Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggerdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

I bought a 66 bug. chopped. dirty. crusty. etc in the spring and im turning it into a offroad volksrod of sorts. its not gonna be mint. but im hoping for crazy and functional.

I have a plan for it.

Offroad Rear Tires
ford 2.8 v6 conversion
no front fenders
6" LED headlights
custom rear box (possibly wood)
rear mount rad
new brakes all round
new master cylinder
ford focus cloth bucket seats
and I have a crazy military them paint job I want to do with dark grey and a shark mouth

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

This should be good . Go for it Popcorn
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

oooh that's a good list of stuff to do on this car. Can't wait to see it

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

looks fun!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggerdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

Thank you!
the project has been a LOT of fun so far. Im not sure how long the stock transaxle will last but alas, there is more to come!

I got a kennedy engineered products adaptor to hook up the 60 degree ford 2.8 from the 1972 ford capri I got from my uncle (he blueprinted, balanced, rebuilt it all numerous years ago and then the car was written off so he had it sitting on his bench for a few years)

new parts installed including new rear transaxle mounts, transaxle brace kit, removed some unnecessary brackets and got the adaptor, flywheel etc all connected.

and yes, I am aware my workspace is super cluttered. hoping to complete my shed so I can get rid of some of my junk from the garage.

sitting in front of my 68!

the sweet little motor with the adaptor installed.

misc removal of useless brackets etc

the KEP flywheel and adaptor kit, all went in smoothly!

ready for brand new shiny transaxle mounts

prepped for insertion =D =D
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

I see the sky in the future... or through the windshield!

Not sure how much power that 2.8 will put to the ground, but my 165 hp Subaru powered 4 seater buggy with 3x3 arms feels light in the front end when we're cruising over hills in the field and whoops at speed. I can't imagine how wheelie happy this thing's gonna be with any more than - say, 50 hp! Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggerdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

The motor had about 160 hp stock.... it is warmed over so im going to guess 180 or so at the crank.

im hoping for wheelies! =D =D Laughing

not sure if you guys watch roadkill....but im shooting for stubby bob style...although maybe not that aggressive

i cant decide whether to leave the front fenders on or take them off. thoughts?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

The crunching sound from the stock swingaxle gearbox will come long before wheelies.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
buggerdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

As much as I would love to fork out thousands of dollars for expensive race transmissions I am working on a tight budget for this. Worst case scenario it blows, other scenario, I pull a massive wheelie and prove you wrong!

As I always say, Haters Gon Hate

Im in the process of rebuilding the brakes currently. what fun ARRRRGH
buggerdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

nothing like some cheesy paint.net renders to encourage you to finish a project!

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
The crunching sound from the stock swingaxle gearbox will come long before wheelies.

How much horsepower are stock swingaxle transmissions rated for ? Wasn't it mated to an engine with about 50 hp originally ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

40hp actually...not counting the drag from the generator, fan, etc. 1200 whole ccs and a 28mm carb. And the stated plan here is to put, what?...4 times that much through it

So ya think I'm hatin'? Fine....It's your Bug. Go blow up the trans as you like. If warning you from my own experience qualifies as "hating". Be that way Evil or Very Mad
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

Keep going, I have always wanted a Trug or a Shorty. You have the engine and the adapter, almost there.

Suh-weet!
buggerdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Keep going, I have always wanted a Trug or a Shorty. You have the engine and the adapter, almost there.

Suh-weet!

Thank you for the support! Im trying to build this thing for less than $2000 (tight budget) using parts I have sitting around including some tires that came with a pickup I used to have, and miscellaneous goodies, started preliminary bodywork too.

Motor is in, and It fires and runs well

you can see my turd of a parts super beetle tucked in behind too.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

Pics don't do it justice (well maybe they do) but we need a video of that warmed over V6 with the long tubes!

buggerdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown Trug Offroad Volksrod project Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
Pics don't do it justice (well maybe they do) but we need a video of that warmed over V6 with the long tubes!

I will see what I can do in the next week or two. Just slogging thru some electrical and brakes currently. what fun...........
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: