Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding The 411 Race Car, Help!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding The 411 Race Car, Help! Reply with quote

zabo wrote:
dang ray -nice of you to give such thoughtful responses.

@ninjacoco what advice has the 914 crowd been giving you?

Thanks!...hopefully the Porsche people should be telling him the same things about the engine. That carb is the pits.

However...in stock trim...I find far too many of the Porsche people either do not know that much about these engines and have all of their work done by some expensive shop....or they believe that they are only workable if totally done exactly like factory (which is not horribly bad but leaves a lot on the table)...or believe that if the word racing is used...that it requires a huge level of prep.

They for sure should be saying...get rid of that damn carb...and put the sheet metal back on it! Thats just bare minimum!

There is racing..and there is "racing" Wink

Trust me...while even this level of racing while it can be hard on the stockish engine..its certainly no less hard than the 300k miles I put on my 412 daily driver when living in Dallas...and covering Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Kansas, Arkansas and parts of New Mexico. The vast majority of driving was done in sustained 70+ mph in 100+ degree heat...and not to mention hours at a time ripping around Dallas...avoiding traffic in the heat...hard cornering you name it!

When assembled properly....with all the parts....in THIS car or a 914...and not a bus....this should be cake. They are a reliable engine and do well in heat.

I would add a "tuna can" mod....and make sure it has the factory windage tray inside of it (it came in 1.7L, 1.8L from 411/412/914 and 2.0L 914).

The tuna can mode is this:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=200905

With a short extension on the oil pickup tube...along with running the very common extra 1.0L of oil...this will keep the oil pump from ingesting air on violent cornering.

As for the rest of the car....the Porsche people in gneral know absolutely nothing about these cars. There are few if any similar part and construction is very different. Suspension is totally different.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding The 411 Race Car, Help! Reply with quote

Just a side note on the oil level, the Porsche 914 uses the same 1.7 and 1.8 engine as the 411/412 but the oil level is slightly higher on the 914 probably because the 914 is likely to be more often driven i heavy corners etc.
Photo below shows the difference of the oil level marks, the 914 minimum mark is where the maximum mark is on the 411/412. (914 dipstick is the lower one).
Dipstick length and dipstick tube setup is exactely the same on the 914 as on the 411/412 coupe.

Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: