Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help 1972 quarter window pop-outs
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Need help 1972 quarter window pop-outs Reply with quote

Need help. Searched the gallery and the forums with no luck. I have a 1972 Coupe with pop-out rear quarter windows. I can't find pictures or a diagram on how the body to window seal and flat aluminum trim around the outside of the window goes. Can't find anything on the hinge parts or installation. All I have is a bare piece of glass with the latch on the narrow end. In came in a box with several other parts none of which looks like it could hold the window in.

Can you help a brother out? Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: NEED HELP 1972 QUARTER WINDOW POP-OUTS Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps but I noted a difference in 72-74 quarter window types and linked a second thread too:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8151301&highlight=#8151301
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need help 1972 quarter window pop-outs Reply with quote

Thanks tjschmidty some more leads on how to put them back in. Nothing much on the hinge to pillar details. I don't have the hinge parts that I can find. I might make them fixed and just plug the hole in the glass. Sad
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need help 1972 quarter window pop-outs Reply with quote

I actually just did this. There is a metallic channel that is fixed (epoxy) to the straight edge of the glass. It has two slots for clips that protude out and accept a screw. These screws come from the polished aluminum vertical piece on the "B" pillar. This whole assembly is fitted in the rubber seal. I can't recall the order of assembly but it is a dance to get the screws set then get the seal to fit properly. It only worked with 2 people (for me) and some choice words.
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Need help 1972 quarter window pop-outs Reply with quote

You can kind of see the clips in this picture:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2102836
chipster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need help 1972 quarter window pop-outs Reply with quote

Were you able to get these going? I am in the process on my 1974 now, same assembly on the B pillar. not sure if there should be anything under the longer chrome piece that runs from corner to the B pillar, I took them apart 5 years ago. Let me know if you have any insight from doing them on yours! All the info here seems to revolve around the earlier cars, so I will take some photos of my luck.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need help 1972 quarter window pop-outs Reply with quote

Yes!

Please do take many photographs of your windows.

VW changed the design entirely beginning the 1972 model year.

Previously the glass "B" pillar was simply screwed in, now it is welded in.

My guess is that they needed to strengthen it for rollover occupant protection?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help 1972 quarter window pop-outs Reply with quote

See if these help. They are from my '73
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

d
chipster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need help 1972 quarter window pop-outs Reply with quote

Here are some from my 74 with trim and seal.
Sequence was:
-Put the rubber seal on the B-pillar trim, place on B pillar, lining up holes in trim with holes in pillar. Angled end of B-pillar trim goes pointing down.
-Secure main bottom trim piece in place (4 screws, holes should be there in body). There is a space between the trim and the quarter window sill where the seal mounts.
-Put pop-out latches on the window so they are ready to go when you get it in place.
-set the Quarter window rubber seal on in corner first, secure bottom and top but leave the B-pillar part loose.
-Put some silicone grease on the seal near B-Pillar where the window will go. to get the seal-hinge-trim to slide in together.
-Grab your window, slide the hinge side behind the little rubber seal on the B pillar trim and start sliding the rubber seal in from the other side
-Get hinges lined up with holes in seal & B pillar, attach with 2 small pan head screws through trim-B pillar-hinge.
-Make sure the window is centered in the quarter opening there is plenty of room to adjust the screws up or down on the B pillar
-open the latch, 3 raised countersunk screws hold that to the C pillar.
& Bob's your uncle.
Now check to make sure it opens & is still relatively centered in opening.

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help 1972 quarter window pop-outs Reply with quote

chipster wrote:
Here are some from my 74 with trim and seal.
Sequence was:
-Put the rubber seal on the B-pillar trim, place on B pillar, lining up holes in trim with holes in pillar. Angled end of B-pillar trim goes pointing down.
-Secure main bottom trim piece in place (4 screws, holes should be there in body). There is a space between the trim and the quarter window sill where the seal mounts.
-Put pop-out latches on the window so they are ready to go when you get it in place.
-set the Quarter window rubber seal on in corner first, secure bottom and top but leave the B-pillar part loose.
-Put some silicone grease on the seal near B-Pillar where the window will go. to get the seal-hinge-trim to slide in together.
-Grab your window, slide the hinge side behind the little rubber seal on the B pillar trim and start sliding the rubber seal in from the other side
-Get hinges lined up with holes in seal & B pillar, attach with 2 small pan head screws through trim-B pillar-hinge.
-Make sure the window is centered in the quarter opening there is plenty of room to adjust the screws up or down on the B pillar
-open the latch, 3 raised countersunk screws hold that to the C pillar.
& Bob's your uncle.
Now check to make sure it opens & is still relatively centered in opening.

Hello, thanks for the write up. In your 4th pic. Down it looks like there are 2 seals, do you remember where you bought these from? I'm trying to install the pop outs in my 72, and can't seem to find who might sell these seals. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: