Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sagebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

Hello! Long time lurker, first post.
I want to start gathering parts for a subi swap for my sandcar and am a little confused on the offerings out there.
Why does a 2006 EJ25 cost more than a 2015 EJ25? (talking used motors here)
Is it harder to make the newer motor a "stand-alone" motor package for sandcars/buggies?
Is there a particular motor that is above all others? EJ255? EJ257? etc..
I guess long story, short.
What is the preferable 2.5l naturally aspirated subi motor of choice?

Last question.
Is there a topic around here that shows stripping down the motor to the bare minimum? Leaving only accessories and sensors for what is needed for offroad use?
Appreciate any input!
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

Hey there... I say the best Subi you can get is the one you can get for a reasonable price! My 2000 EJ25 had a recent head gasket job and timing belt, then I picked up the whole car after it got in a light wreck. I'd suggest if you have the room to keep an entire car, or if you have the chance to pull the harness yourself... do that. I just recently documented a lot of the swap, read up on my build thread if you'd like.

Hands down, the best thing I've done for the buggy yet. If I were to do it again, I'd incorporate a 10° mount into the build... food for thought!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sagebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

Thanks PS, I'll def. look into your thread!

I just don't understand why I can get a 2014 2.5l with 17k miles for 800, but a 100k early 2000 commands well over 1200..
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

No clue. I gave $400 for the complete (lightly damaged but drivable) car. A little elbow grease and it was well worth it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sagebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:

If I were to do it again, I'd incorporate a 10° mount into the build... food for thought!

What do you mean by this? Mounting the motor at a 10* slope? Why? For clearance or oiling issues?
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

Piqued my interest. Posting to stay in the loop.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

The 10 degree kit helps get the Subaru oil pan up higher for better ground clearance

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
stooge57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

The later subarus (2006 and later ?) are CAN-bus and are much harder to get running with the stock ECU because several modules need to talk to each other. Most people use an after market ECU which could cost another $1K to 2K. Certainly a good reason to use an earlier motor.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

It's a play thing wrote:
The 10 degree kit helps get the Subaru oil pan up higher for better ground clearance

Yep. I shortened my oil pan 2" or 2-1/2", can't recall off hand. But with the engine cage and skid plate being 1-1/2" lower than the engine, I bottom out more than I'd like to even with a 3x3 suspension kit and the torsions cranked up quite a bit. Eventually I'll go coil over to help control the suspension travel better, but it could use the extra clearance.

Assuming the transmission and engine together are at least 3' ( I think more, but haven't ever measured, a 10° angle from the nosecone would yield 6-1/4" at the back of the pan, gaining huge departure angles and less chances of bottoming out.

danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

You have lots of things to consider...

Radiator placement/exhaust/wiring/engine support/gas tank/fuel pump/etc. etc.

Plan carefully - as they say - "measure twice cut once"

Smile

Here's my EJ22 powered buggy.

Smallcar oil pan and VSS.

Header from Outfront with a custom stinger.

Kennedy Adapter plate

Wiring harness by Jeff at Autoventures: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1434254

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dan

www.danielzink.com
Tremelune
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

You can find an absurd amount of info on Subaru motors on this forum:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/

That's where I would put questions specific to the EJ25. The "best" motor gets into serious minutiae, because there's some EJ207 with wicked power from a one-year, Japan-only STi, etc etc...
Tremelune
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

Also just stumbled on this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12EQhkLs2out6_UEfyKPzLI_6JWs5NGavP0su82M4jCY/edit
sagebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Subaru for buggy 2.5l N/A Reply with quote

Appreciate the responses. Links were very helpful..
Makes it even harder now! haha.. Seems like there are quite a few years to stay away from. From bad head gaskets to only being able to use a stand alone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: