Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

china steel...japan steel....whoose best....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

My '67 bug has death foam and it's all good. Maybe it was the steel.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Your 67 bug doesn't have the crescent vents. I think that has WAY more to do with the non-rust through 70. 71-72 may be the luckiest two years for the crescent vent cars.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Your 67 bug doesn't have the crescent vents. I think that has WAY more to do with the non-rust through 70. 71-72 may be the luckiest two years for the crescent vent cars.

I know, I'm just saying that mine has the foam and is still all good. The crescent vents almost certainly helped speed up the rust...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Shocked the year -Superbooboo- came out with the invested sleeve motor, they also announced a 200+ pound lighter car Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes - BUT it had corrugations in the panels to make them "stronger"-- bet there aren't many of those around any more???

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

One of the major rust problems with the Toyota truck frame was a design issue.... Where ever they boxed the frame rails, The ends were kept open allowing water and dirt (MUD) to fill up the boxed area. There was no provision made to allow the water to drain. The mess stayed wet and started rusting from day one....I live in New England (NH) and we use a cubic shit-ton of salt on the roads. This accelerated the issue dramatically.....

Most all rust issues on cars are design flaws... Water gets in somewhere and can get out so it just starts the rust/rot problem.... Hell 99% of the rot on my bus is due to that very thing....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:
One of the major rust problems with the Toyota truck frame was a design issue.... Where ever they boxed the frame rails, The ends were kept open allowing water and dirt (MUD) to fill up the boxed area. There was no provision made to allow the water to drain. The mess stayed wet and started rusting from day one....I live in New England (NH) and we use a cubic shit-ton of salt on the roads. This accelerated the issue dramatically.....

Most all rust issues on cars are design flaws... Water gets in somewhere and can get out so it just starts the rust/rot problem.... Hell 99% of the rot on my bus is due to that very thing....

I'm lucky in that regard. I inherited my 1996 T100 4X4 from my mom. She lived many years in NorCal where it snowed a lot. Luckily, she lived on the side of Mt. Shasta so they used fine volcanic ash on the roads in winter instead of salt. The truck is still in fine shape.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

10 years ago, our company (gears) used Corus steel (UK) exclusively. Then the Chinese purchased Corus company, and the good materials became near impossible to obtain. The higher end Chinese manufacturers had first dibs. We now buy German steel. Not cheap.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

there supposed to be building a new still mill thingy in mobila alabama I think there up& running, not sure what all the doo/make, but the ship building&new airbus manufacturing plants were the big factor with it getting built there, as I recall it's a german company..I think...this&krup? thessenkrup? well its' better then japans pissencup company. the first air bus flew this year. many of our new battell ships&distroyres&cruisers are built in mobile too, even alluminum ships...stealth ones too.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Googled Green Steel came up with this:
Quote:
what is green steel?

I believe the term "green steel" refers to a grade of steel that lacks the presence of lead or other environmentally unfriendly elements.

1 Answers · Science & Mathematics · 09/07/2008

Green Steel a new process
https://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/13/green-steel-n...s-quality/

When I was a kid I would visit my Dad who lived in Sterling Il.
Sterling was the home of Northwestern Steel & Wire.
They basically melted down every bit of scrap metal in the upper mid-west and turned it into steel and wire.
I always assumed that they melted everything and the plastic and garbage simply burnt off into the air.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

I always assumed that they melted everything and the plastic and garbage simply burnt off into the air.

I don't know how it works with steel but when you melt down aluminum cans you are left with this slag. I was taught you have to add a mixture to it in order to get the slag to form. You then scoop the slag before pouring it into molds.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

My buddy would make stuff from old VW cylinder heads. His molds had long throwaway "ears", into which the slag migrated.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

I just saw on the newsy..another japan company has been falsefying stuff...Mitsubishi!!!!! woo whoo when will it end!!!! looks like china is the only one to trust to get crap from nowdays Shocked Wink Rolling Eyes hmm i wonder how the stuff from North Korea is...... Smile Think this is starten to get good!!! Popcorn
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

The Chinese are trying to get rid of the useless potmetals they melted during the time of Mao. That metal may be in your cranks. Laughing

Their military parts do not even interchange coz of poor tolerances. Would you want to be flying in something they made?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

so..no jumping you china engine bugs!!!! funny thing is a ford cylinder head and chevy head dont interchange either.......
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

I just saw tonight that Bosch has been nailed hard for operating a cartel...and price fixing....along with 2 other companys involving breaking systems and sparking bolts(aka sparkplugs).and 3 other companys got off with no fines due to blowing the whistle and helping nail bosch& the other 2(why they did not say the names of the other 2 I haven't a clue) it was a pretty big fine so.. now that the price fixing is over....and they have to pay the fines....were still screwed on the prices. Shocked
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I just saw tonight that Bosch has been nailed hard for operating a cartel...and price fixing....along with 2 other companys involving breaking systems and sparking bolts(aka sparkplugs).and 3 other companys got off with no fines due to blowing the whistle and helping nail bosch& the other 2(why they did not say the names of the other 2 I haven't a clue) it was a pretty big fine so.. now that the price fixing is over....and they have to pay the fines....were still screwed on the prices. Shocked

I just saw tonight that Bosch, along with two other companies involving braking systems and sparking bolts (a.k.a. sparkplugs), have been nailed hard for operating a cartel and price fixing. Three other companies got off with no fines due to blowing the whistle, and helping nail Bosch and the other two. Why they did not say the names of the other two, I haven't a clue. It was a pretty big fine. So now that the price fixing is over and they have to pay the fines, we're still screwed on the prices.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

I just saw tonight that Bosch, along with two other companies involving braking systems and sparking bolts (a.k.a. sparkplugs), have been nailed hard for operating a cartel and price fixing. Three other companies got off with no fines due to blowing the whistle, and helping nail Bosch and the other two. Why they did not say the names of the other two, I haven't a clue. It was a pretty big fine. So now that the price fixing is over and they have to pay the fines, we're still screwed on the prices.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/robert-bosch-gmbh-a...-installed

I think the VW Scandal has already proved the Germans are not any better businessmen than the rest of the world.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

Seems to be a bit more than just Bosch and two others are on the hook:

"Including Bosch, 34 companies and 29 executives have pleaded guilty or agreed to plead guilty in the division’s ongoing investigation into price fixing and bid rigging in the auto parts industry and have agreed to pay a total of nearly $2.5 billion in criminal fines."
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: china steel...japan steel....whoose best.... Reply with quote

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20180221/ANE/18...e-behavior

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: