Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake fluid reservoir pipe moving out from master cylinder
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir pipe moving out from master cylinder Reply with quote

Once youngot the system all back together wash all the spilled fluid up, scrapmup the fluid soaked damaged paint also. it will hold the fluid and that fluid will become a rust promoter once exposed to air for a while. ideally repaint areas where paint has lifted, but at least wash out all the fluid and damaged paint. brake fluid lifts paint, turns paint to mush, and the fluid itseld becomes corrosive to the steel once it becomes wet with water. leave no trace of spilled fluid to prevent paint and rust damage.

also wear rubber gloves, else the fluid can be absorbed theu your skin, not good, also safety glasses, a splash or stream of pressurized fluid from the bleeding operation can cause serious eye burns. if it eats paint, think of what it can do to an eyeball. it burns like fire, I know from experience, yuck!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jessousa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir pipe moving out from master cylinder Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
ideally repaint areas where paint has lifted, but at least wash out all the fluid and damaged paint. brake fluid lifts paint, turns paint to mush, and the fluid itseld becomes corrosive to the steel once it becomes wet with water. leave no trace of spilled fluid to prevent paint and rust damage.

Do you recommend any specific type of paint?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir pipe moving out from master cylinder Reply with quote

jessousa wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
ideally repaint areas where paint has lifted, but at least wash out all the fluid and damaged paint. brake fluid lifts paint, turns paint to mush, and the fluid itseld becomes corrosive to the steel once it becomes wet with water. leave no trace of spilled fluid to prevent paint and rust damage.

Do you recommend any specific type of paint?

no commo ly available paint is truely brake fluid proof that I am aware of. for the chassis area near the reservoir, I use a brush on enamel, Rustoleum is a brand I use. aresol spray would not be my choice here as it is thin, and difficult to get full coverage with all the stuff in the way.

so consider a brush on enamel, you can get fancy with catylized enamels (two part) or urathanes but these usually cost more, but work just as well.

the key to this is wash all traces of fluid away, scrap or sand off all brake fluid damaged paint away and then defrease with a solvent to remove all oils, tar and grease. else the new paint wont stick, and brake fluid damaged paint will have brake fluid soaked into it, and thus it must be removed as that brake fluid will still be in it, and that will cause the new paint over it to fail.

if you find the the chaulkkng seal that is applied on some of the metal joints (frame head to floor piece for example) has been removed, you should rechaulk with a quality water prrof body sealer chaulking to lrevent water ingress into the seams, paint is not an acceptable chaulkng material!

good luck, keep Buggin!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jessousa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir pipe moving out from master cylinder Reply with quote

Thanks.
You have been a great help.
When I fix it all I'll let you know.
jessousa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir pipe moving out from master cylinder Reply with quote

Finally got time to repair the brakes.
The picture shows the new rubber in place and the first cleaning operation.
Thank you all for your advices and now I'll pass to the generator issues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: