Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ex german military thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: ex german military thing Reply with quote

I have never owned a thing before and I came across one local for sale. I was told it is a ex german military thing. It has the bush guards on front bumper, military switch for lights, small oval tail lights, KM speedo 1 seat still has green leather material, 1600 Dp engine, has been painted yellow but under hood its olive green, no covers over rear air vents, and rear bumper has a holes in center that almost looks like a crank start hole. It has rust in rockers/channel area, pans seem decent, rust on drivers door and passengers fender on top, and other areas like where fender meets body. It runs and drives great and is road ready. I can get it for about $6000 CDN. Wondering if this is a decent price considering rust issues? Does being an ex military thing, does it add any value? Sorry no pics. Is there anything else I should be looking for on it?
57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ex german military thing Reply with quote

Read the sticky here on "What to look for when buying a Thing." Check the vin# and find out what year it is (3rd. number). This will determine what rear end you should have (or you could just look). Probably also has a NATO# by the vin plate under the bonnet. The early years 69-71 are probably worth more. In general, the military ones are too to some people. I think the price is very reasonable for a good winter project. A little work and you should make money in the spring if you want to sell it. Good luck Very Happy
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ex german military thing Reply with quote

Ok thank you. Are that's like a beetle and you can easily remove body from pan?
88 cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: ex german military thing Reply with quote

Yes, same as beetle, body removes from pan easily. by the way, all the rear bumpers had the crank hole.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ex german military thing Reply with quote

Ok thanks. Looking at some pics of others I never seen that hole in the bumper
88 cabriolet
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ex german military thing Reply with quote

is it like this one? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/tl/1546642.jpg

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ex german military thing Reply with quote

They all have the hole in the bumper if it is an original bumper. It is indeed for a crank handle. It mates up to a specific nut on the pulley to hand start the engine. Not a civilian accessory as far as I know, just a military thing. Probably just cheaper to use the same bumper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: