Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New cold start valve for sale?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerrys76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find a new or refurbished cold start valve? Mine is clogged up and not spraying. I've checked the usual retailers (bus depot, german supply, go westy, etc) and no luck...

Thanks!

1976 Bus FI
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

Pretty sure I have one
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

Jerrys76 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a new or refurbished cold start valve? Mine is clogged up and not spraying. I've checked the usual retailers (bus depot, german supply, go westy, etc) and no luck...

Thanks!

1976 Bus FI

You can try soaking it in FI cleaner.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

You know.....not to highjack this thread.....but here and there we have been discussing the issues we have with this valves.

Granted I mostly work on D-jet.....and out valve is slightly better in some ways and just as bad....and just as hard to find.

The D-jet inje tor can fit the bus engine with very little work but has a different plug. If you are just looking for function and not exact replacement you can use one. I have used a bus unit in D-jet.

The D-jet #s are: 022 906 171 A or 311 906 171 B.

The Bosch 0 280 170 019 is a D-jet style with a dead end fitting is used in some Volvo and BMW but is functionally the same.

All of that said....down the line when none of these are available.....virtually any engine fuel injector of the right flow rating can be used. There are so many brands and sizes....a small injector with a mounting bracket and tip seal could be fabbed up. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AJPinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

You can also look to send out for ultra sonic cleaning. I sent mine out along with a set of injectors to Rich at Cruzin Performance. He was able to improve the cold start injector from a dribble to a solid spray pattern. Right around a $100 for 4 injectors and the CSV with a quick turn time. Notable improvement for sure...
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

Referencing the post Ray referred to I believe the rabbit valve with the longer nozzle will work as a direct replacement. Just make sure the EGR octopus of piping isn't in your way internally.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

issue to note in using a different CSV is that the bus is a "flow thru" meaning a fuel inlet and outlet that goes onto the other fuel rail. Using another valve means T-ing off from the fuel line to that valve. No big deal.
Also, Bus Depot has them listed with a $95 core charge, they are listed as rebuilt, is OP saying they checked and BD has none to send out? On a related note does anyone know who BD uses to "rebuild" these CSVs, as I'm sure you could save a bundle circumventing them in the process. In my other research I came to the same conclusion as another poster to just send it to a rebuilder to have them cleaned and tested.
This is all fresh in my mind as I recently noticed mine leaking and started searching for these. Some tips:
1- search classifieds for FI stuff in general, often you will see a plenum for sale by itself or in a lot for cheap money, considering BD wants $95 in core charge buying a plenum for $30 just to get the CSV isn't a bad deal.
2- WHEN these were still available there were a few part numbers that will show up in an inventory system, used by the big company reboxers. They are as follows:
Bosch: 0280170026
Standard Motor Products: CJ8 (have fun sorting through the Jeep hits you get)
Beck Arnley: 158-0086

---note that these will all (or should) be actual Bosch parts, just reboxed. I found ONE CJ8 on Amazon Canada but can't figure out how to get it sent to America, won't let you enter the US address. At any rate they want like $200 for it.
So if you have contacts with some small scale parts houses, search all the numbers and you might come across something. I tried for about a week on the internet, searching parts sites in many countries, it truly is a no-go at this point sourcing new ones.

Happy hunting.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

The D-jet inje tor can fit the bus engine with very little work but has a different plug. If you are just looking for function and not exact replacement you can use one. I have used a bus unit in D-jet.

The D-jet #s are: 022 906 171 A or 311 906 171 B.

The Bosch 0 280 170 019 is a D-jet style with a dead end fitting is used in some Volvo and BMW but is functionally the same.

All of that said....down the line when none of these are available.....virtually any engine fuel injector of the right flow rating can be used. There are so many brands and sizes....a small injector with a mounting bracket and tip seal could be fabbed up. Ray

This is a good point, and something I had been looking for a while ago. For reference, the data for the cold start valve:

• Bosch part #: 0280170026
• Flow rate: 85 cm3/min
• Spray angle: 80°

However, some of the challenges in finding a replacement injector are:

1. The length of the injector is limited by the very tight space between plenum and distributor. Quite a lot of the CSVs still out there are slightly longer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. It needs to be an injector that can be driven directly from 12 V (i.e. no series resistor, not pulsed width modulation) for at least a few seconds.

3. The bus' cold start valve is fairly unique in the sense that it has an inlet and an outlet, as it's positioned in the middle of the fuel ring.

There were some attempts in the past to fit a replacement cold start valve from a Rabbit a while ago, using banjo fittings. However, IIRC, they were unfortunately not successful. You can have a look at the last pages of the thread to find out more, it is quite an interesting read.

I think the best option when either a NOS or used one is not available is to use one of the D-Jetronic ones:

• 022 906 171 A (Bosch 0 280 170 017 or 0 280 170 018): Note - just one fuel inlet, D-Jetronic connector. same flow rate and spray angle as the bus' cold start valve. It was used in the Type 4, as far as I can tell.
• 311 906 171 B (Bosch 0 280 170 015): Note - just one fuel inlet, D-Jetronic connector. Couldn't find the flow rate, but I would guess it's similar as for the bus. It was used in the Type 3, as far as I can tell.
• Bosch 0 280 170 019: Note - just one fuel inlet, D-Jetronic connector. Also note, at 150 cm3/min, the flow rate nearly doubles that of a bus' cold start valve. It was used in the Volvo "P 164", according to the Bosch datasheet.
• Bosch 0 280 170 021: (not sure of D-Jetronic or L-Jetronic connector) note, at 165 cm3/min, the flow rate nearly doubles that of a bus' cold start valve. It was used in the Mercedes "250 CE", according to the Bosch datasheet.

What I would do if I were to pick up a D-Jetronic one would be to build a small adapter with a D-Jetronic connector on the end that plugs to the cold start valve and a male L-Jetronic connector on the other end. This way the existing wiring harness would not require any modifications, and you could always switch back to an L-Jetronic cold start valve should you find one at some point.

But yes, all this as an alternative option. As others have said, you can try to get your CSV refreshed by a reputable shop first.

Decode your M-Plate
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

• Bosch 0 280 170 019: Note - just one fuel inlet, D-Jetronic connector. Also note, at 150 cm3/min, the flow rate nearly doubles that of a bus' cold start valve. It was used in the Volvo "P 164", according to the Bosch datasheet.
• Bosch 0 280 170 021: (not sure of D-Jetronic or L-Jetronic connector) note, at 165 cm3/min, the flow rate nearly doubles that of a bus' cold start valve. It was used in the Mercedes "250 CE", according to the Bosch datasheet.

Presumably the flow rate increase is due to those both being six-cylinder engines. I had a Volvo 164 for a little while, neat car.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

Do not get hung up in flow rates .The CSV is a crude device. Its just extra fuel. While having too much could be a problem...as long as its not huge and you are spraying for only a few seconds...its not an issue. Having a little too little would not be an issue either.

Other valves to check...were those from almost any fuel injected Datsun like the 280Z and the Nissan 280ZX.

Ray
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

any one look into the saab 900 CSV? believe it had the same design, but dimensions could be off.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
any one look into the saab 900 CSV? believe it had the same design, but dimensions could be off.

I can check this weekend. Its very similar to L-jet if memory serves. I have a new one somewhere. I used to have a 900.

A lot of the CIS cars used similar valves. Ray
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

Are the L-jet bug CSVs compatible?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Take this with a pinch of salt, as I don't know much about Beetles. In any case, I believe that'd be this CSV:

- Bosch 0280 170 029 or 0280 170 031
- Flow rate: 93 cm/min
- Spray angle: 80°
- L-Jetronic connector
- Body length same as the bus' CSV

That looks good, however... it has only one fuel inlet instead of the two in/out ones in the bus's CSV.

Decode your M-Plate
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Take this with a pinch of salt, as I don't know much about Beetles. In any case, I believe that'd be this CSV:

- Bosch 0280 170 029 or 0280 170 031
- Flow rate: 93 cm/min
- Spray angle: 80°
- L-Jetronic connector
- Body length same as the bus' CSV

That looks good, however... it has only one fuel inlet instead of the two in/out ones in the bus's CSV.

i feel like the Bus is the ONLY car that uses that inlet-outlet arrangement. Everything I have looked at as a possibility is the one inlet. So, ok, we can put a T in the fuel line that goes to the CSV so long as it has a connector that will work with the stock harness. I guess the issue besides that is clearance of the distributor?

Wish Bosch would just rattle off another thousand of these. The way the Subaru swaps are going that's likely enough for the rest of time! Laughing

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

Just take the csv and your injectors to your local diesel injection service center and have them cleaned. Should be about $100. They mostly work on highway truck/pickup diesel injectors but were quite happy to do mine. You get a flow report back as well.

I had mine done over 6 years ago and no issues since. Good fuel, ethanol free for the most part, clean tank and regular filter changes = no problems.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

NOS ones are rare these days, and used ones can break too. I have nos one but it hasn't been listed for sale and when/if it is, it won't be cheap. They went NLA about 7 or 8 years ago and the off brand boxed ones have disappeared too. The solution I would go with if you need a new one is to use one that has a single inlet like shown, then run a hose to a metal tee, then run off that. It might even be safer because the plastic gets brittle on used ones and sometimes breaks at the top of the CSV burning the bus down.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
NOS ones are rare these days, and used ones can break too. I have nos one but it hasn't been listed for sale and when/if it is, it won't be cheap. They went NLA about 7 or 8 years ago and the off brand boxed ones have disappeared too. The solution I would go with if you need a new one is to use one that has a single inlet like shown, then run a hose to a metal tee, then run off that. It might even be safer because the plastic gets brittle on used ones and sometimes breaks at the top of the CSV burning the bus down.

A few years back I had found a site that stocked virtually every type of Banjo and related fitting. They had banjo connection tees....banjos with inlet and double exit (exit wye)....and even banjo bolts with barbs. They also had straight male and female threaded Tees and wyes. I will have to look for that. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

The Standard Motor Products CJ8 cold start valve was a reboxed Bosch unit and they seemed to have been the last around as old auto parts stores closed in the 2008 recession. Even back then a new one was $75 to $100. The CJ78 valve visually looks close so it might work with a tee but I don't know. That said they are $240 - $250 each. ALl I can say is wanna play gotta pay. These buses aren't cheap anymore. Finding a used one and having it cleaned will work but test the plastic barbs first because if they snap off from age then up goes your bus.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: New cold start valve for sale? Reply with quote

All your CSV dreams and nightmares were discussed in my fire thread....

About page 4 is where it take a lengthy creative turn, unfortunately no conclusive solution was reached for an alternative.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: