Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

To go along with the topic Karmann Ghias on the big screen, here's one from the category of KG's in rock and roll. Probably a small category.

I was getting ready to play an album tonight and remembered there's a picture on the sleeve with a Karmann Ghia. Band is the The Buzzcocks, with a 1980 album called Different Kind of Tension. I've probably owned it since the early 80's. Don't know who is behind the nice looking, left hand drive Ghia, but I would like to think it's one of the band members. Maybe Diggle?

Let me know who's behind the wheel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HEIM BERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Hello,
I´m pretty sure it is John Maher.
I also listened to this album in the 80´s, it still sounds good today.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Elrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Thank you Heim Berg.

That is a really nice video. I took a close look at the sleeve with magnifying glass and I agree, the guy behind the wheel is John Maher. On closer inspection the ghia is showing some corrosion on the bumper and maybe some damage to the drivers side fender. The car may have been 15 years old when that picture was taken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks so much for posting, that is really cool. We all loved the Buzzcocks. Great band. I haven’t looked into it myself, but I’ve heard that one of the guys in Los Lobos has, or had a nice beetle. Another great band.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Thanks so much for posting, that is really cool. We all loved the Buzzcocks. Great band. I haven’t looked into it myself, but I’ve heard that one of the guys in Los Lobos has, or had a nice beetle. Another great band.

Just got back from a couple of weeks away and found this topic. Just really surprised you didn't post this picture you sent me back in 2014 John...

Picture shows, Joey Burns, Amparo Sanchez and your good self holding an album by an obscure Mexican band by the name of "Dazu Yorkers"...did you get to play the album?

If my memory serves me correctly you also posted a picture of a John Coltrane album with a Ghia on the cover John...remember?

Edit: I just searched images for "Dazu Yorkers" and this came up...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums Reply with quote

Here are some more Karmann Ghias on covers of music CDs, Singles or LPs. Rolling Eyes

Arrow http://www.karmann-ghia.nl/collectibles/index.php?...s%5B%5D=22

Only the last one - posted by John - is missing (at least at the moment Wink ) in my collection. Very Happy

Thanks John for your posting. Cool
Andre@KGPR/Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

WOW, I'm pretty blown away-- always loved the Buzzcocks, and they still get play at the house. They just played a show recently I saw clips of online & they sounded great! Of course I've seen the Ghia on the record, but I had NO IDEA of the Maher/VW connection until I watched the video posted above. Makes my day!

We have this up on the wall here-- obvious reasons are obvious Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

great posts!!! so many album covers with ghia's. we have a song called 'lost in space' it's on a rather obscure record called 'OP8 slush' with lisa germano. john i never did listen to that record from mexico...yet... and i don't know if you noticed on the back of 'the western suite and siesta songs' there is a picture of me in my ghia. cheers!!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
great posts!!! so many album covers with ghia's. we have a song called 'lost in space' it's on a rather obscure record called 'OP8 slush' with lisa germano. john i never did listen to that record from mexico...yet... and i don't know if you noticed on the back of 'the western suite and siesta songs' there is a picture of me in my ghia. cheers!!

Ha! Yep I forgot abot the picture on the rear of the album...I'll post it up tomorrow Smile
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Here's the picture from the back of John's album, "The Western Suite and Siesta Songs" - Niam Amor & John Convertino.

Available from all good record stores. Wink
wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Hello John & John,

thank you very much for the advice to my next collectible ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

That picture was taken when my dome light still worked!!!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:

I bought one of Jerry Heldt's excellent repos. Think he might still have one left. Smile
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:

someone needs to get back to showing his lowlight some love. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: KG's on albums - The Buzzcocks and a Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Here we have the next KG ...... shown in a booklet inside of a Bon Jovi music CD:

More Info here:

http://www.karmann-ghia.nl/collectibles/index.php?action=listingview&listingID=4477

Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: