Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

'68 Beetle
Non-Doghouse Style Oil Cooler
Where can I find replacement nuts?
Are Nylock nuts available?

TIA.

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

Take the oil cooler (for fitting) with you to any ACE Hardware. They should have lots of little drawers in the store, including many metric nuts, bolts, etc. They have nylon lock nuts, too, but I'd just use the washers.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

They're just M6 nuts... nothing special.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

I don't think I'd put nylock on there either. Just a normal M6 spring washer is fine for me.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

Nylocks have worked for me for over 35 years there and on the generator backing plate. That's two places to use them for sure in my book.
Local hardware store should have them.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

Never had a generator backing plate that used nuts, mine always used 6mm bolt. But if you do use regular 6mm nuts for the oil cooler you do need the spring washer as mentioned and you should also use a flat washer. Oh yea torque is only 5ft pounds,
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Never had a generator backing plate that used nuts, mine always used 6mm bolt. But if you do use regular 6mm nuts for the oil cooler you do need the spring washer as mentioned and you should also use a flat washer. Oh yea torque is only 5ft pounds,

How do figure torque when using a self locking nut? Maybe look at the scale see when it moves and add five to that? Just a though I don't use self locking and never had one back off, oh and never have used any thread locker type chemicals either. Have used those to lock a stud in the case but that's a little different.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

Ace Hardware has 6.0mm x 1.0mm nuts of all these types, including locknuts.

However, I must state that I've never used locknuts on an oil cooler myself. I DO use brass 8.0 x 1.25mm nuts for the exhaust attachments to the head studs too, and this also allows me to use a smaller size wrench for better clearance/fit (Ace Hardware does NOT have those).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
busman78 wrote:

How do figure torque when using a self locking nut? Maybe look at the scale see when it moves and add five to that? Just a though I don't use self locking and never had one back off, oh and never have used any thread locker type chemicals either. Have used those to lock a stud in the case but that's a little different.

Fully agree with Zund. Never use lock nuts or any chemical locking liquids. Have always used spring washers and the correctly torqued measurements. I clean and oil all threads that I torque.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Never had a generator backing plate that used nuts, mine always used 6mm bolt. ,

Shoulda said where it mounts to the generator Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've had these come loose so I started using nylocks there and on the oil cooler.
As with anything personal preference.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
busman78 wrote:

Fully agree with Zund. Never use lock nuts or any chemical locking liquids. Have always used spring washers and the correctly torqued measurements. I clean and oil all threads that I torque.

Spring washer tend to fail from heat when used on exhaust studs on the heads. I use a copper plated self locking all metal nut there, with copius amount of antisieze. works everytime.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

I like both springywashers and nylockes. Ive used springy on ex and no issues with them loosing springyness. I think I use the nylockers on my alt too.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

So how do you read torque with a self locking nut?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Bolt stretch gauge? Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

Got it, back side of the backing plate, never had them come loose, out of site out of mind. I do not use self locking nuts, spring washers do an excellent job, always have always will.

I kind of borrowed this from another site about torquing Nylocks

The rule of thumb is to add the prevailing torque to the torque value when applying torque to a Nylock nut. This is because the prevailing torque doesn't contribute to bolt tightening. It is just friction that needs to be overcome.

For example, a Grade 5 1/4-28 bolt in tension lubricated zinc plating, with a torque of 10.5 lb. ft. produces a clamping load of 2,511 pounds.

If we use a use a Nylock nut that takes 2 lb. ft. of torque to turn, then 2 lb. ft. of torque is used in turning the nut leaving only 8.5 lb. ft. for bolt tension. Our clamping load is reduced to 2,009 pounds.

If, however, we take our original torque of 10.5 and add the 2 that the Nylock requires and set our torque wrench to 12.5, our clamp load is 2,511 pounds. The same as it was without the nylock.

You can use your torque wrench to measure Nylock nut torque and then add this value to the bolt's required torque.

Prevailing torque calculation should be done with your nut and your bolt using your thread lubricant. Published prevailing torque charts may give you an idea of how much torque is used up by the nut's locking feature, but in actual conditions, the results will vary. There is an interaction between the bolt threads, nut locking feature, and the thread lubricant (whether liquid or plating) that makes each prevailing torque calculation unique.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Nuts - Where To Find Replacements Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
when my wrist clicks and my eyes roll.like they are doing now. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: