Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spray Adhesive Nightmare!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
birdmanp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

GOOD NEWS - Gasoline definitely works! I spot treated a place on one of the rear wheel wells, and with a little elbow grease, a shop rag, and a splash of fresh gas, the glue came off. I am thinking a spray bottle and a nylon brush will be my friend on the areas I am wanting to remove the glue. What is covered or will be covered I will leave alone.

Millwright/Rigging comes natural to me. I guess I am just used to fitting big things in small places.
Clarkson Industrial Contractors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

gas in a spray bottle ? umm maybe a squirt bottle.. but in spray bottle it becomes instant flash bomb if any ANY ignition source is near.. Glad ya got it figured out ...
TomC Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Excellent news! My technique was to pour gas on a paper towel and wash an area with it. Then go back and scrub. The adhesive will be soft by the time you get scrubbing. Lots of paper towels. Your fingers end up very sticky with adhesive.

I found that with the bus fully open on a nice warm day, all of the smell was gone in a few hours.

Naturally, be very very careful with flames and sparks while you're working. Perhaps disconnecting the battery would be prudent.

Good luck, and post the results!

77 Westy
72 Beetle Convertible
olo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Spray Carburettor cleaner
, wait a minute to soften the glue, apply heavy duty dishwashing liquid over (eg Jif in oz) and scrub with harsh dish sponge
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

GUMOUT carb cleaner works wonders, but id be careful of paint that you don't want thinned in the process.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

This is the best I could find on working with gasoline. The fumes are heavier than air so if you can't smell them that doesn't mean anything, especially with how noses adapt to smell. I would be inclined to try using kerosene or diesel to see if it works before gasoline - and leave it open in the hot sun for a week or more when you are done. Maybe hose down with soap and water if you want it before then. One stupid move and being burned isn't worth the time it saves. We have one member here who was very badly burned and thrown quite a distance in an explosion from solvent fumes on a job site by an error in someone else's judgement. We don't need another or a funeral. Frankly, and not meaning any disrespect but the arrogance of many people and indifference to following safety rules is killing the rest of us - physically and financially.

Quote:
One gallon of gasoline can vaporize and fill a 250-gallon fuel tank with explosive vapor; that single gallon of gasoline has the explosive energy of 83 sticks of dynamite.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

How about this?

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

spray inside of bus with gas. let soak. ball up rags and drop match. glue will burn off. problem solved

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Nitrile gioves will keep the nasties out of your bloodstream when working with gas, viton is even better but $$$

Work in small areas with small amounts of gas at a time, less than 100 mL

No smoking, sparks, flames or electrical stuff going on nearby.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray Adhesive Nightmare! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Nitrile gioves will keep the nasties out of your bloodstream when working with gas, viton is even better but $$$

Work in small areas with small amounts of gas at a time, less than 100 mL

No smoking, sparks, flames or electrical stuff going on nearby.

Oh, come ON!!
Where's the drama in that?

We love drama on this forum!

Back in the old days people used gas all the time, and it even had *gasp* Lead in it!! Shocked

And they didn't even use gloves!! Shocked Shocked

Rolling Eyes

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: