Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Performance exhaust question.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance exhaust question. Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
modok wrote:
Baja J wrote:
I'm looking to replace the stock exhaust and heater boxes on my 1600dp with a header system. If possible, I'd like to have the tail pipes exit the rear apron...

And that's when I quit reading
Everybody wants that, but sorry it just does not fit unless you get VERY creative. You can't have all four pipes coming together AND a muffler AND the tailpipes in the same square foot, it's just too much stuff in not enough space.

I don't know... I've seen some side exit headers and mufflers up in the rear fenderwell. With such a system it should be possible to create a tailpipe to exit out the peashooter cutouts. Of course all this won't be cheap!

I prefer to have tailpipe exit drivers side fender. Passenger side is OK but more likely to hit a curb. Beside the valve cover is probably the only area large enough to fit a decent muffler if you have a header.

i COULD put a extention tailpipe pipe on there to move the exit to the pea shooter location but.....let think about this for a moment.
When I'm setting the timing and so forth, I prefer the exhaust not be aimed directly at me! Shocked
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance exhaust question. Reply with quote

modok wrote:
EVfun wrote:
modok wrote:
Baja J wrote:
I'm looking to replace the stock exhaust and heater boxes on my 1600dp with a header system. If possible, I'd like to have the tail pipes exit the rear apron...

And that's when I quit reading
Everybody wants that, but sorry it just does not fit unless you get VERY creative. You can't have all four pipes coming together AND a muffler AND the tailpipes in the same square foot, it's just too much stuff in not enough space.

I don't know... I've seen some side exit headers and mufflers up in the rear fenderwell. With such a system it should be possible to create a tailpipe to exit out the peashooter cutouts. Of course all this won't be cheap!

I prefer to have tailpipe exit drivers side fender. Passenger side is OK but more likely to hit a curb. Beside the valve cover is probably the only area large enough to fit a decent muffler if you have a header.

i COULD put a extention tailpipe pipe on there to move the exit to the pea shooter location but.....let think about this for a moment.
When I'm setting the timing and so forth, I prefer the exhaust not be aimed directly at me! Shocked

You prefer, others prefer... different strokes for different folks. I'm working on gassing my buggy (EVfun = Electric Vehicle fun, no longer unique and my desire for a commuter vehicle is now available from the dealer of my choice.) I have some exhaust preferences too!

I don't want the volume of dune buggy duals or the tuning issues I had when I ran them in the '90's. I don't want the exhaust system UP in my way, I want to keep it below the top of the pulley. I've never had a problem with where the stock exhaust exits while tuning my stock Bugs but I don't want the pipes up blocking access to the distributer and carb (plus I like the way the engine looks and don't want to block the view.) I really don't want the muffler located to where it makes adjusting the valves more difficult either. I have been keeping my eye on exhaust system threads, looking for ideas. One idea is a reproduction '73 Thing exhaust. Good ones are not cheap.
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Performance exhaust question. Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/A-1-Sidewinder-Muffler-Beetle-with-Drum-Brakes-p/a1-sw-dual.htm

Here ya go it costs a bit but it exits the pea shooter cut outs!
1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Baja J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Performance exhaust question. Reply with quote

pondervwmike wrote:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/A-1-Sidewinder-Muffler-Beetle-with-Drum-Brakes-p/a1-sw-dual.htm

That's just the muffler for $300, still another $350ish for the header.
Baja J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Performance exhaust question. Reply with quote

I ended up going with the AA Performance sidewinder exhaust. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it will work. And it didn't cost a small fortune.

I also went ahead and ordered a set of the dual 34mm solex carbs from Aircooled.net and got them set up since I will be losing manifold preheat for the stock carb.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Performance exhaust question. Reply with quote

Baja J wrote:
pondervwmike wrote:

That's just the muffler for $300, still another $350ish for the header.

He did say it aint cheap Very Happy
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Performance exhaust question. Reply with quote

Did you get the Stainless AA Sidewinder that is just $405 for header and muffler both? The A-1 would be over $900 in stainless, its definitely not for everyone.

This looks like what you got:
https://aapistons.com/products/copy-of-complete-1-1-2-stainless-steel-sidewinder-style-exhaust
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Baja J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Performance exhaust question. Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Did you get the Stainless AA Sidewinder that is just $405 for header and muffler both? The A-1 would be over $900 in stainless, its definitely not for everyone.

This looks like what you got:
https://aapistons.com/products/copy-of-complete-1-1-2-stainless-steel-sidewinder-style-exhaust

The stainless and ceramic versions were both $350 through CarCraft, I went with ceramic.
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance exhaust question. Reply with quote

Why did you choose ceramic over stainless?

is it to do with heat?

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: