Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pans of a 63 ghia
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Hi ,

new here and I might be buying a ghia 1963 coupe.I m from Belgium and I found the ghia here in the US. The bottom is heavily rusted as the vendor says.I asked some extra photographs to get an idea.
I wonder what is possible.Can the pans be changed even if the tunnel is heavy corroded? I read a lot here about changing the pans but I assume there has to be enough good iron to weld the pans on...
The body looks rather good,motor should be ok even as it has been garaged and not driven for 19 years.Car is complete- except the outside double side trims -, interior is ok but dirty , it s a kind of white, I hope I can clean it.Tires have to be changed .Everything works...
What are the thought of the experienced people here at the samba?
What should be a reasonable price?
I hope to post some photographs when I got them...

greetings from t meetjesland in Belgium
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

If pans are rusted it normally means that the heater channels will need work too. All can be repaired just know the extent of damage before figuring a value. They are type 1 so beetle tunnel with ghia pans will work. Sitting 19 years means it probably needs everything...
Post pics for detailed response.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

is this an original colour?
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:

is this an original colour?

Yes it is, Sea Blue. I've just finished restoring a '63 ghia in the same colour, with two-tone white roof.

Here is the 1963 colour chart which might come in handy for you..

ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Hi,

Angus thanx very much for the information . I am glad it s the original colour ,can only hope there s not too much bondo undrneath it, being the side trims disappeared .

Darrel , ok so a beatle tunnel might be the solution.I want to make it my project when I retire in a few years ... I hope . So no hurry ...

Stiil I wonder what I might pay for the car. So tunnel,rockers and pans replacement ,bad tires,bumpers have to be chromed, complete brake job ,seats and doorpanels headliner are dirty but intact . Don t know if a cleaning job will make them useable again.Car has been stalled in a garage for 19 years.

Positive car is complete , paint and body looks pretty good , it s a pre 1965 car this is what I am looking for and motor had before stalling a complete restauration...

Anyone an idea or tips or even better someone can have a look at the car -it s in the north west

greetings
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Sea blue is a cool color. Odd how rusty the tunnel is Shocked Rat piss. Laughing
Everything else looks pretty normal for a car that's been sitting. For the right price its a good candidate to toil in retirement.
The front mats are very hard to come by. All that interior is gold. Smile
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

I found a rolling chassis including pans from a 71 ghia which is in a good state. Can I use it for the 63 ghia body ? Are it the same measurements? other things that might not fit?

thanx
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

If you do a little searching I think there are some other posts with info. I think the main thing was changing the height of the shock towers in the rear, though you're also switching from swing to irs so there might be other things to consider. It certainly can and has been done.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Well i ve spent hours reading here at the samba .I also saw the you tube series from Pete changing the floorpans.
I t all sounds clear to me .What I do wonder is that the lip of the wishbone always seems to be in a rather good state. I didn t notice anyone saying that it was totally rusted or unusable or something like that.
As you can see the car i wanna buy has severe rust on the tunnel and as i can t see it in real it worries me a bit. What if the lip ins t in a good condition .
Using another wishbone changes the vin number which would be a problem for technical control here in Belgium.

Hopefully someone can help me out here...

greetings
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Virtually any rusted metal can be cut out and good metal welded in. In not seen areas like the pan/tunnel/wishbone repairs will not need as much finishing as outer body repairs. Whats the hold up? buy that thing. Very Happy
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Hi Darrel,

I allrady bought it ... The vendor is very busy and it all goes very slowely , I just asked her to see if the vin number under de back seat matches the number on the clear title. Didn t get an anwer till now but I hope to skype her for th first time tomorrow.....

Lots of things to think about shipping a car from the US to here......

I am not a proffesional welder myself but I can perhaps ask someone else for the difficult parts ....

Somethibg else , do you think these seats and door panels could be cleaned ? No magical product for that???

greetings
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Absolutely the interior can be cleaned. Thinned Simple Green and a tooth brush is a good start. Do some searches, read some restoration threads. You would be surprised how good it can look with a little effort. To some "restorers" the whole goal is to use all original parts. Read up on this "preservation"
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615130

The "not seen" areas are a great way to learn to weld...its what I did. Embarassed
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

thanx a lot ther s so much at the samba to read that links are really usefull

thinned simple green ??? never heard of . is it a kind of cleaning substance ? I think we don t know this here....
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

https://www.walmart.com/c/brand/simple-green
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Quote:
If you do a little searching I think there are some other posts with info. I think the main thing was changing the height of the shock towers in the rear, though you're also switching from swing to irs so there might be other things to consider.

Careful- chances are that the '71 rolling chassis that ELFRIED found would have swingaxle rear suspension. That was the design which was standard equipment on European market Ghias unless the Ghia was equipped with the semi-automatic transmission.

ELFRIED- I looked at the other photos in your gallery and must say that I can't see rot on the tunnel. The tunnel is covered with a tan-colored horsehair material from the factory for sound-deadening. I do see that material partially pulled off, which might give you the impression that the tunnel metal itself is rotted. I do see alot of rust on the floor pans, but those can be replaced if the basic tunnel bottom ledge is in good shape. If you consider using the floor pans from the '71, realize that your seats will not fit directly onto the '71 pans. Seat tracks changed in '69 in that the tracks are closer together starting on that year. You could transfer the tracks from your '63 floors onto the '71 pans so that you can keep your original seats. It's probably also just as easy to carefully remove the '71's tracks from the '71 pan and reweld them in the location per your '63's position. Make sure you don't throw out the '63 rotted floors before you get the '71 chassis so you can take careful reference measurements of the '63's seat rails.

SimpleGreen is a very popular cleaner in the USA. Named because of the dark green color of the liquid, and also that the formula is environmentally "green". I'm sure you can find an equivalent in Belgium. You really just need a household spray cleaner like a kitchen multi-purpose spray (without bleach!) that breaks down grease from your countertops. Important for success is to spray it onto the panels in a light mist, LET IT WORK IN for about 1/2 minute, then gently scrub with a soft toothbrush (darryl's recommendation, and time consuming due to the small brush size!) or a soft kitchen bristle brush for cleaning your dishes. Wipe off the dirty cleaner with a damp sponge dipped in hot water. Let dry, then repeat as needed.

I also agree that the Ghia's "original" color is Sea Blue, as per the deeper blue on the dashboard and the trunk. However, the exterior was repainted a slightly lighter blue, which would account for the side trim holes being filled during the bodywork and paint prep.

Also, I'd not yet get the bumpers rechromed immediately- I think that with a few hours' work with a good chrome polish, and/or 0000-grade steel wool (don't use any coarser grade) you can get a very good shine out of them.

Realize that the steering wheel and headliner are not the usual off-white like other Ghia colors. They are, per the large paint color guide which Angus posted earlier, tinted a very light blue. I have a '64 Ghia coupe in polar blue (repainted orange by a PO Confused ) that still has the lightly blue-tinted headliner. You have original blue carpet! Very Happy
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

I wonder why the pans are always welded to the wishbone ? If there have to be drilled holes anyway why not simply use little bolts and nuts???
also asier to remove later if they are shot.

Just a thought
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

KG has been hauled to the harbor of Oakland,now on the boat somewhere in the panama Canal heading for Rotterdam...
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Wow, that's a beauty. Have fun with the restore. Welcome to the forum.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

Thank you, love the forum, a real treasure for neofits like me...
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: pans of a 63 ghia Reply with quote

made his way through Gibraltar to Barcelona , now heading for Italy floating somewhere round Ibiza...
wonder where he's gonna go else before going to Rotterdam...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: