Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exterior Door Handles 1967
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronfay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Exterior Door Handles 1967 Reply with quote

I have a 1967 Beetle that is in pretty good (daily driver) shape. However, I have an exterior driver's door handle (only one that has an external keyhole) that is difficult to unlock. A PO obviously had some difficulties as well, as it appears that someone tried to force the lock with a screwdriver or similar once, leaving the keyhole distorted.

Knowing from here how rare 67 door handles are, I'm considering rebuilding the door latch, if such a thing is possible. Question for here is: while the door latches changed over the years, is the interior workings the same for some years in common with 1967? I was thinking of buying a more common door handle and then using its mechanism to rebuild my 1967 door handle.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Door Handles 1967 Reply with quote

67 door handles are not rare, and only a small percentage of people who own 67's would be looking for them.
You can often find matched pairs here in the classifieds and they're at nearly every swap meet I've ever been too. Not perfect but they are out there.

They are unique and a big part of what makes your car unique, and nothing out there to make them any better.
You can buy new latches that can be modified to work in your doors with these handles.

If only your button(s) are damaged, pick up a distressed pair with good keys and buttons and rebuild your handles.
If you're real handy you might even be able to re-key them all to match, otherwise there are Samba vendors who can do that for you.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
ronfay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Door Handles 1967 Reply with quote

Great, thank you for the response.

So, question answered: guts aren't the same, so a re-build of my handle will require another 1967 handle. Now I know what I need to do.

Thanks again.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Door Handles 1967 Reply with quote

ronfay,

Taking the lock mechanism apart is not difficult. Just be aware that not all 67 handles are the same, they changed the internals slightly at some point, they look identical from the outside but the guts are not directly interchangeable.

I just went through this on mine, you can make it work but you have to disassemble both handles and piecemeal them back together.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Door Handles 1967 Reply with quote

jimdubs, may you have mistaken late '66 door handles with push buttons as 67's?
Late 66 look the same from the outside, but were made by Huf with totally different molds and mechanisms. 66 also has the single profile key sets like SC, SV, or SU.

Pic is from Bruce's Gallery. Third from left is '66 Huf where the lock paddles face backwards, and fourth from left is '67 AKS where it faces forward.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As far as I know, all 67 door handles that were made by AKS are mechanically identical with interchangeable parts. They will have dual profile keys and a code beginning with a capital K.

jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Door Handles 1967 Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure these are 67s, at least by the standard that you are providing.

They have forward facing fingers, K code, but the "pedestal" that holds the button in is shaped differently at the base and is not interchangeable between handles.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Door Handles 1967 Reply with quote

jimdubs, can you post some pictures? They would be interesting to see and serve as a good reference for this topic.

VW did have orders for about 2 million door handles in 67, so no doubt there are multiple variations and more than one supplier/vendor.

Tried a search of the classifieds for 67 Door handles and found them readily available from salvageable parts candidates to a fully matched set "turn key" ( Laughing ).
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...or+handles

One oddball stands out from that crop of pictured ads, the plain cast one without stainless steel covering. Never seen a 67 w/o stainless wrapped handles.
Ad may not last long, but was not able to copy the pic...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1910850#

jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Door Handles 1967 Reply with quote

Note the narrower base where the screw goes through on the left handle, as well as the different shape near the finger.

In this pic you can see the different shape of the button unit (square eared vs round)

The pedestals and buttons must stay matched (i.e. the narrow base pedestal will not work with the round top button and vice versa)
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Door Handles 1967 Reply with quote

Great pictures.

We can just make out the AKS logo on the left handle, which is what I've seen the most of.

If you clean up the handle to the right you can probably find the maker's logo on it too.
I'll hazard a guess and say it's a Huf?

For sure if a person were to piece together one handle from two they will want to find two handles from the same maker to help ensure interchangability of parts.

jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Door Handles 1967 Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
I'll hazard a guess and say it's a Huf?

You would be right

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: