Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Discouraged New Bus Owner
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

Quote:
spent about six months paying to get it in working order from a local mechanic.

For six months time and who knows how much money, your mechanic didn't sort it out?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

These keep the spark plug socket from falling off.
QUICK RELEASE EXTENSION
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-38-in-drive-quick-release-extension-bar-set-67976.html
https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-3-pc-quick-release-extension-bar-set-3-8-in-dr
VW.parrothead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

Welcome! I sent you a PM. Smile
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

Lots of good Colorado VW folk, we even have our own thread. PM if you need service help..
Oilspot11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Here are several pictures of my 1977 engine compartment. A picture is worth a 1,000 words...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8578576#8578576

So true. Elbows, wrists, whatever knock stuff off when doing various tasks.
Take some pictures before working. Remove various parts in a controlled fashion that make your access easier. Then you can refer to the pics when replacing.
WendyArmbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

I will say that getting all of the hoses hooked up correctly is vitally important. In my ignorance when I first owned my bus the hoses were hooked up wrong or just left disconnected, and I had many major problems because of it. Even just recently I got my charcoal canister working properly, and it solved more issues. Perfect hoses are important. Even now I think my brake booster is leaking, and that's an engine hose too.

You said, "We are so frustrated, we've barely been able to enjoy this beautiful machine." I would like to point out that picking a socket out of the engine tin IS enjoying your bus. That's what owning a bus is. Over the long term I would say I spend 15 minutes of maintenance for every hour I spend driving. Right now my bus is running strong and reliable, but there is some rust work on the horizon, and I need to go through my windshield wiper system. My turn signal lever doesn't reset when I straighten the wheel. I want to install retractable seat belts. The passenger window crank just broke the other day. By the time I get these things fixed, there will be an entirely new list. It never goes away, and you have to be ok with that.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

WendyArmbuster wrote:

You said, "We are so frustrated, we've barely been able to enjoy this beautiful machine." I would like to point out that picking a socket out of the engine tin IS enjoying your bus. That's what owning a bus is. Over the long term I would say I spend 15 minutes of maintenance for every hour I spend driving. Right now my bus is running strong and reliable, but there is some rust work on the horizon, and I need to go through my windshield wiper system. My turn signal lever doesn't reset when I straighten the wheel. I want to install retractable seat belts. The passenger window crank just broke the other day. By the time I get these things fixed, there will be an entirely new list. It never goes away, and you have to be ok with that.

Yup, completely agree. Embrace it, because that's what owning a 40 year old vehicle means..
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

Don't get discouraged and just tackle one job at a time. You'll gradually build up your knowledge base subsystem by subsystem. When you're done your current hose issue you'll know just enough about the emissions subsystem to at least know what the major parts of it are next time you dive into the engine bay. Don't expect to understand it all at once.

FWIW, I purchased my bus two years ago an at the time would have had trouble pointing out the carb from the transmission. Today I did my first full engine removal.

The hardest thing at first for complete newcomers to vehicle repair can be the terminology. You'll get a helpful answer on the samba but that results in looking up more terms and soon you're down a rathole.

A few tips for navigating the terminology:

- Bookmark the major diagrams in the Bentley guide and so you can scan the list of items for terms
- Get catalogs from the major parts vendors, their diagrams can also be useful
- Search google for the term using "site:thesamba.com searchterm bus" and then click on the images tab
- That bag of links Tcash posts to welcome newcomers? They are gold. Notice they are stickied at the top of this forum. Use 'em.
- Post to the also stickied Stupid Questions thread. It is great for quick answers on stuff.
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

I understand your pain although I do not own a bus, I have a 74 SB bug. I had 2 choices when I was searching local for a bug, I bought the one I could drive home. I should of bought the one I needed to have towed home. It had new pans installed but had the rest of the parts were in the inside of the bug. It would of taken less time to put all the parts back on then the one I drove home for the same price. The one I bought had mass electrical problems the brakes barely stopped the car form 20 MPH. no lights worked , the wiring harness was hacked bad. Then when I went to replace the engine compartment seals found out the rear clip had been hit and was tweaked which means i have to cut off and replace the entire read clip. It sat in my driveway for over 6 months before I could drive it everyday. i have still not done the need body and rust repair yet but I can drive it to work all week.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

Picking the right spark plug socket is critical, get one that is magnetic.
Also get a telescopic magnet, for when things get lost in the sparkplug tin holes.
Buying those saves your sanity. You will now laugh when stuff 'disappears',
might even find an old plug or two that you didn't drop in there.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
Picking the right spark plug socket is critical, get one that is magnetic.
Also get a telescopic magnet, for when things get lost in the sparkplug tin holes.
Buying those saves your sanity.

ALSO- duct tape the socket to the extension- and squirt silicone on/in the plug socket. No more fun can be had than having the socket stick to the plug when you withdraw the extension.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rider_Surfboards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of air-cooled VWs! My advice--stick with it and learn to laugh at the setbacks. After all, if you're not having fun with it, then why do it at all, right?

I came into this two and a half years ago knowing next to nothing. Now I can drive 1K mile round trips with the confidence of knowing I can fix most of the things that could go wrong on the road. Between myself and my two friends who have buses, I've dropped an engine at least 8 times, replaced transmissions, adjusted torsion bars, brakes, electrical, configured carburetors, disassembled and adjusted distributors, and tonnns of other fun stuff. You need to be willing to get your hands dirty and make mistakes. Before you know it, you'll go from simply changing your oil to replacing your main seal--hopefully not anytime soon though Laughing

I'll always offer support and of course pitch in with advice when I can, as most people here will as well.

Have fun!

--Kevin
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

Silicone lube, not the sticky sealer type.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

Wherein CO are you?

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

stwesty wrote:

FWIW, I purchased my bus two years ago an at the time would have had trouble pointing out the carb from the transmission. Today I did my first full engine removal.

Well done!!
vic74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Discouraged New Bus Owner Reply with quote

This spark plug socket works great for me: https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80547-16-Inch-6-Inch-Swivel/dp/B0014ZXU84

It's magnetic, swivels and the socket doesn't come off the extension. I haven't dropped a spark plug under the tin since I got this puppy! My bus is a 74 and doesn't have fuel injection so it may be a slightly different scenario but I expect it would work pretty well for you too! EDIT: even cheaper on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GearWrench-80547-13-16-x-6...SwlndZLFaR
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: