Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front shocks to short
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAWRIGHT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

I have a 73 Standard. I replaced front beam with a narrowed and adjustable front beam from cb performance. Front shocks part number 113-413-031 EUS
from West Coast Metric are to short. From lower shock mount to the bottom of upper mount of beam is 18". Shock fully extended is 16 3/4". Any suggestions?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

Is your 18” measurement taken with the car on a jack/stands or with the wheels on the ground under the weight of the car (street height)?

With the wheels off the ground the shocks COULD be the shortest component and so could be fully extended.
With the front suspension compressed under its own weight (street height) the shock should be able to move up/down within the normal range of motion needed for the suspension as it is driving down the road. At street height the shock should be close to the center of its range of travel to allow the suspension to compress/expand.

Normally after installing an adjustable front suspension and lowing the front end you run into the situation where the shock is compressed to nearly its limit when the car is at rest. When you hit a bump and the suspension compresses further the shock bottoms out and you get a broken shock and/or a very bumpy/stiff ride. Have you lowered your front using the adjusters or do you have the front at the stock height? Or have you extended your front suspension to ride higher off the ground. THAT could explain what you have described.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

Using the standard front shock absorber (113 413 031) you would also need the shock mounting unit (part no. 131 498 441) which the piston rod of the shock absorber screws into. Aftermarket units such as those made by Koni and Bilstein (and probably others) don't need this mounting unit as they are longer and have the top mounting point of the shock absorber built into the shock absorber unit. The original style mounting unit adds about 50mm (2 inches) to the effective overall length of the standard shock absorber.
If you had aftermarket shock absorbers previously not requiring the top mounting units (and are currently missing) then your standard shock absorbers would appear not be long enough.
BAWRIGHT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

I have the body off the frame right now. Wheels are on the ground.I weigh 250 lbs . If I stand on the front beam shocks are still to short. What should be the standard height using stock wheels between the ground and the bottom of the frame?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

Just a comment - I installed shocks on a car supplied by Airkewld. I ran into the same thing and called them. The compressed length was of more concern and that this was normal...BUT the point of the upper mounting bushing/stop kit is very valid for stock application But how is the beam adjusted now? Stock height or lowered?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

add half the weight of body,weight of 1 seat,carpet, fuel tank with fuel, front bumper,headlights,1 door,2 fenders, raido,half the wiring harness,half the glass and half your weight and that should be close. if the beam is adjustable adjust it down.no the other down Shocked ...you can also mesure the ride hight and where you want it then do the math to see if the shock is right or not. Shocked Wink most cars are not set in the middle of the travel. like..if you have a 10" stroke there is usualy a 4" up and 6 inch drop from ride hight.or something like that. I had a 2002 montero that had about 8" up and14 drop Shocked , no wonder why those won dakaro rally somany times and were /are so popular there., you better have one heck of a jack to jack it up.
BAWRIGHT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

I have the beam adjusted for max height. I assume that is where it should be since the beam is supposed to be adjustable for lowering. I put 2 1/2 drop spindles on veh but that should not matter.
BAWRIGHT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

I would like to find a shock that is about 1 1/2" longer than stock
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

Just get these - will take car of your issue....https://www.partsgeek.com/3v1655p-volkswagen-beetl...unting+Kit
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

I would wait until you have your car (mostly) assembled before you decide that you need a longer shock. It would be terrible to find that once all the parts are in place their weight brings the front down to a height that those WCM shocks are good for.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
BAWRIGHT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front shocks to short Reply with quote

Looking at the car from the side. Should the lower arm be parallel to the pan or should the end not attached to the beam be higher or lower than the pan?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: