Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankshaft shims
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
914fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Crankshaft shims Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if the type 2 flywheel shims are the same inside and outside diameter as the type 4 crank shims. I need shims for my type 4 motor and i have been told the type two are the same. Mine measure 58.88 mm inside and 2.319 outside.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft shims Reply with quote

914fun wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the type 2 flywheel shims are the same inside and outside diameter as the type 4 crank shims. I need shims for my type 4 motor and i have been told the type two are the same. Mine measure 58.88 mm inside and 2.319 outside.

This is where you get hung up in the type 2/type 4 terminology issues.

Yes....you can use type 2 shims....as long as they are from a type 4 engine.....which came in TYPE 2 VEHICLES from 1972 and inward in the US market. If you have a 1971 or earlier type 2.....no....you cannot use the shims from it because it uses a type 1 based engine.

A quick measurement from one of mine shows 58.8mm ID and 75.5mm OD (2.97")

The 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0 engines from bus, 411/412, Porsche 914 and some if not all vanagons are the same. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
914fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft shims Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply. Thats what i needed to know. I ordered the parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: