Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting to RHD, what am I forgetting?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain ASIC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Converting to RHD, what am I forgetting? Reply with quote

Hey all, I want to convert my baja to RHD, and I'm curious if there are any other gotchas I am missing here, or maybe even a site for buying the parts to convert. I know that the pedal assembly needs to move, and thats all cables and bolts, so relatively easy. the steering wheel is usually a PITA, but with no power steering, should be easy, i just need to find a RHD steering rack. I am going to run the EMPI aluminum dash, so moving gauges isn't a concern since I will be starting with a black sheet of aluminum.

Any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated!
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Converting to RHD, what am I forgetting? Reply with quote

Post pictures ! My neighbor has a right hand drive jeep and I’ve always wanted to drive it, she drives around with her dog in the passenger seat, looks like the dog is driving lol
You might need custom tie rods , or maybe just switch left from right , I know it’s a very involved conversion, not just wham, bam, thank you ma’am
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Converting to RHD, what am I forgetting? Reply with quote

Also, I don’t think you’ll be able to just move the pedal cluster , I think you need an assembly from somewhere that drives on the left side of the road.
Also master cylinder relocation, hopefully won’t interfere with the gas tank,
Captain ASIC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting to RHD, what am I forgetting? Reply with quote

aftermarket pedals and gas tank, new master cylinder with be attached to the pedals, so that problem should be solved. the tie rods and steering rack seem to be teh common issue in all the posts ive found.
Captain ASIC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting to RHD, what am I forgetting? Reply with quote

so, from what i have found, the steering box from the US and the UK are the same, but the pitman arms are different. I'm wondering if i can just swap the tie rods, from left to right, right to left also, since in theory, its the same distance for RHD. does anyone know of a US based site for UK parts? I'd like to avoid the UK ebay if i can. Pedals are done, not installed yet, but research complete. now its just getting the steering column moved.
BigElipso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Converting to RHD, what am I forgetting? Reply with quote

When I did mine (after many failures) I ended up moving the steering box towards the center of the car and using universal joints on the steering shaft. I also turned the pitman arm upside down. My inner tie rod ends are upside down as well. Don't change the length of the tie rods. Move the steering box until the tie rods work. Look in the Jeff Hibbard book for a section about using a stock steering box for center steer. While his method won't get you RHD, it will help you understand the geometry involved.
Captain ASIC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Converting to RHD, what am I forgetting? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to get in touch with my AU friends to see if they can get a donor vehicle for parts. it looks like the steering box is identical though from pictures. I also would like to get my hands on the factory turn and wiper handles, but will use universals if i have to. (turn switch on the right, wipers on the left).

If I read that correct, I need only 5 items.
1. RHD pitman arm
2. RHD Left inner tie rod
3. RHD Right inner tie rod
4. RHD Turn signal switch
5. RHD Wiper switch
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: