Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Key Blanks
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Key Blanks Reply with quote

Anybody know where to get blanks for gas cap keys? I only have 1 key for the cap I bought from The Thing Shop, but they don't sell the blanks. I saw some on ebay for $20 a piece, but I'll be damned if I spend that much on a flimsy key.

Also, on the key blank topic, I know I saw reproduction blanks of the real Thing ignition Key with the big black VW logo grip, but now I can't find them. Anyone know who sells those?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy on eBay selling Think gas cap key blanks is usually Gabriel. He's about the only source for NOS key blanks.

Long before you could find NOS blanks, I took my original key into the local locksmith. They were able to find a brass blank that didn't look anywhere near the original blank, but it works fine. Take your cap and key into a real locksmith, not the key copying guy at the hardware store. They should be able to set you up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm in the market for a NOS ignition key blank as well. My locksmith does have a blank that will do the trick, but it would be so much nicer to be able to cut one which is imprinted with the VW logo.

Is Gabriel (mentioned above) a possible source for ignition keys too? Any other known sources out there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel does have NOS key blanks, as well as accurate repros. If you want a NOS blank, be sure to specify you want a NOS steel blank. If you can take a pic of your current blank and send it to him, he can verify your car has its original lock cylinders.
Gabriel can also cut your new NOS blank to match your car. What you need to do is remove the door handles and read off the code. I'd recommend you pull both handles in case one has been changed in the last 30 years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: