Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pros and cons of pop rivets?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrokeBus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

My spouse has a '74 Westy that we are having fixed up. From my research pop rivets (NOT aircraft grade rivets) seem to be okay for fixing small patches but I cannot seem to find anything about entire panels, such as the front end, corners, etc. Long term speaking is this bad or good? We are having it done to remove the rust but will this "fix" only end up rusting in the near future?

*sorry for the confusion, the person fixing it up won't be welding the panels on.

Last edited by BrokeBus23 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

I use clamps because they are faster than drilling the holes and filling them after the panel is welded.
BrokeBus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

The person doing this for us is not planning on welding...
BrokeBus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

This is what has been done so far.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

BrokeBus23 wrote:
The person doing this for us is not planning on welding...

Do yourself a huge favor, find someone else to repair your vehicle.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

This is not a lasting repair... you'll be paying to have it done again in a few years. These types of repairs should be done with proper welding and metal finishing and then proper treatment/sealing of the areas before being pAinted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

Rivets are okay for holding till welded, Cleco Fasteners are better for they are easy to put in and remove. The problem with pop rivets is eventually there will be vibration, the body filler will crack and or bond loosen allowing moisure to get in then rust.

Do it right once, or continue to pay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BrokeBus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies and we'll be looking for someone to weld her up.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

Please don't tell us you are paying someone to do this work. I'd be removing all of that filler and fixing it properly. Rivets or not try at least to preserve the body lines.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
Please don't tell us you are paying someone to do this work. I'd be removing all of that filler and fixing it properly. Rivets or not try at least to preserve the body lines.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This...
I wouldn't pay a dime to have someone rivet and bondo on a repair panel. Pop rivets are for holding on the panel until you weld... not holding the panel on long term.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

My work isn't perfect but that is just... wow.

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of pop rivets? Reply with quote

pop rivets are aluminium. They have a steel shank. When used in steel bodies the dissimilar metals will react with each other and actually promote corrosion. Do the job right, do it once...
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: