Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

china steel...japan steel....whoose best....
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

well a enormusly large japan steel company just let the cat out of the bag so to speak...and it has a shit load of problems... for over 10 years that have been fudging on the steel grades&puritys&QC& specs & such...for oh somuch specialized steel products set to well over....500 manufacturing companys...including thier own nuclear power plants and aero space manufactures both in japan and around the world...... im sure gladd I get the china cranks&rods in my motors Wink
They are in a world of shit, the primminster was crying on the interview...real tears.the company head looked like he was about to keel over, oh somany heads are going to roll....I hope that have some good swards made before the scam so it's a clean cut. good thing my wifes honda element is a 2005 and made in marrysville ohio..... for std steel products this maens squat, but for specialized items like....AEROSPACE.....and nuclear plants...it aint good. I wonder whoo the whistle blower was...or who checked the steel and found it wasent up to spec...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I wonder whoo the whistle blower was...or who checked the steel and found it wasent up to spec...

Maybe some college students, like with VW...
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Anything Chinese, other than take-out food, I would not choose first if I can help it.

Japanese stuff have always been associated w/ quality work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
well a enormusly large japan steel company just let the cat out of the bag so to speak...and it has a shit load of problems... for over 10 years that have been fudging on the steel grades&puritys&QC& specs & such...for oh somuch specialized steel products set to well over....500 manufacturing companys...including thier own nuclear power plants and aero space manufactures both in japan and around the world...... im sure gladd I get the china cranks&rods in my motors Wink
They are in a world of shit, the primminster was crying on the interview...real tears.the company head looked like he was about to keel over, oh somany heads are going to roll....I hope that have some good swards made before the scam so it's a clean cut. good thing my wifes honda element is a 2005 and made in marrysville ohio..... for std steel products this maens squat, but for specialized items like....AEROSPACE.....and nuclear plants...it aint good. I wonder whoo the whistle blower was...or who checked the steel and found it wasent up to spec...

This sounds like fake news. You got a link to that story?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

The US purchases most of it's steel from overseas - very little of it manufactured here stays here. My neighbor (rest his soul) worked for 30 years at Lukens Steel here in PA. All the scrap that was brought to the refinery to be melted into ingots was sold to .. China. Anything produced here for the most part goes overseas, save for the odd military contract. Raw steel that is used in your Honda, Mark, is brought in from overseas. Who knows what the actual material content really is. Blame it on the government and trade unions for not keeping "American" steel on American soils.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Japanese stuff have always been associated w/ quality work.

Got a feeling you're not talking about anything pre-1970's, prior to then most of what came from Japan was generally considered to be subpar at best.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

For well over 10 years the U.S. has been camouflaging our propensity to exercise utter blind faith in Japanese and other Far Eastern manufacturing countries while hailing them as superior to American. It is we who made the chicken. We force the competition to create standards with which Americans will pay.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

It's real.

I read the story in the business section of our states daily newspaper.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Embarassed just google "Kobe Steel scandel" They admitted to falsifying test results in copper, alum. and steel- the guys running the bullet train over there are shitting twinkies-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Blame it on the government and trade unions for not keeping "American" steel on American soils.
Yet in England, their soda cans are made of "British Steel". Rolling Eyes
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

It's real.

I read the story in the business section of our states daily newspaper.

Thanks I was going to mention I too remember a time when Japanese stuff was crap, and to think we rebuilt them after WW2 under the Marshall Plan. Chickens are now coming home to roost.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

This explains Toyota's truck frame fiasco.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

That was a big deal I got paperwork on that but it seems really bad in rust belt. Imagine your less than 5 year old vehicle literally falling apart. I used to hang out over at that forum Tacoma world and the stories were incredible. But to their credit they did buy back a bunch and installed new frames too.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

First-generation Nissan Pathfinders (thru '95) have the same frame rot issues as the Tacoma, just not as well-publicized. Inspectors in the rust belt know to poke at the rear frame arches and reject for rust. The first-gen XTerras (pre-'05) are built on the same platform--don't know if Nissan fixed the rot problem with them.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Letterman7 wrote:
Blame it on the government and trade unions for not keeping "American" steel on American soils.
Yet in England, their soda cans are made of "British Steel". Rolling Eyes

Rolling your eyes why? We tout "american steel" when it clearly isn't. Britain is probably the same way.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Actually....and I have read this before snd heard it in numerous interviews as well......US steel production has remained largely unchanged....since 1969....until this year.

Its mostly made in high efficiency mini mills now. The same volume and type of production can be made without all of those huge and widely scattered blast furnaces....sadly.

What makes the difference is that our usage....and the world usage of steel....has increased 100 fold easily since 1969. From another graph I found somewhere dated 2017....I will look for it....US production is 5% of total world production of steel....and China is 51%.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/steel-production

So its untrue for the most part thst US steel manufacturing has dropped compared to the past. However it is true that we do not make most of what we use.

I think the other chart noted that we impirt about 71% of what we use.

We export a good chunk of what we make.....because its specific type, quality or shape.....or perhaps people buy what we e,port because they are closer to us than China. Shipping you know...... Ray
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

mid to late 70's they were getting every pellet Australia could produce from the Robe river project- or Hammerly mountain- Now both those mountains are holes in the ground-

Maybe carbon fiber is going to take over completely??

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
The US purchases most of it's steel from overseas - very little of it manufactured here stays here. My neighbor (rest his soul) worked for 30 years at Lukens Steel here in PA. All the scrap that was brought to the refinery to be melted into ingots was sold to .. China. Anything produced here for the most part goes overseas, save for the odd military contract. Raw steel that is used in your Honda, Mark, is brought in from overseas. Who knows what the actual material content really is. Blame it on the government and trade unions for not keeping "American" steel on American soils.

You're in the US, on an automotive forum dedicated to vehicles which were exported from Germany around the globe. These same vehicles were sold in the millions in the US market, and you're complaining that (today) US steel companies are selling their product in foreign markets. Your statement is ironic and lacks an understanding of business.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

That was a big deal I got paperwork on that but it seems really bad in rust belt. Imagine your less than 5 year old vehicle literally falling apart. I used to hang out over at that forum Tacoma world and the stories were incredible. But to their credit they did buy back a bunch and installed new frames too.

Well that explains the amount of rust on my Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla clone). It was built with Japanese steel, and assembled in California.
It also explains the rear quarter rust, and a section of body mount rust on my 99 Honda Accord that was built in Japan.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Embarassed just google "Kobe Steel scandel" They admitted to falsifying test results in copper, alum. and steel- the guys running the bullet train over there are shitting twinkies-
dont eat the twinkies!!!!thats not chocolate on top!!!
I saw it on the international world news.HNK reported it. I wont /dont watch the usa fake news...only face book Shocked Rolling Eyes where papajohn...or horney howeie's groped hillary while bill was blowing donald in the elevator ....as reported by putin.( he was pissed he wasent invited).
even the local news is staged and prescripoted for oh somuch crap. with news stories that are in reality paid adds. not just the illiberal stations either. sinclair brodcasting has the max amout of stations permited...and now...they have a guy in high place in our gov thats going to get that rule changed.(no not donald) Rolling Eyes , you can watch thier stations all across the usa report the exzact same scripted storys from the head office....many of witch are paid adds dissgized as news... and thier agenda news too and not the hole story....witch will have holes in it too.. no news is unbiased. kinda like ...that blue car rolled over. 6 times..no it was a teal car..8 times....no it was turquoise car..in a ditch.... but they do all agree it smells like poop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: