet Gray (albeit Outdura version):

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Atelierspk tent color questions, pic request Reply with quote

Here's two pics of the Bus Depot grey tent on my '89. I do like the darker charcoal so now you got me thinking that way with the Sunbrella..... Question Confused
Decisions, decisions....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: