Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spray Adhesive Nightmare!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
birdmanp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Previous owner stripped the Weekender interior, and covered the ENTIRE interior with speaker box carpet. Removing the carpet has been tough, but the residue is a problem. Anyone have any experience with something like this? I have tried the wife's nail polish remover, brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner, and Goo Gone. This stuff is on so thick, that none of those make a dent in them. I tried a steel wire wheel, but it removes paint along with the adhesive. I think it needs some form of gel to put on it and "soak" for several minutes, then scrape off with plastic putty knife. Can anyone recommend a product or method?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Millwright/Rigging comes natural to me. I guess I am just used to fitting big things in small places.
Clarkson Industrial Contractors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Heat gun and a plastic scraper followed by a 3M stripe eraser wheel and maybe laquer thinner.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
birdmanp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

I thought about using the stripe remover wheel, but figured the screw holes and sheet metal edges would eat it alive. I hadn't thought about the heat gun...on my way to garage now!

Millwright/Rigging comes natural to me. I guess I am just used to fitting big things in small places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Get yourself a respirator and s gallon of Xylene. I would have some fans set up from afar to move the air. Work in square foot areas at a time. Paint it on and it should eat right through it. I would use a plastic scraper. Test it in a area that doesn't matter first to see if it removes the paint. Good luck!
birdmanp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Okay, so the heat gun works to remove all the leftover fuzz, but by the time it gets hot enough to peel the glue off, a plastic scraper will melt, and a metal putty knife takes the paint off with the glue. Off to the store to get some xylene or gel Goo Gone.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

I 'think' it was acetone that removed old glue and residue for me. I've also had luck with Goof off as well. It removed the original carpet glue on my 67 that was 50 years old. I let it soak and it did take some elbow grease.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

wont the xlylene take the paint off too?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked OR- you could be the dirty rotten PO who just glued over top of the old glue- (apologies to "stock natzi" )-- some times I'd rather adjust valves- Embarassed Embarassed

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Did you try Adhesive Remover?
3M makes some. I've used it before for tape residue
It doesn't harm the paint.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQYA7W/ref=s..._i=desktop

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Acetone in a spray bottle and a rag. Lots of rags.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Most of those things will eat paint. Glue residue really sucks when you are tryin not harm paint below. Mineral spirits shouldn't hurt paint but needs time to work. Soak a rag in it and clip it up over an area to work. Plastic over that helps limit evaporation too. I had to get the old glue off the roof of my van where the mouse habitrail insulation was. Pita but I wasn't worried about the paint.
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-4-in-Wire-Wheel-Brush/3195517
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

If it's anything like the stuff on Beetle interiors you can get it off with vinegar or a steamer.

or you could try something made for removing spray adhesive:
https://www.bindingsource.com/3m-trade-adhesive-remover-6040-pale-yellow-6-25-fl-oz.html
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

MEK will take it off but the smell will gag you.
There really isn't no easy way to get it off from my experience.
I ended up wire wheeling and sanding the whole inside and painting.

Defiantly be easiest to cover what you can back up with something and just focus on removing the rest.

If I had to do it over again, I would strip the bus of anything that would come out/off and have someone wet blast the paint and glue off. The glass sand makes a mess though.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Without knowing the glue you will need to try acetone, MEK, and thinner , xylene on a small area and see what dissolves it. All of those chemicals are different polarity and soften a different class of adhesives.

What they do all share is the need for lots of fresh air ventilation and outdoor air movement. All of the chemicals are nasty
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:

https://www.bindingsource.com/3m-trade-adhesive-remover-6040-pale-yellow-6-25-fl-oz.html

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
If it's anything like the stuff on Beetle interiors you can get it off with vinegar or a steamer.

Most likely this.
You can use anything made specifically for removing adhesive... I'm sure there are other chemicals that you can buy at home depot that would work.

Of course if you go this route wear a mask, open all the windows and use a fan(s) to ventilate while you're working. Also try not to smoke or have any open flames near the bus. Rolling Eyes

You're going to fuck up the paint regardless of whether you scrape or use chemicals. Just cover it back up with proper panels and flooring, maybe even repaint it.
TomC Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Have you tried plain old gasoline? I was in the same situation as you and I was getting pretty frustrated with Goo Gone, etc. not touching the adhesive, when my son tried some gas on a spot and to my surprise it worked like a charm! It softened the adhesive and didn't harm the paint.

Of course, your mileage may vary according to the chemistry of the adhesive. Try as many solvents as you can, but start in a hidden spot that's easy to repair.

Before:

After:

TomC

77 Westy Deluxe - sort of
72 Super Convertible
birdmanp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

WOW! Will definitely have to try this one! I can't imagine the wife will be excited if it works (gasoline odor gives her headaches). Did you use anything to neutralize the smell after removing the adhesive? Or was it just father time and good ventilation?

TomC wrote:
Have you tried plain old gasoline? I was in the same situation as you and I was getting pretty frustrated with Goo Gone, etc. not touching the adhesive, when my son tried some gas on a spot and to my surprise it worked like a charm! It softened the adhesive and didn't harm the paint.

Of course, your mileage may vary according to the chemistry of the adhesive. Try as many solvents as you can, but start in a hidden spot that's easy to repair.

Before:

After:

TomC

77 Westy Deluxe - sort of
72 Super Convertible

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Gasoline is mostly aliphatic hydrocarbons so COLEMAN fuel or white gas will give the same solvent effect without the stink of gas. Pet ether would be even better but I don't think you can buy that in hardware stores because you can make bad things with that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: